24 replies to this topic

#16 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Nice finds. From what I have heard the Onans are beasts.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Nice finds. From what I have heard the Onans are beasts.

I love both of mine!

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:36 AM

So those Sears twins brought you back from the full size?  Man, those Onan's look huge.  Are the engines that big or are the tractors a little small?  Great herd.

#19 Sherrie OFFLINE  

Sherrie
  • Member No: 27415
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Congrats, Gumby on your find!

High gear on my SS16 is powerful with the Onan twins. I can sometime pop a wheelie. :) Happy gardening!

#20 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:10 AM

So those Sears twins brought you back from the full size?  Man, those Onan's look huge.  Are the engines that big or are the tractors a little small?  Great herd.

I've never seen a flywheel on a Onan but it's the shroud and the flywheel cover that makes it look huge. I am not sure if the flywheel is that round or not because Im a newbie to Onan engines. Opposing Horizontal Shaft Kohler/Briggs is the same size.

High gear on my SS16 is powerful with the Onan twins. I can sometime pop a wheelie. :) Happy gardening!

I have found out that I can pop wheelies with my SS16. I have done it mainly in 3rd/High Gear. The Onans are some tough engines IF they are running!

#21 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 07:50 AM

nice score. keep us updated on the non runner

• SearsYellow said thank you

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Good Score!!  Between my mother and myself, we have 3 Sears GT/SS tractors.  All have Onan 18 hps... (the SS16 was repowered with an 18).

Mine was a workhorse for me last year...

Mom has had it since early winter to clear her lane of snow. Her GT 18 has fuel delivery problems that I haven't been able to fix, even with a LP electric pump...

(how does she manage to get all my running tractors???)

Regards,

Smitty

Attached Thumbnails

• GT18 Plowing2 10 02 212.JPG
  • GT18 Plowing6 10 02 212.JPG
  • GT18 Plowing SEAT TIME 10 02 212.JPG

#23 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Just don't pop a wheelie liked I did with my GT18.  I was driving it up the ramp on my trailer and it came over backward on me... pinned me in the seat... I couldn't even reach and shut the engine off.  Fortunately my wife and daughter saw me, and came over to get it off... however it took them and a neighbor to do it... heavy beast they are...

Smitty

• MH81 said thank you

#24 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Yeah the non runner has a electrical issue. I believe it needs a switch. The selenoid is not clicking when the key is turned. I took the selenoid off and tested it and it worked great then. Im thinking the switch is bad. I tried a few switches I had in the building but none of them seemed to work (made sure the letters were the same on the posts). I'll just have to buy a new switch because obviously the ones I tried is laying around my building for a reason. 

I hooked the jump box to the starter and it turned over great. I only kept it on there for a second just to make sure the starter was working correctly. I got a mailbox full of parts today . I got a carb from my chipper shredder and a fuel pump for tiller. Those should be running today and after those are running I'll start messing with the sears again.

nice score. keep us updated on the non runner

#25 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted March 19, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've never seen a flywheel on a Onan but it's the shroud and the flywheel cover that makes it look huge. I am not sure if the flywheel is that round or not because Im a newbie to Onan engines. Opposing Horizontal Shaft Kohler/Briggs is the same size.

I have found out that I can pop wheelies with my SS16. I have done it mainly in 3rd/High Gear. The Onans are some tough engines IF they are running!

The Onans do take up alot of space under the Sears hood. The flywheel tin covers the starter, flywheel, and some of motor, still big engines either way.

I can do wheelies with my single OH160 too :smilewink: