Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Congrats on your acquisition!

Can you post some close-ups of the snowplow/grader blade please?  ......Can you read a model number on the blade?

Thanks!

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#18 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 03:20 AM

Can you post some close-ups of the snowplow/grader blade please?  ......Can you read a model number on the blade?

Thanks!

ae you thinking what im thinking? it looks like the special snow plow

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#19 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing but the Springs sticking out in the back make me think its a small frame blade.....

#20 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:45 AM

I was thinking the same thing but the Springs sticking out in the back make me think its a small frame blade.....

Brian:  Do you have any pics of a #18531 blade?  ....I have nothing in my paperwork.  .....What was the difference between the 18531 & 18532?

OK - I answered my own questions. 

I found a parts list for the #18531 Snowplow/grader blade online.  ....Also found a photo of one.  Or, is it? ... I'm not sure now if the blade in the pic below is a re-designed version of the #18531, or if it was an old blade adapted by someone to a tube-frame hitch.

It appears to be similar to the # 21531 Ride-A-Matic blade attachment, except the hitch has been adapted to fit the tube frames.  http://gardentractor...low-attachment/

The #18531 did not have any springs on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• gview.png
  • IMG_0521.JPG

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, March 12, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#21 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Bruce, I'll have to get a picture come Friday or Saturday. I unfortunately work out of town all week and it's killing me. No tinkering on the tractors until the weekend, and after the honey-do list is complete, and the kids are all fed, bathed, and put to bed...ugh, lol.

The wife is hanging in there. Went from having one tractor to 4 in a matter of 3 days...lol. I'll get one all fixed up for her to drive around on in the yard and she'll be happy.
  • Bruce Dorsi and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Congrats on the new additions, Good luck with 'the boss' and :welcometogttalk: Lookin forward to the updates!

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Brian:  Do you have any pics of a #18531 blade?  ....I have nothing in my paperwork.  .....What was the difference between the 18531 & 18532?

OK - I answered my own questions. 

I found a parts list for the #18531 Snowplow/grader blade online.  ....Also found a photo of one.  Or, is it? ... I'm not sure now if the blade in the pic below is a re-designed version of the #18531, or if it was an old blade adapted by someone to a tube-frame hitch.

It appears to be similar to the # 21531 Ride-A-Matic blade attachment, except the hitch has been adapted to fit the tube frames.  http://gardentractor...low-attachment/

The #18531 did not have any springs on it.

Nice Finds Bruce!

I have never been able to find an actual picture of the 18531 except only the poor artist sketches of the front view in some of the manuals.

Where did you find that picture of the actual plow itself? That sure looks to be the elusive 18531 we've been looking for years for!

The blade itself looks to be for the ride-a-Matic & walkbeninds like you mentioned. Since these blades were only available for a year or two I'm wondering if they just had a bunch of the blades left over from the ending Walking/Ride-a-Matic era and designed these to use them up then re-designed a better spring plow?

#24 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Bruce, I'll have to get a picture come Friday or Saturday. I unfortunately work out of town all week and it's killing me. No tinkering on the tractors until the weekend, and after the honey-do list is complete, and the kids are all fed, bathed, and put to bed...ugh, lol.

The wife is hanging in there. Went from having one tractor to 4 in a matter of 3 days...lol. I'll get one all fixed up for her to drive around on in the yard and she'll be happy.

Each kid should have a tractor too. The tractor for your wife will give her a little more capability when she needs it. Its very tough being Dad away from home. Good Luck, Rick

#25 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 08:44 PM

I agree whole-heartedly with the idea of a tractor for each child and one for your wife too.  All my kids first learned how to drive on a riding lawn mower.  Yes, I took the mower decks off of them and they were always supervised. 

We use to have tractor races...that was a grin! 

#26 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Where did you find that picture of the actual plow itself?  I had saved it in my pic file, but someone posted it somewhere, so I copied it.

That sure looks to be the elusive 18531 we've been looking for years for! 

The blade itself looks to be for the ride-a-Matic & walkbeninds like you mentioned. Since these blades were only available for a year or two I'm wondering if they just had a bunch of the blades left over from the ending Walking/Ride-a-Matic era and designed these to use them up then re-designed a better spring plow?  That is possible, or, they just decided they needed a better/stronger blade mounting.

IF the pic is of a real #18531, it is certainly different from the drawing in the parts list.  .....I notice the parts list is for an 18531-01.  .....Maybe there was an 18531-02 or -03, and that is what is in the picture ????  .....Or, the drawing in the parts list was just an artist's rendering, and the actual production units looked like the photo.   ....I have no way of knowing.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, March 13, 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#27 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:42 AM

IF the pic is of a real #18531, it is certainly different from the drawing in the parts list.  .....I notice the parts list is for an 18531-01.  .....Maybe there was an 18531-02 or -03, and that is what is in the picture ????  .....Or, the drawing in the parts list was just an artist's rendering, and the actual production units looked like the photo.   ....I have no way of knowing.

I dont know if we'll ever know the answer... I do know Bolens often did alot of artist renditions on the older stuff and less popular. Some of the drawn parts in my Greenbrier partslist look nothing like the actual part.

#28 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 02:06 PM

So I got about 5 minutes to get a battery put in the 1000. At first it didn't even turn when I turned the key. Took a wire brush and cleaned some contacts. It's now turning, but not starting. Pulled the spark plug out and looked for spark....nothing. Cleaned the points, still nothing. What should I check next? New spark plug?

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted March 20, 2013 - 07:15 PM

Does your tractor still have the original Magneto type ignition on it? (You will see the sparkplug wire going behind the flywheel if it does)

Did you set  the points at the right gap ?

#30 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 23, 2013 - 07:13 PM

Back again...I set the points at .020 and spark plug at 0.030 according to the Wisconsin manual. By the way, the motor is out of a 1050, not that there is much difference besides stroke/displacement. I cleaned the carb, and now need to get a rebuild kit to put it back together as it is in bad need of it. I think I will go through all the wiring too and replace what wire and parts I can because everything is pretty rusty due to the climate of Western Oregon. I have acquired another 1050 and a 1455 in the past couple days for a song...pretty excited about that. Would love to actually get one running. The plan is to get them all running and then start the restorations. I don't think they'll be near as nice as many I see on this forum, but at least presentable.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you