• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • Member No: 27851
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:31 PM

I am going thru the wiring on my 444 I finally got the motor back together and I hooked up most all of my wires but I am at a stop with a couple from the voltage regulator. At the backside of the regulator there is 1 single wire hookup that I cannot remember where it went to also when I fired it up last night I found out my ignition switch was cooked the post for the battery was broken on the inside allowing it to spin around freely. That kept it from turning over but I improvised and hooked up a jumper from the positive post on the battery to the positive on the coil. Then I hooked up my jumper box direct to the ground on the motor and touched it to the starter post it turned over about 6 times and fired right up sounded great. So I went today over to NAPA store and got the closest thing I could to a new starter ignition switch but its got 5 posts on it where my old one had 4. Anyways i was having a hard time remembering where that wire from the back of the regulator went. Its just got a single post on the backside and 3 post on the opposite side. Its been apart in the past and I am hoping that they wired it back as it should be. Thanks in advance guys I also looked at my wiring diagram but I cannot make out where that wire goes I really need to pick your Brains thanks again
  • Moosetales said thank you

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Best advice is to make sure you have right service and parts manual per serial # and order the right factory parts, it will save you troubles down the road and doesn't really cost any more if you buy from a good dealer, like Brian from http://www.salempwr.com/

• bigdaddy198 said thank you

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:25 PM

EZGO golf cars. Shopezgo.com sells key switches that are 4 prong. I now have a case 444 and will be switching my key switch over to that.

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:42 PM

http://www.shopezgo....rs-w%40FLights-(Standard-Key).html?product_id=1860

#5 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:44 PM

EZGO golf cars. Shopezgo.com sells key switches that are 4 prong. I now have a case 444 and will be switching my key switch over to that.

Why not the factory one?

#6 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:05 PM

From ezgo? Only 2 prong on the back.

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Ohhh why am I switching? Mine is very rusted and terminals on the back loose.

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:24 PM

Ohhh why am I switching? Mine is very rusted and terminals on the back loose.

I see, but using the factory switch doesn't require any wiring, just plug and play. :smilewink: Over the years I seen this question so many times on Case GT's, and it usually ends up bad, where as getting the proper part is easy. It starts with I changed my switch with a ABC and now it won't charge, or lights don't work, It cranks but won't run etc. :D  Both of my Cases have new cheap factory switches that replaced working ones, but I have good back-ups now plus no electrical problems. :thumbs:

• JDBrian, Arti and bigdaddy198 have said thanks

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Mine wouldn't turn over when I hooked my battery up today. One headlight turned on then flickered. I am going to clean the ground tomorrow. I did jump the solenoid and it turned over fine. 

The wiring on this is/was terribly done. All the ends are loose and not crimped correctly. So it all needs to be redone correctly. Since all my wiring is black, I need to find out what goes where.

#10 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Mine wouldn't turn over when I hooked my battery up today. One headlight turned on then flickered. I am going to clean the ground tomorrow. I did jump the solenoid and it turned over fine. 

The wiring on this is/was terribly done. All the ends are loose and not crimped correctly. So it all needs to be redone correctly. Since all my wiring is black, I need to find out what goes where.

If it's that bad, get the right wiring diagram and make a new harness, solder all connections, good for another 30 years. Pain to do but so worth the time involved, as it seems most gt problems are either fuel or electrical related.

• Moosetales and bigdaddy198 have said thanks

#11 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 10:04 PM

I am going thru the wiring on my 444 I finally got the motor back together and I hooked up most all of my wires but I am at a stop with a couple from the voltage regulator. At the backside of the regulator there is 1 single wire hookup that I cannot remember where it went to also when I fired it up last night I found out my ignition switch was cooked the post for the battery was broken on the inside allowing it to spin around freely. That kept it from turning over but I improvised and hooked up a jumper from the positive post on the battery to the positive on the coil. Then I hooked up my jumper box direct to the ground on the motor and touched it to the starter post it turned over about 6 times and fired right up sounded great. So I went today over to NAPA store and got the closest thing I could to a new starter ignition switch but its got 5 posts on it where my old one had 4. Anyways i was having a hard time remembering where that wire from the back of the regulator went. Its just got a single post on the backside and 3 post on the opposite side. Its been apart in the past and I am hoping that they wired it back as it should be. Thanks in advance guys I also looked at my wiring diagram but I cannot make out where that wire goes I really need to pick your Brains thanks again

This is the most common hookup for a 5 pin switch.. You don't have a Magneto on your tractor You have an ignition coil,  so this switch isn't really compatible with what you have.  It really is a time saver to get the correct switch.

B -  battery
S - starter solenoid
R - regulator
M -  magneto
A - Accessory

#12 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 10:12 PM

If it's that bad, get the right wiring diagram and make a new harness, solder all connections, good for another 30 years. Pain to do but so worth the time involved, as it seems most gt problems are either fuel or electrical related.

When soldering wires use the shrink wrap wire cover; secure, protected and looks slick.

#13 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 10:16 PM

Here are a few pics from my 1971 444. In one of the pics below you can kinda see my ignition switch. I have  a newer/older switch. I believe it's an after market.

2013-03-12 21.23.57.jpg

2013-03-12 21.24.07.jpg

2013-03-12 21.24.14.jpg

2013-03-12 21.24.29.jpg

2013-03-12 21.25.03.jpg

#14 bigdaddy198 OFFLINE  

bigdaddy198
  • Member No: 27851
  • 36 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Now I got my switch and its a 5 pin but they are marked B , S , I ,A ,
R so my I post should go coil correct but the A post is that what I use for the lite and the bad part is that there is only one position on the switch other than start so I am thinking it was set up for a tractor with a glow plug but It said good for a wheelhorse on the pkg but I could not test it until I got home so I know I will be getting another switch. But also I need to know where that single post on the backside of the regulator goes to that one of my major snags. I really want to thank you guys though your on this like a pack of dogs on a 3 legged cat

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 05:15 AM

Got a pic of that regulator? How many wires going from the alternator to the regulator? How many connectors on the regulator? I think some regulators have the 12V DC on the back side.