• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:37 PM

Windows 8 is here, I could predict the call I was going to get from my Sister. She's about 10 years older than me, Believe it or not, she’s a Windows power user !?

But before Windows XP, she thought a “cursor” is someone with a foul mouth, a “click” is simply a sound, and a “mouse” is a rodent that spreads disease.

But now she’s pretty good with her computer. She uses it to search for news and information. She even figured out how to print letters out to mail to friends -- putting a somewhat high-tech spin on low-tech snail mail.

Here’s a loose transcript of my call from my Sister, describing the new features of Windows 8.

*RING!*

Me: “Hi Sis. How’s it going?

Sis: I got a new computer with a touchscreen with Windows 8.

Me:  That’s cool!

Sis: I got a special price on a case of 2,000 sanitizer wipes too. Because, you know, I don’t want all those germs on my computer’s screen.

Me: Well, I don’t think you need to worry too much about that Sis.

Sis: The Metro screen looks very different but I wish the icons were still there.

Me: Well, the icons are kind of gone, but there are icons in the tiles, which you can just click and open.

Sis: Why are the tiles changing all the time?

Me: It’s a live feed—it’s constantly giving you the latest news—e-mail previews too.

Sis: Is that a weather tile, the one with the cloud on it?

Me: The weather tile? The big tile with the cloud on it? Oh, that’s not for the weather. That’s Skydrive. It lets you to store files in the cloud. Not actually in the sky—in a server farm.

Sis: You know, your Dad grew up on a farm.

Me: Uh, okay, it’s not really a farm like that. It’s really a huge room where a bunch of other computers store your data so it doesn’t take up too much space in your computer. You probably don’t need it. You don’t create a lot of big files on your computer.

Sis: I download an article from Dr. Doc online and pictures of my favorite grandson.

Me: Yea, you probably don’t need Skydrive yet. Maybe when I send you more pictures.

Sis: Can I open two Internet windows?

Me: Yes. Just put your finger on the top edge of the screen and slide it down. Tap the plus sign. If you want to go back to the main screen, put your finger on the right edge of the screen and slide it to the left. See the “Start” icon with four squares? Tap it.

Sis: I wish there were still icons on the main screen too.

Me: Don’t worry Sis, you’ll get used to it . Also if you’re in an app and place your finger on the top edge of the screen and swipe all the way down, you can close the app.

And if you swipe from the left edge to the right, it loads the previous app. If you swipe about a third of the way, you can run the previous app alongside the app you’re currently running. Slide it back to the left and you can choose from all your open apps.

To see all the apps you have installed, put your finger at the bottom of the screen and slide it up. See the icon at the right? Tap it and you’ll see all your apps. Whew !

Oh, you know what, if you really want, you can go back to the traditional desktop through the “desktop app.”

*Silence*

Well, I need to go Sis. It was nice talking to you. If you have any more questions about your new computer, give me a call.

*Sigh*

• HDWildBill, bgkid2966 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Was she mean like that to you when you were younger?? :poke:​   I think you have her more confused now.

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Friends don't let friends use Windows. :thumbs:  :D

#4 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:25 PM

Isn't it hell having a sister that is older than you. Ha give her credit, at least she is trying to learn something new, and sounds like she thinks a lot of you for her calling asking you questions that she didn't have the answers to.

Dick

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:27 PM

But Amig--- she is his sister.

Dick

#6 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Friends don't let friends use Windows. :thumbs:  :D

I do not understand. PLEASE EXPLAIN

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm not totally happy with this Windows 8 either. Down loaded Google chrome as that was what I was using before and presto everything looks the same again and all of my favorites were right back where they belong  from the old computer to the new one. Thank heavens for Google.  :thumbs:

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm not totally happy with this Windows 8 either. Down loaded Google chrome as that was what I was using before and presto everything looks the same again and all of my favorites were right back where they belong  from the old computer to the new one. Thank heavens for Google.  :thumbs:

That is one of the thing I really like about Chrome,  I can sync it to any computer I want to.  So it makes swapping OS's a  lot easier.

• Cvans said thank you

#9 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 05:46 AM

After running other OS's, you begin to understand that are better alternatives to Windows. When I was still running my Linux firewall, it went for 9 months without being touched, it only rebooted after the power went out.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:09 AM

99% of all spyware, Malware, and viruses are targeted to the Windows platform.  Mainly because Windows had 90+% market share but also because it is very easy to hack a windows system because most people run windows in the administrative mode.  Window also lays the majority of the responsibility for keeping hackers and above mentioned software out on the user.  The user is required to provide protection software and then you have to deal with all those pop ups every time you install a program or do anything administratively.  You also do not have to reboot every time you get updates.  I can install a complete Linux system and do 1 reboot where as when I do a Windows install it reboots anywhere from 4 to 10 times depending on the updates.

Last but not least M$ has also been found guilty of Anti-trust and I believe they continue to carry on that practice today with this secure boot they have pushed for in the name of security.

• Amigatec said thank you

#11 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:33 AM

One thing people sometimes don't understand is Windows was never built with Security in mind, it was built for easy of use. Windows was not designed for Networking and multiple users, this was added later.

Linux, OSX Apple/Mac, and UNIX, (they are all UNIX based) are built for Security first, and were designed to be networked and have multiple users.

Windows is a patchwork of programs added over the years, kind of like Beef Stew, once you add the tomatoes, it's almost impossible to remove them. UNIX is like a Hambuger, if you don't want pickles, or onions you can leave them off.

One of the real problems is Windows expects you to run in Administrator Mode, whereas UNIX expects you to create User accounts. If you run your computer in Admin mode, then if you get hacked the hacker has Admin rights to your PC, but if you run in User mode, the hacker only has access to your user account.

Some Windows program will run not unless they have Admin access. Also in your computer there are 2 areas of use, the is System space, and User space. Kind of like your car, their is an Engine compartment and a passenger compartment, and these are separated by the firewall and dash board. With Windows it removes the separation and mixes the two together. It would be like having your motor in the front seat where you can access it from the drivers seat, and then letting a hacker in the car where he can pull wires and readjust stuff going down the road. Most people have no business under the hood of there car, just like most people have no need to access the system space inside their computer. I can list other examples of where MS has mixed things up and caused problems with Windows.

If you really study the differences between Windows and UNIX, you will see what I mean.

Edited by Amigatec, March 10, 2013 - 10:38 AM.

• HowardsMF155, HDWildBill and Arti have said thanks

#12 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Amigatac,  that was a good explanation and good examples!  :thumbs:

#13 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 12:29 AM

And as a non-computer understander if I might observe, the entire internet doesn't seem to have been designed for any sort of security either.  Otherwise, like bank robbers and exploding dye money packs, they could be tracked and dealt with more easily.  Once the first couple of hacks occured the "internet developers" should have been doing their due diligence for massive protections for users.  I guess the hackers back then were smarter than the developers, just like today. 

Friday I got a free year's subscription to a credit checking thing because my electric supplier was hacked.  Not the online info, but anyone who paid by check is in jeopardy... And here I thought paying online was more dangerous.  I guess if it's computerized, then it's automatically dangerous. :D

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 02:35 AM

At first there were just 4 sites on the Internet (called DARPANET back then) and it was on the honor system, but as time progressed it became necessary to add more sercurity, and lock it down more and more. One of the worse worms to ever hit the Internet was on UNIX, it was called the Morris Worm. It shut down the whole system back in 1984. The admins learned from that and tightened it down. Not here is a good example of a worm causing major problems, was the power outage in the NE a few years ago. A tree fell across a power line and blew a fuse, but because the system was being monitored by PCs running windows that been infected with Code Red, the problem wasn't found. Now to be fair Windows didn't cause the problem, but it was because of a worm that the problem got worse.

There are really only 2 ways to hack a system, either somebody writes bad software, or somebody has been given to much access to a system. When both are true it gets really bad.

I used to write addon packages for a Linux firewall project, where security always came first. So I had a good look under the hood of how Windows works and how Linux works.

For each file in Linux you can set upto 12 different permissions, to determine who can do read/write/execute a program. At the same time, Windows determined if a program was executeable just by file extension, i.e. exe, bat, and com. Very poor way of doing it.

A good portion of the software packages in Windows and Linux are written by outside developers, and installed with the OS. Things like SSL, SSH, FTP packages, etc. With Linux, when you install a package you install the complete package together, in Windows a lot of the time the package is broken up and parts of it are added to other programs within Windows, remember the beef stew example I gave. So when an updated version of the package is available, it takes Windows much longer to add it, because it can affect something else.

A good example of something being installed that can never be uninstalled are Active X controls. There is no way to tell what Active X controls are installed and what they do. Once installed the only way to uninstall them is to reinstall Windows. As a developer I was concerned about leaveing trash behind on someone's firewall. Windows programs leave trash behind all the time because of the way they are written.

Most of the Spam mail being sent out is from common users that have hacked and don't know it. While your in bed your PC is spamming somebody else. Anti-Virus programs don't stop a lot of this, because the user has installed something they didn't know what it was. Or they have visited a site with malware on it.

I could go on, but I'll stop here for a while.
  • HowardsMF155, HDWildBill and HydroHarold have said thanks

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Excellent explanations Amigatec!  I've known for some time that Windows installs "wide open" and that it is up to the installer to know how to close the doors.  I'm now learning about Linux. Might even take the leap one day to install it on my computer.