15 replies to this topic

#1 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 12:30 PM

It finalley started to really snow up here, and with such timing. Both of my tractors that can plow are down. The hydro blew its head gasket this morning when i went to plow the 2 inches thatwere there thinking that it was all there was going to be.:mad2: Then, half way though it blew the gasket so i switched the plow to the gear tractor (which has no chains), which could not get any tractor with the ice under the snow from the last snow fall.:wallbanging: Once the snow was clear of the drive with the shovel, I had to get the hydro up the hill to the garage across the ice covered driveway.:wallbanging: Now, i have nothing to plow with, and its snowing harder. It seems whenever I am ready for the snow, it never comes, but when i'm not we get 2 feet of it. :wtf:
Is there any connection to the carburator no being set right amd thye head gasket blowing?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 12:37 PM

Well for the timing I think it is one of the laws of physics or Murphy's Law.

I hope this didn't count as the bet?

Yes bad carb settings could cause problems with the head / gasket. Mainly if it was running too lean it would make it run to hot and overheat.

I had posted about running too rich but I was wrong what I had typed. If the timing is retarded that can cause overheating issues and possibly burn a valve, if the timing is too far advanced the motor may run cooler but you run the chance of detonating. I don't think timing is your problem. Just wanted to fix my post.

#3 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 05:02 PM

No, it did not count as the bet, and i have a spare motor to put on for now. I think it is running lean because the throttle shaft hole in the carb body is worn way bigger than the shaft. I guess its time to get it drilled out and find a bushing or have one made. Maybe in the spring, or whenthe need for a spare arises. I do not know how to adjust the timing on this motor. Does it have to do with the air gap on the trigger coil?

#4 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 05:10 PM

Would old trigger pins throw off the timing?

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 16, 2010 - 05:43 PM

If it is a points ignition it will mess with the timing. Whether they are old or new you need to have them adjusted right. I think we have a hh100 - 120 manual on the site that should have the points settings.

You can probably get away with running it with the worn shaft on the the carb but you need to get the mixture right. If it is too rich it will be sluggish and if it is too lean it won't have any power. You need to adjust it to where it is responsive and doesn't hang at a high speed when brought to an idle. The other way to adjust the high speed to to achieve the highest rpm and then richen the mixture a 1/16 to an 1/8 of a turn.

With it being winter and cold outside it will lean the mixture also, cold air is denser the warm air.

#6 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 17, 2010 - 10:33 PM

The ignition is the electronic automotive conversion. It bogs down when the plow goes into a snow bank that it pushed just fine 2 minutes before. Its like it comes and goes. I put my spare carb on with another headgasket, so I will try and get it adjusted right. You said I should pin open the throttle, and then when it runs even at that speed open the needle 1/16-1/8 of a turn?

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:31 AM

Going by the description of bogging down when it had done fine a couple minutes before makes me believe it is running lean. You are better to run rich then to run lean, running rich will just carbon stuff up and waste gas but running lean will burn em up.

I forget what the factory needle settings are right now but if you turn the high speed needle all the way in, don't force it and then back it out 2 turns it should be on the rich side or just about right. Once it is up to operating temp you can start working on getting the highest speed by turning the mixture screw in a hair of a turn, try it out and just slowly work at it till it runs great and doesn't bog. It is going to take some time and you need to note how each little adjustment makes it run. You don't want to adjust it and then adjust it again right away without seeing how the first adjustment affected the performance.

If you start at 2 turns out on the high speed you shouldn't end up being less then a turn and a half out. I will see if I can find the factory settings to start from as they are usually pretty close and then it is just a matter of fine tuning.

#8 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:36 AM

Thanks, i'll try that once I get some more gas.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:50 AM

Thanks, i'll try that once I get some more gas.

Let us know how ya make out and make sure you have this manual: http://www.gttalk.co...p?do=file&id=89

If I am not mistaken it should have the default mixture settings to start out with. I am at work right now and can't download it to check.

#10 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:07 PM

Yes, it should start with the default settings, and be adjusted from there.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:08 PM

How did ya make out?

#12 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Dont know yet its out of gas.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 08:51 PM

I thought ya went to get gas?

#14 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:18 PM

Not yet, need money first, and that comes in slow until I can start mowing lawns.

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:21 PM

Gotcha. All forms of green stuff is hard to come by this time of year.