Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tractor Shows, Your Prized Possessions, And Children.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I used to be particular about anyone other than me touching (even touching) my tractors, and mine are no where near perfect. But... I have eased off in the last few years. I started pulling keys after I had a close call with a near run away tractor while demonstrating that one required no choke to start with the key (I had left it in gear). I have gotten less serious about keeping people off my tractors. I don't care as long as they have permission from me, or I give it to the kids after the fact (what can I say, I went soft lol).

I do have a funny story though. This ole feller let me plow with a Massey Harris last year and told me to drop the plows with one good yank (ie: not a love tug). So one yank later the rope was shorter lol. Another pull and the rope got even shorter LOL. After that the rules changed to go easy on the rope, but tug it meaningfully lol. By the way, Thanks Alan, put a giant smile on my face.
  • MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#17 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:01 PM

I used to be particular about anyone other than me touching (even touching) my tractors, and mine are no where near perfect. But... I have eased off in the last few years. I started pulling keys after I had a close call with a run away tractor while demonstrating that one required no choke to start with the key (I had left it in gear). I have gotten less serious about keeping people off my tractors. I don't care as long as they have permission from me, or I give it to the kids after the fact (what can I say, I went soft lol).

I do have a funny story though. This ole feller let me plow with a Massey Harris last year and told me to drop the plows with one good yank (ie: not a love tug). So one yank later the rope was shorter lol. Another pull and the rope got even shorter LOL. After that the rules changed to go easy on the rope, but tug it meaningfully lol. By the way, Thanks Alan, put a giant smile on my face. :D

Dear Beanpole buzzmaster, You did not have a smile on your face when some big kid tried to hijack your electric springy thingy. You threatened to have CaseGuy moderate me....er the big kid. The look on your face was priceless! Thanks Buddy! :poke: 

Shawn

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, Littledeere and 2 others have said thanks

#18 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Here's my 2 cents,I understand the need to keep kids off a show tractor both to protect the tractor as well as protect the child from a possible accident,unless a child is just being a total brat about things be firm but polite when shooing them away,you never know one incident of being yelled at or treated very rudely at a show just might be enough to turn a kid away from the hobby forever.

• Gtractor, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:10 PM

Dear Beanpole buzzmaster, You did not have a smile on your face when some big kid tried to hijack your electric springy thingy. You threatened to have CaseGuy moderate me....er the big kid. The look on your face was priceless! Thanks Buddy! :poke:

Shawn

Said big kid knew better LOL.

The Electric Springfield was too dangerous at that stage of the build. Between the runaway capability and the brakes being either off or on (inducing automatic skids) it was too big a liability to leave it in the hands of anyone other than myself. I do plan to have it upgraded this year and actually safe for anyone to operate. I will also give it a leash attachment so it could be operated by kids under my supervision if their parents allow them, sorry Shawn LOL.

• tractorgarden, Littledeere and tinbender7 have said thanks

#20 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 12:07 AM

I haven't had the Panzer at a show yet, but I did take it up the road to a neighbor's garage sale last summer, instead of walking or driving my truck.  I parked it out by a big tree in the yard in the middle of his sale.  Kids were climbing all over it, grown men had never seen one like it. 

• MH81, tractorgarden, Littledeere and 2 others have said thanks

#21 GT Man OFFLINE  

GT Man

• Member No: 139
  • 38 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:24 AM

I will never forget my attempt to protect several restored Cadets, left them on a trailer which was to high for small kids to crawl on, no problem ....I thought. Left the site for a while only to return and find 3 40-50 yeard old men shacking the Original by the lift lever.......not just kids. For the most part you can spot the trouble makers!

• MH81, tractorgarden and Littledeere have said thanks

#22 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Like GT Man said, some supposed adults are even worse.

• MH81, Littledeere and boyscout862 have said thanks

#23 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:48 AM

When the adults have no respect for other peoples things the kids just don't know any better.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#24 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 10:54 AM

I too encourage supervised exploration of most of my stuff at shows.  I keep one of my really easy to start Briggs 5S' out where I can let kids try and start it with my instruction and supervision, when it fires up the smiles make it worth it.  My worst nightmare at a show was an adult who picked up, started and waved my big old Mall chain saw around with his kids standing right there while I was at the other end of our display.....  Darn thing started first pull, never would do it for me....  Quit taking it to shows after that.

• Littledeere said thank you

#25 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 11:56 AM

That's what I mean. He had no business touching it much less starting it.

#26 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 12:21 PM

I was at the tractor show last fall in Chilicothe and got to meet grnspot110 in person.  Heck of a nice guy.  And he had some way cool tractors too!

I completely understand the need to corral the youngsters activities around the machinery.  And I think it is a fine idea to give them 1 or 2 tractors they can climb on, with adult supervision.  Just remember to take the spark plug and the key out of them first.

As for adults, with supervision, they should be allowed to climb on them 1 or 2 of them too.  After all, aren't we all just big kids? 

• grnspot110 and Littledeere have said thanks

#27 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 02:30 PM

I forgot to add this. On the 630 it has a different brake system than most people and most people and kids don't know how to use it so it usually stays put. Parking brakes are always engaged.

#28 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Another thing to think about: safety switches, I don't have seat switches on all my tractors, but all neutral start & PTO safety   switches work!  ~~  Lowell

• IamSherwood said thank you

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:26 PM

I've learned alot here so far. Thanks guys for all the info/input/ideas.

I'm sure there are a few us that have benifited for all the responses.

I guess, another part of this conversation, that should be considered, is

liability.

Do you carry your own coverage, or does it fall under the show's coverage?

Not to beat a dead horse, but accidents are never planned.

I'm just trying to be the devils advocate here, and learn.

Is this an issue you take to heart, and what measures do you take?

#30 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:46 PM

I guess we will all have to start packing our "Not responsible for accidents" signs around and liability waivers.....

I honestly don't care about the insurance piece of it because I believe that as long as my equipment works, and they have my and parents permission than the liability would fall on the parent. Now, if they don't have my permission and take the item, then it is stolen, and if they happen to get hurt using it without my permission, than it is their fault. Generally I like to be at small shows because if people know you and your stuff, they do keep an eye out for ya. I generally just make sure I know the other presenters around me and then when I walk away and something is a miss, it is realized before it gets out of control.

But I practice keys go with me or the battery is disconnected if it doesn't have a key switch. Might add a kill switch to the Farmalls though, cause those will cause way more damage than a GT if someone gets any ideas.

• IamSherwood said thank you