#1 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Well, I have had a bad week for my tools, Early in the week,I had Bethany,(tractorgardensbabe) 

return a bunch of tools to Sears...... New screwdrivers,for my junk ones. replaced three ratchets

(USA) then noticed the new ones China.Now I am not knocking China on tools that bad,I buy gearwrench,and gearratchet products(CHINA).... Well we all want free lifetime warranty,but

in order to continue free replacement they have to lower there costs. (you know screw drivers,worn not broken that get replaced buy the bucket loads) THAT COSTS BIG MONEY! Wrenches replaced because I left them outside to rust. Well whos fault is it,that they are now in China! I would say MY greed has something to do with it. Seems we play the game of blame and complain! (It is not all corporate big greed, money grubbers)

Then yesterday I lost a complete socket set  out of my van,(Did not shut rear doors) :wallbanging:  Oh well,

It is only money! .............. Wait I do not have any of that ! Shawn

P.S. all the above should be blamed upon me.

Edited by tractorgarden, March 09, 2013 - 09:50 AM.

• wawcub47, Alc, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I have quite a few Craftsman hand tools Shawn.  I haven't had to return one for replacement lately.  Thanks for the information about the replacements.  It is too bad that you lost a whole set out the back of the van.  Hopefully they find a good home.

You are right, it's only money.  Not much of it to go around though here either.

• tractorgarden and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:32 AM

I really don't know how Sears has stayed in business as long as they have. They offered customer service that was far superior to what you got in the big box store. That's changing and who knows if they will even survive. I've got craftsman sockets and ratchets that were bought in the mid 70's and they are still nearly perfect. I'm sure they will outlive me. Those tools were worthy of the lifetime warranty. If you can find some of these older craftsman tools used they are a good choice. The newer stuff is not as well made from what I've seen. 

• Alc, tractorgarden, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I agree with you guys. Another problem I see is at Flea Markets...You can buy a Craftsman screw driver or wrench for $2-$3 and take it back to SEARS for a brand new one...No wonder the replacements are cheap!

• Alc, tractorgarden and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:51 AM

My garage is 95% craftsman, some Pittsburgh and then some no name. The service truck my dad had for his tire business (basically a shop on wheels) has 95% snap on and the rest is Pittsburgh. Every now and then something breaks and I am always disappointed when I get a china tool for my USA made tool! But remember, a china made tool is better then the broken one you can't use at all.

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:49 AM

I've been using Master Mechanic tools, which also have a lifetime replacement warranty. So far I haven't had to replace anything, and I've been using them for about eight years now. I can't afford the bigger name brands. I'd rather put that extra money into the tractor collection. :D

#7 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:32 PM

When i was working in the gm dealership in the ql dept everybody made fun of my snap-on box filled with mainly craftsman tools. But for the money and what you get i could not justify a snap-on set of wrenches for $500 when i bought a set of craftsman set just like it for $150. Same warranty, same quality 1/3 the price. <br />Only downfall is craftsman doesnt come to my work and offer me a truck acct interest free.

Edited by cumminsmannow, March 09, 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:32 PM

I wonder what's going on after reading this I went out to my work van and opened a socket set I purchased last weekend at my local sears and the ratchet is plainly stamped USA,I'm guessing it's certain models of ratchets? I do know after reading this I'll be reading the labels before buying anymore craftsman tools. Thanks for the heads up! :thumbs:0309131122.jpg

#9 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 09, 2013 - 02:42 PM

I just traded in a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet and the new one was USA.

Sear's Companion tools are all China.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 04:44 PM

I might stamp some toes here, but until we cut down on regulations that hamper business innovation and forces businesses to increase their prices to stay around, Americans can't make our own stuff as good as we used to.

Ben W.

• tractorgarden and pigsitter have said thanks

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:11 PM

They are not alone for making stupid business decisions. But, just like week I did the same as you at Sears, needed to replace a   ¼" nut driver and the store only had complete sets, so they just took the ¼" from a set, I'll go back and buy the rest in the mark-down bin. HD, Lowes, etc. all do stupid things, I picked up over 400 dollars worth of tools @ HD for 75 bucks last month :smilewink:

• tractorgarden said thank you

#12 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:21 PM

ever notice craftsman tools used to say "made in the usa" now they just say "usa". i havent bought anything from sears in a while i was in there looking at tool boxes a while back and noticed that the ones at china freight seem to be better made. the hand tools at harbor freight seem to be pretty good for me too (keep in mind im not using these tools too make a living either)

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Stay tuned for Shawn to give a full complaination er I mean explanation for the photos.

Attached Thumbnails

• rrr 034.jpg
  • rrr 035.jpg
  • rrr 036.jpg
  • rrr 037.jpg

#14 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:13 PM

The first picture shows a pair of 1/4" drive ratchets, notice the one in the plastic card (CHINA) has a pin coming out of the bottom of the drive;the American model does not. Both have the part# 44807,China model has additional letters,D-AB. USA has K3X.The next picture is a 1/2" drive, 44809, Same deal! Hope the helps shed some light on the subject!

Shawn 

• Alc and tractorgarden'sbabe have said thanks

#15 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:22 PM

the pin coming out of the drive looks like it would be awful weak

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tools, lost, china