• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:46 PM

got to mow with it today and I was doing good until I was going up the hill at the end of the driveway. it started to loose power and smoke a bit. I quickly backed down the hill to flat ground and nursed it to the garage. It was low on oil and almost out of gas so I topped off the gas and oil and went back out to mow. it does smoke a bit now at wot but not terrible. I think an engine rebuild may be in my near future. or it may get a kubota z482 swapped into it too. who knows. I just want to finish out the season with it if possible but will be keeping my eyes peeled for a "backup"

Currently I don't have the muffler cover on it or the sideshields. would that make it run hot? It seems like the motor is really hot when I shut it off. and it is stinking up the garage with a burnt oil smell.

#32 ACecil OFFLINE  

ACecil

• Member No: 412
  • 406 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:47 PM

You should run it with the side panels, they help with cooling the engine.  

#33 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yup, the shields is what forced the air from the flywheel over the heat sinks instead of just out into the engine bay. I would say the exhaust shield just helps keep the exhaust heat moving out the front of the mower instead of hanging around in engine bay as well.

Is the smoking from oil or fuel? Not sure if my KT17's carb needs rebuilt or what but I have to adjust the main jet needle back in after every couple of mowings... like it is backing itself from the vibration maybe? when this happens it runs rich and smokes.

#34 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 10:49 AM

It isnt burning a whole lot of oil. I think it is more or less burning the oil off the outside of the motor that was lost during the last adventure where i left the 2 screws out from the points cover. It spewed out all over and thats the main reason the muffler cover was off. I was cleaning it and didnt put it back on before mowing.
I will have to clean everything up and see what happens next mowing.
Thanks guys!

#35 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:13 PM

I hope you guys aren't getting mad at me for dragging this thread out with my ongoing troubles. but...

Update on my progress.

I took all of the side shields off of my motor and found a very nice mouse nest packing the whole left side of the motor up and blocking all air from getting thru the cooling fins. It was packed so tight from the starter to the fuel pump I am surprised it wasnt overheating worse than it was.

I also used up 2 cans of engine degreaser then pressure washed the whole thing down before reassembling everything. I went out and mowed and there was absolutely no smoke at all and it runs like a new machine now. It must have just been overheating before and burning all of the built up oil all over the engine making it smoke.

Then the next problem came up AGAIN.. I blew out the belt for the deck drive. It was a brand new belt 3 mows ago but I have been having problems with one of the idler pulleys on the mule drive. The stock one locked up earlier this year (like 2 mows ago) so since I wanted to finish mowing I just stole the one off of the 129 mule drive I have sitting in the shed. I knew it was smaller both in diameter and width so it kept throwing the belt off if I even bumped a tree or dirt bump. it has been very annoying over the last 2 mows having to reinstall the belt a couple of times each time I mowed. well when I was reassembling everything after the cleaning I noticed that the belt had been twisted and was actually backwards on the pto pulley. I have no idea how it wasnt twisted to either side but it was actually riding on the flat back of the belt and a few strands of the belt were already flaking off when I rolled it over to the way it should be and figured well when I get done tonight I will have to order another belt and replace both pulleys while im at it. and since i am ordering parts I might as well order a new spindle belt too.

well about 1/2 way thru my mowing the belt gave up.

so I parked it and came in to order all the parts I needed to do it all. The belts I will be picking up tomorrow and the pulleys will be here later in the week. so I will be installing the new belts after work tomorrow and finishing mowing then and will install the new pulleys before the next mow probably next weekend.

sorry for the long rant but figured I would keep ya'll up to speed on my sorrows.

• olcowhand said thank you

#36 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:57 AM

As for the pointsaver, I have found Kirk to be very responsive to emails. Find out what he thinks.

#37 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Well a new low today. Started it after changing out the belts tonight and it backfired hard then fired up.
Now it hammers hard from one cyl at anything over idle speed.
Going to pick up a 682 tomorrow night with a kohler series 2 in it.