Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Tractor Shows, Your Prized Possessions, And Children.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Children are attracted to shiny things. They like to climb

on them.

As much as we all like to get the younger generation

involed/interested in the GT hobby, it must bring on some

trying situations.

How do you deal with it?

Do you have any spine tingling storys to tell?

• Bolens 1000, MH81, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#2 1978murray OFFLINE  

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:35 PM

at work (homedepot) where i am right now. the kids love to climb on the tractors.  It seems like the parents are the ones stopping the kids from enjoying these tractors.  Like today there was two brothers fighting over a tractor they both wanted on and their mother made them leave the store with their dad, LOL

• MH81, tractorgarden, Littledeere and 2 others have said thanks

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:44 PM

I try to stay pretty close as much as I can.  Have had a few "looks" when I tell them no, including from parents!  My signs posted at each end of my display do get some attention:

Tractor Shows 2011 001 - Copy.JPG

DSCN0079 - Copy - Copy.JPG

This one reads:      "I DON'T CLIMB ON YOURS"

"PLEASE DON'T CLIMB ON MINE"

HPIM0586 - Copy.JPG

• NUTNDUN, Bolens 1000, josh deaven and 8 others have said thanks

#4 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I agree with Lowell.I normal take a runabout tractor to shows.That is the tractor that I let kids climb on and enjoy. :thumbs:

• MH81, tractorgarden, Littledeere and 2 others have said thanks

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,669 Thanks
  • 28,318 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:05 PM

I almost didnt respond to this thread as I don't want anyone to think I was passing judgement or be pretentious enough to tell someone else what to do with their baby. That said, I decided it wasn't fair to omit my opinion either as the OP asked an honest and earnest question.

That said, a long time ago, we had to make a decision with the tractors we were restoring.
We were restoring my Grandpa's TO 20, My Dad' MH 50, and my MH81 and we had witnessed people who would literally scream at children who dared to touch a tire, let alone be so bold as to ask to sit on their tractors.

My parents and I decided we were in the hobby to share what we had. To show people how it used to be done or the tractor Dad grew up driving. We decided that there would never be a tractor to shiny for a little kid to sit on supervised. We knew that if we got a scratch on one, we would feel bad... But it was worth the price to see the hundreds of smiles.

I have been involved with tractor shows for over 20 years, and in those years I have cherished the memories of a little upturned face listening to me, my parents, their parents as they hear the tale of what this wonderful piece of equipment used to do and how it helped make this country what it is today... Then you can see the shyness creep in... They want to ask, but they can't be that bold... The look of amazement when you ask them if they want to sit on your tractor. Priceless.

Some of my favorite pictures from shows were of friends, family, and strangers kids sitting on my 81 or one of the others and just grinning.

Do they all look like the day we painted them? Of course not. But each little mark, be it kid caused or from actual use is a badge of honor and I'm proud they have these imperfections.

And now I couldn't be prouder of my Children as they are starting to do the same. They offer to let little ones sit on them and my son seems to have my gift for gab, as I have witnessed more than one youngster getting schooled on the benefits of owning a MF10. :D

Everyone needs to decide for themselves, its a personal decision that cant be made by anyone else, but for me and my family, we love the fact that we can share the stories and the more keisters that sit on our tin pan seats, the better.
  • Gtractor, OldBuzzard, hamman and 14 others have said thanks

#6 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Electric fence. No really this is a problem, I have told some kids at a show to get off a tractor (not mine),They said I will tell my dad,I said good. I continued walking through the show. Then this big burly almost Uncle Willie scary guy approached me with two teary eyed kids and said thanks. It was his tractor,his kids,he had gone to get them something to eat. Came back to two tattle tell kids,and muddy scratches all over his new paint. They got their hides tanned!

• Bolens 1000, MH81, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,451 Thanks
  • 17,089 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I have had my fair share of close encounters at shows as well and a few of my Tractors do have some Battle scars from kids climbing on them over the years :(

I put signs up and rope them off the best I can, which generally solves the problem. Occasionally you get one that will jump the chain and go run to the tractor but the parents usually grab them before they get on them. Last summer I had the Green Brier on display for the first time after bringing it back from the dead and just about had a heart attack when I saw a kid lift the chain and make a bee line towards it! Thankfully the parents were around to grab them before it was too late.

I'm all for getting the kids involved with the hobby but when you have countless hours and $$ invested in your prized possession tractors you want to keep them as nice looking as possible.

I'll have to print up myself one of those signs Lowell :D

• josh deaven, MH81, IamSherwood and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,384 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well put Alan! 

I encourage the little ones to touch and sit on my tractors.   I'm not sure it would be possible to keep the young-uns off my Bantam.  That tractor is just the right size and really draws them in.   If it means I get a few minor scratches or scrapes then so be it.  I get more "damage" from hauling them down Missouri's roads which sometimes resemble Hiroshima just after the A-bomb.   I painted them once and I'd be glad to paint them again if it turns a little ones attention to old iron or just makes their day and adventure to the tractor show more enjoyable. 

• MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#9 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:25 PM

I only have taken mine to two shows. The local antique show and the fair. If I can I'm pretty close to them. Otherwise, I got plenty of other friends that stick around and look out for me.

• MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,426 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I must add that my whole fleet is worker tractors now, I do not mind supervised visitors. When I had my 56 cub lo-boy all restored, I had a near miss at the Penns Cave show,  I went looking through out the show grounds; on my way back up the aisle, I saw my cub lurch forward,kids pulled the start rod. Good thing ignition was off. I did not want to put a master switch on it. Paint is bad enough, injury,or a lawsuit would be devastating.

• MH81, IamSherwood, Littledeere and 1 other said thanks

#11 Littledeere ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,540 Thanks
  • 1,438 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 07:50 PM

I will pass some judgement on this and looks like I'm in the runnig with most of the guys so far. I don't think any of the kids{or adults}should be on anyones tractor without  permission .And I'm not going to mind win I see a guy put up a sign asking not to touch his stuff.However if you take your things to a show you have to be ready to deal with what comes up I have hauled to and got there and something came loose and made a spot on something.I have talked to guys that have lost a tractor on the way to a show {this is not good }but should you stay home and leave your tractors at home too.I don't think that's what   most of us are about the people be they small or older I get just as big of a kick out of a 80 year old guy or a 3 year old boy seeing that pretty tractor for the first time in years or just for the first time.

We all need to keep in mind there  are little people around and pull the keys and do what we can to make everybody's day great

• MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 4 others have said thanks

#12 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:29 PM

I take it by the situation.  These things are a joy and I like to have younger ones experience that joy.  Most parents will ask and I oblige, stay close and try to explain some things while they pretend to drive.  They probably don't care about what I'm saying but I have had kids ask questions.  I had a real tense situation last summer at a show.  A couple came up with what I thought were two kids and asked if they could get pictures of them on the tractors.  I said sure and two kids quickly became about 8 and they jumped and climbed all over those tractors like they were at the playground.  I got to the point that I had to ask them to get off.  My show tractors aren't perfect by any stretch but that situation was just bad.  On the better side, I had my tractors at a local community day and this kid started asking some good questions about the tractor.  I was getting ready to load up and go home so I told this kid that I needed someone to drive it over to the trailer.  You should have seen his face.  I want people to experience these things and not just look at them.  It makes the experience personal.  I do not for one minute blame you guys who don't want people climbing on them.  Your machines have a far better quality restore than mine and I wouldn't want them scratched either.

• IamSherwood, tractorgarden, Littledeere and 3 others have said thanks

#13 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:31 PM

We all need to keep in mind there are little people around and pull the keys and do what we can to make everybody's day great

My tractors are not that nice that I would not use it for what ever task that needs to be done. I take them to showa for me and other people to enjoy. I do invite parents to let the small ones sit on them and the smiles are what I go there for. So far I have not had one damaged at a show, but I have had a lot of fun.I have done my tractors because I enjoy having,useing and working on them.The most irratating thing I have had happen is a man sitting on one of my tractors eating his lunch, I just walked up to him and took his picture and said my wife ain't gonna beleive this. He did come to me and apologized

Edited by tinbender7, March 11, 2013 - 10:13 PM.

• IamSherwood, tractorgarden, Littledeere and 1 other said thanks

#14 Arti OFFLINE  

• Member No: 11282
  • 1,266 Thanks
  • 955 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:48 PM

My experience is a bit different.. For many years I setup a t shirt airbrush stand at the local tractor show.. I was busy painting and a young lad drove up on a freshly restored Gibson Lever Steer..

After watching me paint on some shirts he decided to cruise the show,, So he pulled the starter cord and the Gibson roared to life on the first pull !!  He had left it IN Gear and immediately it went thru my tent. All the t shirts on display, my easel, airbrushes, and heat press went flying.

No body got hurt, So in short order I had put things somewhat back together.

The young lad gained some experience, I learned that you should expect the unexpected.

As I look back on it it is funnier now than it was at that time.. Strange but here we are 10 years later and the young lad and I are now very good friends.

• MH81, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 5 others have said thanks

#15 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:25 PM

My reason isn't as much about scratches as the fact that the parents who set their kids on somebody else's tractor without asking will be the first ones to sue when their little "darling" stubs his toe on that same tractor!  

If asked & I like the looks of the situation, I have certain tractors I'll allow it.  Usually, the L/60!  ~~  Lowell

• MH81, IamSherwood, Littledeere and 3 others have said thanks