• Please log in to reply
652 replies to this topic

#301 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:10 PM

1971 Deere so you would put a different type coil in there? what 12V vice 6V? then you could remove the resitor block

#302 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 11:11 PM

I couldnt find my old carb needle to try it back in the carb I guess I threw it away

#303 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:30 AM

1971 Deere so you would put a different type coil in there? what 12V vice 6V? then you could remove the resitor

You can replace it, I don't think its necessary. The replacement coil would be labeled 12 volt No external resistor required. As long as there is a resistor, external or internal, you should be fine.

Older cars with points actually bypass the external resistor when the starter is engaged. This puts full 12 volts on coil for hotter spark when starting the engine. The it goes back to the lower voltage from the resistor, so the coil will not overheat.

• Navy Chief said thank you

#304 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Part 2

I took the cover off the engine, it had 3 other wires going behind the fly wheel from the wiring harness connector, if you look at the 110 wiring diagram it shows 2 brown wires coming off of the voltage regulator down to that connector and the white one going to the ignition switch.

The diagram shows that the two brown wires go to the AC stator, I looked in there one wire comes out the front side and its cut the other hooks to the negative side of the coil the other I don't know where it goes, I hooked into the one cut wire connected it to the resistor and it has spark on the spark plug so I guess that's the power wire, the power wire that grandpa had hooked up connected to the accessory connection. I think this would probably be better because it goes thru the voltage regulator per the wiring diagram.

See attached  PHOTO  It Also it has a big wire coming out the front from behind the fly wheel  of it looks like a TV cable wire, anybody have this? You can see in this pic the cut power wire and the Neg Ignition wire hooked to the coil and the red power wire coming from the accessory plug which is hooked to the positive side of the coil, that's how grandpa had it.

Note on the connector side it only has 3 small wires No big wire

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1036.jpg

Edited by Spain, October 16, 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#305 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 07:16 PM

the wire the the three wire connection - yes two wire are for  the AC stator and the other wire comes from the switch and goes to the positive side of the coil.  The the negitive side of the coil goes to the points and the condenser also connects to the negitive side of the coil

Edited by lyall, October 16, 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#306 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 10:40 PM

That is the original spark plug wire from the magneto.

Doesn't Show well, but here is my k181 magneto motor repainted to put in my 1971.

P8190007.JPG

• Trav1s and Navy Chief have said thanks

#307 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 06:57 PM

Jeff thanks a million now I know what that wire is, it also has another power wire coming out of there, I capped it off.

Also today thru my reverse engineering, I found out why grandpa put that toggle switch in there, the motor wont shut off, the ignition switch is bad, I jiggled it and it shutdown.

The white power wire from the ignition switch to the coil is power per the wiring diagram, Grandpa had it hooked to the Negative side of the coil don't know why? but it does NOTHING! I disconnected it and motor still ran, when the motor wouldn't shut off I hooked it back up and it still wouldn't shut off, so the wire is dead. I also hooked it to the positive side and it does nothing either its not hot He got power by running an accessory wire to the coil. I think the white wire doesn't work either because the switch is bad and he connected a hot wire to the accessory connection to get good power.

Im going to order the new switch now

We can write a book after this is over

Still having issues with the carb runs great if you squirt carb cleaner in there, wont start with the gas and choke on, I chocked it and am getting no gas on the spark plug but some does run out of the front of the carb but not making it to the camber, sounds like float adjustment

Edited by Spain, October 17, 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#308 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Put fourth coat of green on the hood tonight looks awesome

#309 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Finished last coat of JD Green on hood last night, today my wife helped me and install the hood stickers (No Bubbles) she did a better job than me.

Ordered from JD today new crome hood bolts and hardware, Another carb rebuild kit, and a new ignition switch and key

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1506.JPG
  • IMG_1510.JPG

Edited by Spain, October 18, 2013 - 11:06 PM.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#310 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:16 PM

Looks sweet!  What kind of paint are you using?

#311 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Finished last coat of JD Green on hood last night, today my wife helped me and install the hood stickers (No Bubbles) she did a better job than me.

:thumbs: Nice.

#312 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Supply Sarge Rustoleum John Deere Green like $9.93 a can on Amazon  http://www.amazon.co...ohn deere paint

I also like Travis AG Green but I think this one looked closer to my John Deere original color, I think this one is classic

Edited by Spain, October 18, 2013 - 06:53 PM.

• SupplySergeant said thank you

#313 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:02 PM

that is one great looking hood

be care not to wax it too much - sun glare

#314 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 08:43 PM

No wax just paint

#315 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,084 Thanks
  • 658 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Supply Sarge Rustoleum John Deere Green like $9.93 a can on Amazon  http://www.amazon.co...ohn deere paint

I also like Travis AG Green but I think this one looked closer to my John Deere original color, I think this one is classic

Nice! I didn't realize it was rattle-can paint, that really makes your craftsmanship look even better.

• Trav1s and Navy Chief have said thanks