• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:42 PM

A neighbor came up to me and asked if I would like to do some work for them. It'll be cleaning the yard up mostly. Sticks, leaves and some trimming. I'll probably take the mower and the cart with some tools along. So what would I charge them for the work? Any ideas would be appreciated.

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 01:04 PM

It would help if you could giive the approx. size of the property.

Dick

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:12 PM

AND just how much needs to be done?

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,607 Thanks
  • 3,909 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:14 PM

In an urban setting I doubt you could find a landscape company that works for less than $50/hr.  Out here in the sticks there might still be some that charge as low as $35/hr.  If they are good neighbors and friends tell them to cook an extra steak next time they have the grille fired up and call you over. 

I used to do a lot of work for the couple across the road from me.   They were old and occasionally needed some assistance - at the time I was young and healthy.  They always fed me so that was good enough for me.  They are long gone now and I miss them both and especially her cookin!

• sacsr, Toolpartzman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:56 PM

I would say a little less than a quarter of an acre. Give or take. The yard is not terrrible, but there are leaves and sticks covering a majority of the place. 

#6 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 03:20 PM

I was doing this when I was semi retired.....3 years ago.....Charged $25/hr using my equipent. Mowing, raking etc.....For rototilling, it was $60/hr with my 36" tiller on my tractor. I would probably bump it up a few bucks now with the price of gas and all

• sacsr and JDGuy445 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,533 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 03:23 PM

I agree with Gtractor. I never charge good neighbors. I used to plow the driveway for my 95 year old neighbor and never charged her. She used to send over a loaf of homemade bread when she could. You have to decide what you want and discuss it with them before you start. Good Luck, Rick

• JDGuy445 said thank you

#8 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 03:48 PM

It's only a drive down the road, so gas isn't really a worry. I think I'll just ask what I charge for the produce which is about $5-10. I couldn't imagine it taking too long at all.

• Moosetales said thank you

#9 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:54 PM

My thought is this......if my neighbor CAN help himself but is too lazy or wants something for nothing I'm going to charge them a premium rate but if they NEED the help or could USE the help and they'll be out helping (if they are able to) then I'm good with a jar of jelly, loaf of bread, swap or trade. Glad to here you are thinking along these lines. I say if you get some seat time out of it that's worth something too. Even though it's not a tractor....send us a pic of the Before and After.

Edited by Moosetales, March 10, 2013 - 08:13 PM.

• sacsr, CRFarnsworth, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#10 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:37 PM

I would make sure the blade is shape and shred the leaves which is good fertilizer for the yard so that take care of one problem. If the branches are small and kind of limp the blade will also take care of them.

Dick

• JDGuy445 said thank you

#11 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,638 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:04 PM

My thought is this......if my neighbor CAN help themselves but is too lazy or want something for nothing I'm going to charge them a premium rate but if they NEED the help or could USE the help and they'll be out helping (if they are able to) then I'm good with a jar of jelly, loaf of bread, swap or trade. Glad to here you are thinking along these lines. I say if you get some seat time out of it that's worth something too. Even though it's not a tractor....send us a pic of the Before and After.

AMEN!

• Moosetales and backwoods have said thanks