tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:38 PM

the pin coming out of the drive looks like it would be awful weak

That is what I thought, The finish is actually better on the China one.......well for now.
  • tractorgarden'sbabe said thank you

#17 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:11 PM

That is what I thought, The finish is actually better on the China one.......well for now.

all that glitters is not gold.

my go to 3/8 ratchet is a sears brand not craftsman my dad said he can remember when my grandpa bought the set it was the first new tool he ever bought dad said that he bought it before they moved to town in 1965. its still going strong ive broke several craftsman and even an armstrong but i aint hurt this one.

• tractorgarden and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Heres a 1970's (probably about 1976) vintage 1/2" Craftsman ratchet handle. There's no doubt about where it was made. I was still in school when I got these tools. My mother worked part time at the Sears order office in town and got an employee discount. Money well spent. 

DSCF8473.jpg

#19 Bob 537 OFFLINE  

Bob 537
  • Member No: 10133
  • 68 Thanks
  • 127 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:08 AM

you know what makes me mad!   i went to sears to exchange my 3/8 ratchet because the gears sliped not because i leave them outside i have had it for 10 years and looked brand new  like i never used it then when they guy pulls one out from under the counter he said your lucky this is my last one and so i looked at it and it looked like it was droped in a bucket of green paint. I told him no thanks ill just take a new one off the shelf and he stops me and says i cant do that. so i took the green tool home and tried taking paint thinner to it and it didnt work so i tried goof off and nothing  needless to say i still have a green tool :mad2:  :shoot2:

• tractorgarden said thank you

#20 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:01 AM

you know what makes me mad!   i went to sears to exchange my 3/8 ratchet because the gears sliped not because i leave them outside i have had it for 10 years and looked brand new  like i never used it then when they guy pulls one out from under the counter he said your lucky this is my last one and so i looked at it and it looked like it was droped in a bucket of green paint. I told him no thanks ill just take a new one off the shelf and he stops me and says i cant do that. so i took the green tool home and tried taking paint thinner to it and it didnt work so i tried goof off and nothing  needless to say i still have a green tool :mad2:  :shoot2:

You should have insisted.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#21 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'd be happy if sears would go back to selling the ratchet repair kits,I have several ratchets that I've inherited from my dad that are no longer working properly and being as they have sentimental value to me I won't take them in for exchange. I would gladly buy the kit just to be able to keep the ratchets.

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'd be happy if sears would go back to selling the ratchet repair kits,I have several ratchets that I've inherited from my dad that are no longer working properly and being as they have sentimental value to me I won't take them in for exchange. I would gladly buy the kit just to be able to keep the ratchets.

Lots of the NOS repair kits on ebay.   http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

• tractorgarden and pigsitter have said thanks

#23 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Lots of the NOS repair kits on ebay.   http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

Thanks a big bunch olcowhand!! Don't know why I didn't think of ebay before,you just made my day! :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, lost, china