• Please log in to reply
653 replies to this topic

#406 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Bought a new fuel hose, ran it and removed the inline Honda filter, It was hard to start, put carb back to manual start up settings then it fired right up, still the choke needed to be on or it would die issue. Ran it low and high for awhile, adjusted the high needle and played with the choke at the same time, finally I got the high set where it would run without the choke on "Yea", Ran it for awhile in Low and High and made some more tweaks, runs great except for a little pinging and little popping from muffler, I think its the ethanol gas, I put some Stay Foam in the tank.

Now what the heck is wrong with my wire harness?

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#407 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Spain

glad you got it running

I think you should make a new wiring harness, that way you know how it goes together and solve a lot of problems

I have been looking at the wiring harness on my 69 112 and it is very bad

touched a couple of wires and they broke

some old wiring harness can be come very brittle when the garden tractors are left outside for long periods of time

sometimes buying old used wiring harness can put you back trying to figure out why things are not workings

for wiring - look for auto repair shop that make new wiring harness and ask for they scrap wiring - you should get it cheap

or go the a junk yard and cut the wires out of a wrecked car 

the gauge of the wire might be a little heavier, but at less you have different color wires

you should buy new wire connectors - both male and female connectors

I wish you were a lot closer - I like making and repairing wiring harness

• Navy Chief said thank you

#408 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 09:15 AM

Spain

glad you got it running

I think you should make a new wiring harness, that way you know how it goes together and solve a lot of problems

some old wiring harness can be come very brittle when the garden tractors are left outside for long periods of time

sometimes buying old used wiring harness can put you back trying to figure out why things are not workings

for wiring - look for auto repair shop that make new wiring harness and ask for they scrap wiring - you should get it cheap

the gauge of the wire might be a little heavier, but at less you have different color wires

Yea Im considering the harness, Im going to checked that PTO switch first. Im wondering if that putting popping from the muffle is a points adjustment, I don't remember it doing that before.

#409 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like timing / points to me. That will directly impact carb adjustment too

#410 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 02:34 PM

Ok will check points again, I messed with them the other day when I was trying to get it running, Its cold here today and I gave it a little choke a little gas and it fired right up first time, ckoke off  ran good. That's a good TEST when its cold if it will fire.

• Trav1s said thank you

#411 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 03:45 PM

you have to be very close.  With the old RF 110 k181 I found timing to be more critical at operating temps than cold. Not sure why. 

#412 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Spain

glad you got it running

Can I hot wire that PTO switch? I don't know if its working or not, would like to have it open so I can check to see if it runs

#413 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Spain

msg-30322-0-43661100-1385150511_thumb.jp

does not arm on the PTO safety switch move freely?

I had one that was frozen and I used PB Blast on it and it freed it up.

if you have an ohm meter you should check it

when the PTO lever is in the start position ( all the way to the left and in the up position) it allows the current to turn over the starter 

when the PTO lever is not in the start position it does not allow current to go to the starter

it the PTO safety switch is bad - at this time you can use a wire to connect the two wires that go to the PTO safety switch (bypassing the switch).  Transalxe neutral  safety switch and the PTO safety switch are on the same line that goes to the starter solinoid

110 wiring.png

110 wiring 2.png

if you forget to slide the PTO lever back to the start position the PTO clutch will be engaged when you try to start the motor.

• Trav1s and Navy Chief have said thanks

#414 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Thanks Lyall!  

• lyall said thank you

#415 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Cycled the PTO switch NO JOY but it does move then Hot wired the PTO switch NO JOY, the started will turn over either way! It just wont start, only starts with a hot wire directly from the battery to the resistor block. I guess the wiring harness is bad not allowing enough current to the resistor block to fire the ignition system, I had it working before after I changed the ignition switch but then it went back to not enough fire power.

#416 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Found the Kohler dealer today in Alvin a little town down the road from my house, I bought a new in line Kohler filter, its actually a lot bigger than the Honda one I had on there should work great.

#417 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Worked all day on the Deere:

1. Tried to wire it per the wiring diagram for the 110 vice the way it originally was per Grandpa, DO NOT DO THAT!! It smoked checked the white wire which the diagram says is the ignition power  wire!! Fried the whole wire smoke everywhere, I was lucky it didn't fry the new switch.

2. Ran new wire and wired it per GRANDPA, the white wire per Grandpa goes to the NEG side of the coil, per GRANDPA the power wire to the resistor block comes off the ORANGE Power and connects to the accessory block.

3. Removed the battery and checked wiring removed shielding I found another ORANGE wire very damaged no shielding and not many wires left, repaired wire, found two plug ends connectors messed up repaired also.

4. Deere now FIRES OFF from its own wiring system and runs and ohm meter now works and shows movement.

5. While running the Deere I thought I had a shut off problem running at mid range the tractor doesn't turn off with the key, but move it to idle and it does turn off, I read the manual and the sticker on the tractor and BY GEORGE its says move to IDLE turn off key to shut down, so its does what it suppose to

6. Installed new Kohler fuel filter in line WORK GREAT!!

7.  HAPPY I FIXED THE WIRING and CARB PROBLEM!!!!,

8. Now I have a new issues, its been cold here all week, now I have a slow OIL leak, its coming from the bolt that holds the throttle arm on the engine and I have a small head leak, I see a little air coming out with black., So I guess I need a new head gasket, don't know bout the throttle arm leak how to repair that?

Went to grease the zerts of my new lift arm and others under there, Only one would take grease, that's blows I sprayed it with spray grease, guess I will try to replace the zerts ,

9. The Starter sometimes hums when trying to start other times it works hope it isn't going bad.

I'm tired a lot for one day.

Note: If you look at this 1968 JD Wiring harness on Ebay, it is wired the same as mine per GRANDPA, note the Orange accessory plug and the blue wiring coming out of it, this blue wire is what goes to the ignition system Resistor block as mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• $(KGrHqZ,!qgFIbDgcQfOBSLM1C1cu!~~60_57.jpg

Edited by Spain, November 27, 2013 - 07:34 PM.

• Trav1s said thank you

#418 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Spain

looks like you had a good day

glad to hear how things are going

I hoped you enjoyed yourself today - you should be proud of yourself

Glen

#419 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Great news - Glad to hear the hard work has paid off!

#420 Navy Chief ONLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 09:36 PM

It runs great but has some oil leaks now