#16 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:53 PM

The easiest way to quiet them down is to drop an Ipod in your pocket nd put earphones in.

thats what i do and if the people close enough to hear it doesn't like it they can get their ipods out. 

• larryd said thank you

#17 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:35 PM

On second thought, I have to apologize for my little noise rant earlier.  I'm a NY'er and we've had a bunch of heavy handed B.S. laws dumped down our throats lately and the mere thought of having to limit  my decibel output... well, that's just totally around the bend.  Sorry if I got outta bounds there or ran over any feet.

• larryd said thank you

#18 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:43 PM

My feet are fine Hydro!  I hear yer pain, I understand from some of my family up yer way they are getting heavy handed out there...

• larryd said thank you

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:13 AM

I agree with the sentiment Harold! We've had several of the "city folk" move into the neighborhood over the last 15 years...building their $300,000 homes and dicing the neighborhood into postage stamp sized "lots". They move to the country, but bring the city with them and complain about all the country noises i.e. tractors and farm equipment. They complain because my house isn't up to their standards or that "I'm dragging down their property values" My contention is that their driving up the property taxes! If you don't want to look at my house, plant a tree in your yard! Half of this house was here 100 years before you (or any of us) were born! (It's one of the three original farmsteads on the road)...Sorry, it's a rather sore spot for me too.

Back to the quiet muffler issue...

I have made several mufflers that are noticeably quieter than factory originals. Noise cancellation doesn't have to reduce power or cause undue back-pressure. Volume is the key to not reducing power and redirection is the key to sound reduction. Figure out how to redirect the sound waves without reducing the throughput volume capacity and you have a quieter muffler that will allow the engine to perform.

• Newpaws493, twostep and larryd have said thanks

#20 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:59 AM

On second thought, I have to apologize for my little noise rant earlier.  I'm a NY'er and we've had a bunch of heavy handed B.S. laws dumped down our throats lately and the mere thought of having to limit  my decibel output... well, that's just totally around the bend.  Sorry if I got outta bounds there or ran over any feet.

No problem Hydro, I'm sure that new SCUT sounds like a mouse with sneakers on!  It's funny, when I started this thread I didn't realize what a sensitive subject this is.  I just thought they ought to be able to make a quieter tractor.  Didn't think anyone would have a problem with that!

• larryd said thank you

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't think that anyone has a problem with someone wanting to make a tractor quieter, just if someone forces everyone to do it.

I don't run mine past or before decent hours and don't run it or them without at least some kind of muffler... Other than that, there shouldn't be anything else someone can say about it...

As for quieting down a tractor, the muffler that Caseguy made for Ryan is noticeably quieter. I still wouldn't put the tractor in the "whisper" category, but it is much better... You might look at a similar design.
  • caseguy said thank you

#22 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 11:59 AM

It's funny, when I started this thread I didn't realize what a sensitive subject this is. I just thought they ought to be able to make a quieter tractor.

+1
Has anyone found an aftermarket universal style muffler that is substantially quieter than the round salt shaker ones everyone uses? I use them too, but they do seem to be annoyingly loud.

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 12:02 PM

I found the link to the muffler we put on.
http://gardentractor...ly/#entry264675

#24 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 03:01 PM

Steve,

More factors than just a better muffler.

1. *An average internal combustion gasoline engine uses about 12,000 gallons of air to burn one gallon of gasoline.

2. Noise of moving parts, the thinner the metal the more it amplifies the noise, much like a speaker.

3. Lack of good quality machined and balanced parts ie: bearing, pulleys,etc.

4. So add 4-5 grand to the cost of a GT and you will have a quieter machine, that will weight a lot more than now, have better air filters, cooling and better quality and reliably. 

* This is just combustion air thru carb/fuel intake, and doesn't include noise of air that cools engine (one sucking it in, one moving)

• marlboro180 said thank you

#25 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 07:15 PM

I think JD really did their homework when it comes to noise on a GX335 for example.  First, they figgered out how to snuff the exhaust noise almost completely (20hp Kawi opposed twin).  It only truly barks with the snowblower going into heavy snow (and ya know that ain't been happening lately!:D).  When mowing the exhaust is nice and even and the deck noise overpowers the exhaust and the mechanical engine noise.

The design of the hollow GX hood includes an "air chamber" that's gasketed to the engine.  This pretty much quiets the flywheel air circulation.  I guess if they really wanted to have charged another $300 they could have included an acoustic absorption layer behind the "space age plastic hood" to kill more of the mechanical sounds.  But, for all uses that I've put it through it's a pretty darn quiet machine.  With the hood off after washing the engine it's noticeablly more noisy when it's drying. 

Come to think on it, this is really the only tractor I haven't put straight stacks on.  My 2 Gravely L's both had a 90º bent tube and a chrome Electrolux vacuum cleaner wand for the pipe.  The little Sears rider 42" nearly the same set-up.  All my cars were JC Whitney glass packs and trucks were equipped with "after market home designed vertical exhaust systems too... Which is yet another reason that I hear bees and mosquitos all day and night 24/7/360!:D

You may not think it's all that loud when you're in the seat... But give it a few years!  Wear your ear protection!  You can thank me now or you can say "Huh... what?" down the road.:D (I'm certainly NOT pushing for any mandatory headphone laws you can be sure!:D)

• twostep said thank you

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 02:58 PM

The first time a guy in this neighborhood 75 miles north of "The Big Apple" complains about my motor equipment... either he goes or I go and before I do it's going to get hypermessy (and noisy-er! :D) before either happens.  My unpleasant noise producing stuff has always been available my entire life with me to run it any time anybody has needed motorized help. 

The whiney city mentality bred folks moving out "to the country" expect their apartment dwelling right on top of each other society to prevail over established practices in use out here since the first gas engines?  If you can't stand the noise of my "stuff" go back to the city or find a nice gated community and leave us country boys alone.  We'll all die off soon enough and take our values with us... then you can change anything you want any way you want to after that!

If it's your own equipment causing you grief, it's very simple to find effective, comfortable and even entertaining hearing protection today at minimal cost.  If you worry about the neighbors, don't.  I let him find his own solutions... I have to listen to all manner of "neighbor noise pollution" 89% of the year none of which I can remediate and still remain outside or even at home...  I just have to endure because, thank God, it's still the U.S.A here where I live and I respect a neighbor's right to be alive.  Mowers, chainsaws, trimmers, etc. is welcome entertainment compared to the rest of the **** I have to listen to. :D

If I've offended anyone.... Well, darn it, did I do that again! :dancingbanana:  :D

quoting because it needs to be said agiain!

I don't think that anyone has a problem with someone wanting to make a tractor quieter, just if someone forces everyone to do it.

exactly.

Back on topic. I am really suprised how quite my KT-17 is. Of course the exhuast also points out the front of the machin too so that could be part of it. I like a good exhaust sound but I also like quiet.

#27 refracman OFFLINE  

refracman
  • Member No: 10428
  • 41 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think pre 1980 muffler noise was not that much of a problem, I know most of my tractors after that are qiuter and the 2003 is by far the most quite.

JD was the first to encapulate the motor along with Cub ( hence the quite series). I know I prefer to use the 03 over the rest just because of the lower noise levels.

You can always use a twin muffler on a single and route to the front and bottom.

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Bolens was in the game of  noise reduction in the 70's when they Came out with the QS  and QT Series Tractors

http://books.google....ounding&f=false

#29 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Noise is something that is personal. By that I mean everyone has a different tolerance to noise and a different concept of what noise is.

My biggest pet peeve is the LowRider Sleds that rattle my windows  from a 1/4 mile away.I've sometimes wondered why the constant BOOM,BOOM, Boom did not cause metal stress fractures that would make them collapse in a heap?

My Gt's and Tractor don't bother me much, but have to admit after hours in the saddle I think the noise does contribute to fatigue at the end of the day.

I do think more can be done to quiet them down. And wonder if the uses of plastics that we think of as cheapening the product, does not contribute to quieting them??  I suspect it is far easier to formulate composites with better harmonic dampening characteristics, than steel.

The use of those products in racing cars and aircraft has proven to improve the product and think it is just a matter of time before they make it into out GT's and tractors.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 13, 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#30 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 13, 2013 - 01:02 PM

i like loud. straight piped is the only way to go. if the nieghbors complain. make the tractor louder