• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:44 PM

If you have ever used a snowblower in the wind, you know how nice it would be to have a cab. Well, before next winter my 1614 is going to have a cab on it even though I only used it to blow snow with twice this year. I'm not going to spend a lot of money on a cab to use a couple of times during the winter.

SO, what I am looking for is ideas/ pictures of homemade or factory cabs you guys might have.

I started building yesterday, but I didn't get very far when I realized the steering wheel was gonna keep me from easily making the cab. So I'm back to the drawing board.  I think it going to wind up an offset cab.

Another thing, anybody know where I can get window material?                                        

PK snow movers 003.JPG

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I've been threatening to build a cab for my 1614 for the last couple of years.    The bigger problem is you have to be able to open the hood to put gas in.

I figured the front of the cab would have to flip up so the hood can open and I believe I'd remove the fenders and build square fenders from scratch - likely built right in the cab.  It'd be easier to build something square than to try to seal to the round fenders. 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've thought about building a cab with 1/2" emt for the frame. Benders are easy to find for these. The cab doesn't even have to be real tight to help alot. I was thinking plexiglas with Rain-X for the windshield and 6 mil plastic for the sides. I was thinking of a plastic shower stall form for the top. Haven't really worked it out yet. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 12, 2013 - 08:03 PM.

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:42 PM

I've thought about building a cab with 1/2" emt for the frame. Benders are easy to find for these. The cab doesn't even have to be real tight to help alot. I was thinking plexiglas with Rain-X for the windshield and 6 mil plastic for the sides. I was thinking of a plastic shower stall form for the top. Haven't really worked it out yet. Good Luck, Rick

As simple as they sound to make, they do need to have a sturdy frame, as they are top heavy and move around a lot. Most factory ones bolt onto fenders and or frame. and the front mounts around feet area are usually pretty thick 3/16" - 1/4" for support. And trust me the plexiglass & RainX sounds like it should work, but it won't,you need to have a wiper or you will be stopping a lot to clear windshield. I have two factory cabs with real glass, try to find one and make it work is my best advise.  :thumbs:

P.S. I did have a cloth one from Sears that I got cheap(clearance) on a JD a while back had to make it work, but it did for 3 years,

but I could tell that was taken a beating as it wasn't really supported due to it wasn't made to fit a JD.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:47 PM

I've got an old canvass and plastic one from a cub that is shredded. Its frame is 1/4" rods. I got it as a basket case. John, you think it won't hold up? Iwas going to try to put cabs on several tractors for next winter. Thanks, Rick

#6 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've got an old canvass and plastic one from a cub that is shredded. Its frame is 1/4" rods. I got it as a basket case. John, you think it won't hold up? Iwas going to try to put cabs on several tractors for next winter. Thanks, Rick

The JD cab that I have on the Case 224 was only 150 bucks to me, as it sits took me an hour and 5 bucks to "make it work" and work it did this year, the other real Case factory one is for 446 and was only two hundred, that one gets so hot you can work in a tee shirt. Like anything sure you could make anything work, but I would try to find a cab to start with, both of the ones I have I found when I wasn't even looking for them, I know they will both last a long time with very little maintenance, I think long term, the biggest pain is storing them in the off season.

• boyscout862 said thank you