Mf 16 Battery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jayjay OFFLINE  

• Member No: 635
  • 15 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm using a standard lawn tractor in my MF16 which does not seem to have enough cranking amps to turn the engine sometimes. Does anyone have any idea what battery this tractor should use? I was planning to get a battery that works with a 4 banger and stick it in her.

#2 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think the standard L&G batteries are 220 cranking amps if i remember correctly.I think we put a 300 or 400 cranking amp L&G battery in my dads 14.They use the same battery as the 16.The only thing the book says is 43 amperes.Thats not on the batteries at all.The car battery would work also,You might have to change cable ends though.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi JayJay.

Have you checked, and cleaned all the electrical connections in the circuit?

Is the starter good? Do you have another starter you can try?

They do get tired. Maybe take it apart, and clean it up.

With good connections, good starter, I've never had a problem with any battery, on

my K321's, or K341's.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,721 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:06 PM

It should spin it over fine, assuming the battery, cables, solenoid, and starter are all within specs.

Is there a pattern to when it seems sluggish? After sitting, after hot, etc?

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi JayJay, Looks like we are nearly neighbors.  First, I'm going to say, if at some point you don't want that MF16 any longer, I'd love to have dibs on it.

Lawn and Garden batteries do come in different ratings, I've noticed.  Try looking at the cold cranking ratings and find the largest you can.  Also, there is a Honda-style battery for cars that has more capacity than the L&G, I've got one in my MF12G.  It was an Optimus brand that I got used from the local Advance Auto.  Good luck with it, and if you think you want some help trouble shooting, send me a message.

PS, you could try taking that battery in to one of the local auto supply places, most of them will do a free battery check and tell you if your battery is up to snuff.  You might also have a charging issue.

#6 jayjay OFFLINE  

• Member No: 635
  • 15 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys for your responses. I think I may try the Honda battery as suggested. :wave:

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Even the smaller amp GT batteries usually crank over the K's with ring gear starter.  If it's not a weak battery, then your valve clearances may be so wide the auto compression release system (ACR) may be disabled, which WILL cause hard cranking.  The ACR works through your exhaust valve to ever so slightly crack it open to dump some dompression to help it turn over faster.  Then your ACR cam built onto the camshaft could be faulty too.  Just something to take a look into if a good battery & checking all cables/connections doesn't do the trick.

• IamSherwood said thank you