• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I hear ya. I started this collection only last summer and i now have 2 red ones and a yellow one and ditched the green one after 10 yrs of service. <br />So now my garage looks like this 782 mower, 682 puller, 129 ??<br /><br />Here's some pics from when we got home tonight. I did find out that it has a series 1 in it. <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044743.673642.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044758.999919.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044776.245873.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044791.211370.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044804.889348.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044820.798186.jpg <br />ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363044837.332867.jpg
  • twostep said thank you

#17 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:41 PM

And with a serial number of 685935 it seems to be a very early build 782. Shows it was built jan 1981

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I sure would like to have another set of those wheel weights! Looks like you've got a good one to work with. If/when you pull the driveshaft cover off I would love to see picture of how the deck lift is mounted.

#19 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 11:14 PM

Great looking tractor!  Glad ya got it home and posted some pics.  It looks like it was taken care of pretty well.  Cool you got 2 sets of wheel weights for it.

I had a series 1 in a JD317.  It ran good and strong, had no problems with it.  Just remember to keep it a little over full of oil, and check the oil every time you use it.

#20 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 05:09 AM

I can get some pics for you no problem. I wanted to see how it is done also because i would like to take the 3pt off of the 129 and make it work on here.

#21 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:17 PM

ok so after tinkering on it for a while I have put a new deck drive belt on it that is actually a little short and the next size up is too big so I may end up having to look harder eventually or just get on from cub. I picked up a set of gator blades for it and they work wonders on mowing the lawn for the most part. It mows nice and flat but I can't go very fast before it starts to bunch up under the deck and the blades start slowing down. I will need to put a new belt on the deck itself before long and it should cure some of that. I am also looking to put a speed up pulley on the deck for a little more speed and like I did on my last one add a second set of blades to the gators so that I have 2 sets on it at the same time in an x pattern. I just need to find a set of blades that are flat instead of having the drop in them. even if they arent gators or exactly 17.2 inches They should help out greatly. One problem I did run into with the gators are they are about 1/64" too long. They dont seem to hit if you turn them by hand while under the deck but when they are spinning while mowing I notice a very slight tick tick as they are just barely bumping each other as they pass. It is just enough to wear the paint off of the tips of the blades. I crawled back under it today to check it out and I don't think it is enough to even mess with trying to bump with the grinder as it seems they are "wearing in" on their own. 

Today when I got done mowing I decided to clean the clippings off of the deck with the hose then I got a lightbright idea of hosing off the motor because it is pretty oily and collects alot of dust. Bad Idea! the tractor wouldnt start up afterwards so I figured I got something wet that shouldnt have so I investigated and found that the seal on the points cover must be bad and allowed just enough moisture in to make it angry. A little shot with some carb cleaner and the air hose and we were back in business. From the looks of it the po had the condensor, and points replaced recently as they look brand new. The coil however doesn't look very new and I will probably pick up a harley one to have on hand as the kohler replacements are ridiculous and the harley ones are $5-20.

I haven't forgotten about the pics of the hydro lift, I just havent had time. I have been thrashing on the puller to get it ready for next weekend. I plan on tearing into the mower soon to degrease the frame from the motor back and replace the steering column with a 3:1 ratio for easier steering as this one steers like an old f 200 my grandpa used to have with no power steering. and change the filter on the hydro and the fluid. I would say 2 weeks and I should be able to tinker with this one once the bugs are worked out with the puller.

whew sorry for my long wind but its been a while.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:36 AM

... the harley ones are $5-20.

I haven't forgotten about the pics of the hydro lift, I just havent had time. I have been thrashing on the puller to get it ready for next weekend. I plan on tearing into the mower soon to degrease the frame from the motor back and replace the steering column with a 3:1 ratio for easier steering

Got a part number or year/model for the harley coil? I wouldn't mind having one on hand as well.

No problem on the pic's... I'm in no hurry.

What 3:1 steering column are you talking about? So it steers hard or just slow? I wouldn't mind having a steering box that would steer faster my self... Of course that would also make it steer a little harder but that shouldn't be an issue really. 

#23 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 12:03 PM

No part number for the coil but it was for an older shovelhead motor that they were using.

#24 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 12:05 PM

And the steering im putting in would be slower so less power required to turn the wheel. It is still a ross gear box but has different casting "lines" in it. I can take a pic of the one i have at home tonight.

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Maybe the PO "ajdusted" the current steering box and just has it two night. I know during my referb I ajusted mine and was able to get almost all of the play out but if I went two far it made the steering very stiff. I need to find either a faster steering box or just go the easy way and get a spinner knob for the steering wheel.

#26 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:03 AM

Here is a pic of the 3:1 on the left with the ribs cast into it. And an old school one on the right.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371301374.914126.jpg
  • KennyP said thank you

#27 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 08:54 AM

I put 3 turn boxes in mine and it sure helps, it's almost like power steering.

#28 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 11:40 AM

I put 3 turn boxes in mine and it sure helps, it's almost like power steering.

Thats what i was told so we shall see once i get time to install it and the pointsaver kit i got from kirkengines.

#29 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 06:56 AM

So yesterday i spent a little time on the 782 since i have been having a hard time with the points ign setup i picked up a points saver and coil package from kirk engines and installed that.
Now it will barely fire once in a while and when it does it backfires terribly.
I adjusted the point gap to the recommended .020 but it wont run.
Now i dont know what to do. If you watch the red light on the point saver it doesnt flash at a steady pace. It stays lit for a few seconds then flashes a couple times then stays lit again for a few seconds then flashes a couple times.
This is all i can get out of it.
What do you guys think? I have the points too far open or too far closed?
I am really getting sick of dealing with this thing and keep eyeballing the z482 i have sitting on the bench more and more.

#30 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:04 AM

I picked up a new set of points yesterday and installed them and when i went to bump over the motor to set the gap it fired right up. I was blown away at how fast it just fired up when all i was trying to do was bump it over a little bit.
I guess i have to disconnect the coil wires to set it tonight when i get home.
  • twostep said thank you