• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• Member No: 4764
  • 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm looking for some pictures of how a tiller mounts onto a geardrive frame, I have seen the manual, and the pictures in there are too dark.

I do know that there is a link to tie the tiller to the frame bolts, but am also looking for measurements,.

My up and coming project is taking a couple parts tractor and making one more usable tractor strictly for tilling, I have 2 72-3 LGT's, one is a gear drive with no motor and the other is a 14 hp hydro w/ rear PTO. being that I already have 2 hydros, I wanted the geardrive to keep a constant ground speed while tilling my tree rows.

Will the rear PTO off of a Hydro bolt to the Geardrive frame?

What I'm looking for for pics and measurements is:

a pic of the tiller mounted to the geardrive frame.
a pic of the links that mount the tiller to the frame
measurements and pictures of both side bolts, how far they stick out the frame

The parts tractors are still under 3 feet of snow at the moment, so I can't go out and start working on them for a bit still.

Thanks

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:17 PM

Here are some pictures that I just took of the project tractors, as you
see they are still burried, and also they are on the neighbours property
which I won't be able to get them out from where they are till the snow
melts

ford70.jpg

ford71.jpg

ford72.jpg

ford73.jpg

ford74.jpg

ford75.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Are sure you're not trying to mount a snowblower to the front ?

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would go with the hydro for using the tiller for two reasons. 1. The hydro allows you to vary the speed to match the soil conditions. 2. The hydraulic lift is very nice with the heavy attachments. Your fender pan is better than mine. Good Luck, Rick

• firstgen89sho said thank you

#5 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:59 PM

LOL, I have a 165 for the snowblower.

The tree rows are already tilled down to fine soil, it's just to keep the weeds at bay.

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 04:39 PM

I have my LGT100 (gear drive) dedicated just to my tiller....I think I would prefer it that way as 1st gear seems about the right speed and it would be consistant when tilling. Heres a few pics I have

sarah007Medium-1.jpg

sarah005Medium.jpg

Mystuff009Medium.jpg

Mystuff010Medium.jpg

• KennyP, firstgen89sho and Rock farmer have said thanks

#7 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Poncho, I'm guessing that your equipment is under some snow right now?

How does your tiller mount to the tractor? I cannot see exactly how from the pictures at the moment.

#8 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Another thing, is where or how to procure another driveshaft for the tiller, the u-joints are starting to wear out in mine and not sure how to go about making another shaft up. I know that back many years ago, Princess Auto (A canadian company) use to sell the components needed to make up the shaft, but not any more.

#9 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 12, 2013 - 06:22 AM

The tiller mounts over 2 pins that stick out the sides of that flat piece on each side of the frame. Then those 2 tab (link) pieces you mentioned earlier hold it in place with a pin. Seems kind og hokey, but thats the way it is. It is in the shed, not sure if I can get a good pic but will have a look after work today.

I thought I saw "U" joint parts of that size in Princess Auto here in Ont a while back.....You can also look at TSC

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 04:09 AM

Poncho's pics show the drive shaft, well that is of one that haas been upgraded to the larger u-joints, those are replaceable. The factory originals are these tiny things that are almost impossible to find parts for .

A real good tractor dealer that sells Tisco and other brands of aftermarket tractor parts should be able to exactly match up the joint yokes and crosses needed to make this shaft up. Especialy a good MF/Agco dealer. :thumbs:

• poncho62 and firstgen89sho have said thanks

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:41 AM

PA still sells u-joints and keyed shafting that should serve to build a new pto shaft.

Another thing, is where or how to procure another driveshaft for the tiller, the u-joints are starting to wear out in mine and not sure how to go about making another shaft up. I know that back many years ago, Princess Auto (A canadian company) use to sell the components needed to make up the shaft, but not any more.

#12 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Poncho's pics show the drive shaft, well that is of one that haas been upgraded to the larger u-joints, those are replaceable. The factory originals are these tiny things that are almost impossible to find parts for .

A real good tractor dealer that sells Tisco and other brands of aftermarket tractor parts should be able to exactly match up the joint yokes and crosses needed to make this shaft up. Especialy a good MF/Agco dealer. :thumbs:

I didnt know my joints had been upgraded....anyone got pics of those tiny originals?

Firstgen.....I will go out and try and get a couple of pics of how the tiller mounts....have to set up a light in the shed....lol

#13 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:45 PM

Got a few pics...sorry they are a bit dark

005-1_zpsb6604ad5.jpg

003_zpsb92b0e53.jpg

001_zpsa973ee47.jpg

#14 firstgen89sho OFFLINE  

firstgen89sho

• 82 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:23 PM

PA still sells u-joints and keyed shafting that should serve to build a new pto shaft.

Thanks Chopperhead, I was just in PA today and all they had was a 3/4" round to 3/4" round universal in there. Maybe one of the bigger stores in Edmonton might have some more selection.

I didnt know my joints had been upgraded....anyone got pics of those tiny originals?

Firstgen.....I will go out and try and get a couple of pics of how the tiller mounts....have to set up a light in the shed....lol

Here is what my PTO shaft looks like

ford76.jpg

#15 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 09:20 PM

If you can wait for a bit of a melt, I have a 77 with a tiller, I can send you any dimension you need.

Also PA n edmonton has the 7/8" x 3/4" units as well as the splined ones. It wouldn't be stock/original, but it would do the job.

Thanks Chopperhead, I was just in PA today and all they had was a 3/4" round to 3/4" round universal in there. Maybe one of the bigger stores in Edmonton might have some more selection.

Here is what my PTO shaft looks like

ford76.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: geardrive tiller, hydrostatic tiller, project tractor