• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 travisphanson OFFLINE  

travisphanson
  • Member No: 11055
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:39 PM

1947 Standard Twin engine problems I got my 47 Standard Twin last fall. I have been working on it off and on till now. I had the valves reseated, new rings. I Also had the magneto rebuilt. Now I am at the point that I am trying to fire it up and I don't get anything?? I believe that the timing is on  (the magneto fires when the piston closest to the clutch is at top dead center). I have decent compression, I don't have a pressure gauge but it will blow my finger off the spark plug hole. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help that I could get would be great, Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• 181025_599988240029205_450066238_n.jpg

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:46 AM

You didn't mention fuel.

• michael.kitko said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:49 AM

As said, make sure you have the essentials. Fuel, air, compression, spark and timing. One of those must be off. The piston is at tdc but is it on the compression stroke or exhaust? 

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:16 AM

Travis, just because you had the magneto rebuilt doesn't mean that you still have spark.  Pull a spark plug wire, drop in a spark plug, and see if you are at least getting something.  Does this magneto have an impulse which works?

Brian is right: make sure you are timed at the right stroke.  Been there, done that!

Otherwise, go into fuel.  You can always try my trick of a dribble of gas in a cylinder, just to see if you can get a bang out of it.  That will rule out spark and timing, and point you towards a carburetor/air leak.

Ben W.

#5 travisphanson OFFLINE  

travisphanson
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Well here is what is happening this morning. 1 made sure I had fuel. 2 have nice blue spark on the plugs. 3 found a compression gauge and I have 43 to 48 psi. (i think I was told 50 was great psi please let me know if I'm wrong)In each cylinder. Checked the timing it was off just alittle so I adjusted it. And still don't get any bang. I tryed the fuel down the cylinder trick Ben, even tryed alittle eather to (in frustration) and still nothing.let me know if you see any thing I should do different. And thank you for all the help so far.

#6 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 11:19 AM

It's not doing anything? Should at least "pop" or something.

#7 travisphanson OFFLINE  

travisphanson
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:02 PM

That was my thoughts. I am going to try getting new spark plug wires, and new plugs. With it acting the way it is, its the only thing that would make any sence. Maybe the spark is just not hot enough??

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 01:49 PM

I know the race engines I build usually require lots and lots and lots of fuel for the initial start up.

#9 travisphanson OFFLINE  

travisphanson
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Got my twin up and running to day. Still has some kinks to work out but it now fires up and with a little help from a squirt bottle with gas, I can keep it running. Just made a new crank to fit in a 1/2 inch drill, and that's all it took.
  • Alc and DB1 have said thanks