652 replies to this topic

#16 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • Member No: 30322
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Two of the tires keep loosing air

Looks to be an earlier '68 as it has the RF style steering wheel with the large center cap.  The tag would either be on the pedestal below the dash or on the right side of the tractor which is not in any of the pics. 

One more thought: Those tires are made of a softer compound than the other types available.  If you plan on using it regularly either keep it off of concrete/asphalt or swap on different tires.  Restoration guys want those in good condition.

• CharlesDes and larisaPn have said thanks

#17 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:51 PM

S/N tag

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0026.JPG
  • IMG_0028.JPG

#18 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 10:51 PM

S/N tag shows T064 TYPE and S/N 112518M

Edited by Spain, March 13, 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#19 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Today I ordered off ebay the new gas gauge and cap, and the new fuel filter bowl, I couldnt get the gummed up one to come apart even after soaking it for a day, I also ordered the Carter N carb kit for the replacement items, I cleaned the carb in the soaking bucket for a day she came out nice.

I removed the spark plug today and put in Marvel Mysterl oil in the top cylinder to lube it before I do the test start, next finish the fuel tank cleaning put her all back together and buy the battery.

I still cant get the mower deck arm gear to lock into positions the button moves now but dont lock.

Edited by Spain, March 13, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#20 Kevin Vasich OFFLINE  

Kevin Vasich

• Member No: 7211
  • 87 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 07:49 PM

:welcometogttalk:  :smiley-score010:

#21 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 14, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Today I continued the MEK in the fuel tank to clean the sludge, I drained the old oil out of the engine.

#22 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Fuel Tank is not cooperating, MEk did not get the hard varnish out, I soaked it with gas also. shook it alot the basic gummy slug is out, but the varnish like paint chips just shakes in the reserve tank. I put paint stripper in their trying to dissolve the hard varnish chips. Hope it works.

I received the new Carp kit, carb is cleaned I now have to rebuild it then install.

• hunteru said thank you

#23 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 09:55 PM

IMG_0030.JPG New carp Kit

Edited by Spain, March 17, 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#24 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 11:31 AM

How to hook up the battery? Which battery cable is positive the one to the motor or the other one to the component? (See Pics)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0034.JPG
  • IMG_0035.JPG

#25 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 11:34 AM

The wire in the first picture is the ground which attaches to the head.   The wire in the 2nd pic is the positive which is attached to the solenoid.

• Navy Chief said thank you

#26 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 12:02 PM

The wire in the first picture is the ground which attaches to the head.   The wire in the 2nd pic is the positive which is attached to the solenoid.

:ditto:

yep, the wire that is bolted to the motor is a ground(-) wire.  The other one goes to the (+) on the battery.

by the way, be careful with that methl eythl keytone...it may eat more that u want it too.  I would reccommend carbutator cleaner or brake cleaner (brake and carb cleaner are made of the same chemmys)

an old trick I know of for cleaning out the rust and gunk in a metal gas tank is a combination of BB's and acetone.  put a handful of BB's in the tank along with a cup or so of acetone and shake the crap out of the tank.  pour off the dirty junk and do it again a couple of times.  The Acetone cleans up the tank and the BB's break up the rust, etc.  a mechanic at the local lawn mower shop gave me this tip.

Edited by James henry, March 21, 2013 - 12:13 PM.

• Trav1s and Navy Chief have said thanks

#27 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:16 PM

GAS TANK Crude Varnish Rust!!

Your right on the MEK, it didnt work that good had  22 year old varnish and thick crude oil like solid paint and probaly rust and chips, I put stripper in there as reccm on line, it cleaned it out really good but it has now developed a pin hole which Im going to patch tonight with JBL. I cant do the BB thing cause it has a reserve chamber in there that was really hard to get cleaned out, seems like it has a small passage that allows gas to go over into it and fill up, I woulndt want BBs to go over there. I soaked it two more times with gas and carp cleaner, no other chips or black stuff come out now. You would not have believed the black stuff and chips that came out of there.

• Trav1s said thank you

#28 tractorman604 OFFLINE  

tractorman604
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 683
  • 269 Thanks
  • 694 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:29 PM

You gonna love that tractor.......NICE :thumbs:

• Navy Chief said thank you

#29 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 21, 2013 - 02:43 PM

I will say this Grandpa had installed a brass fuel shutoff valve before the carb and he turned it off, thus I only had to clean and put the new kit in the carb, if that balck crude had got to the carb Id be talking another story. Im getting the fuel line today then its go time with the start up!! Wish me luck

• Trav1s said thank you

#30 Navy Chief OFFLINE  

Navy Chief
  • 152 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted March 22, 2013 - 08:09 PM

HELP!! Ok all I fixed the gas tank pin hole, installed it with the new JD filter bowl, I now have gas to the Carb, I cleaned the battery cables hook up. The engine cranks really good but wont start I took the spark plug out and it smells like gas, the old spark is fairly black so I went and bought a new one will try tomorrow any other suggestions? PS I checked the piston to see if it had compression with the spark plug out yes it does.

SO CLOSE