• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Garden tractors and other outdoor power equipment are very loud.  So loud that many municipalities have ordinances limiting their use to normal waking hours.  This would seem to be a fairly easy problem to fix.  With all the advances that have been made in automotive muffler technology, couldn't some of that technology find it's way to GT's?  

I know your first argument is going to be that it would cost more, but don't you think there is a group of consumers that would pay $50 or $100 more for a "quiet technology" engine?  If I was at the dealer and was testing two equivalent tractors and one was noticeably quieter than the other I would pay extra money for that.

I don't have one but I think the Electrak tractors are cool.  I love the Youtube video of an Electrak blowing snow.  The only noise you can hear is the attachment whirring into the snowbank.

Edited by ggsteve, March 09, 2013 - 08:46 AM.

• boyscout862, A.C.T., larryd and 1 other said thanks

#2 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,551 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:46 AM

1 or 2 cylinder...pop,pop,pop.......Notice a 2 cyl seems quieter than a single....

and...small mufflers.

• larryd said thank you

#3 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 341 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Muffling the exhaust is relatively easy - it is the mechanical noise of the engine, especially the combustion pulses which cause the cooling fins on the cylinder and head to ring that are the difficult part. 

No all engines are created equal, though. The Kohler 15.5 in the tractor I blew snow with in past years was an order of magnitude quieter than the Briggs singles or twins I have used. 

Noise and emissions are two big reasons why water cooling is going to become more popular, I predict. 

• larryd said thank you

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,364 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:02 AM

My 2012 X320 is very quiet compared with older mowers. However running the blades makes noise. As mentioned mufflers have changed.

3Ge3k63F65L35G45H8d2id63dc8121bfc1374.jpg   A little louder!

• larryd said thank you

#5 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I like LOUD. Very, very loud. When my neighbors complain, I send them a cake.

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

• larryd said thank you

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,364 Thanks
  • 1,810 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:55 AM

I'd like to quiet my Bolens down without breaking the bank, open to ideas... :watch_over_fence:

• larryd said thank you

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,195 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:57 AM

I don't mind the engine "noise", it's the roar of the mower decks that I can't stand.

• larryd said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:22 AM

I had a liquid cooled JD x475 (23hp v twin Kawi). It was very loud. Louder than my diesel 2320. Exhaust noise and rad cooling fan noise. The manufacturers could make them quieter in terms of exhaust noise but probably won't go to the trouble until regulations require them to meet a certain noise level. It's usually regulation that provides the impetus for safety and hazard improvements. 

• larryd said thank you

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 635 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Steve,

I agree on the loudness of them, and would love to have an ElekTrak someday.  It's funny you brought this up as just yesterday I was out plowing  back some snowbanks with my Onan powered Case.  My neighbor from down the road  happened by on his daily walk at the moment, and I took my earmuffs off so we could chat.   He commented that he was glad he knows now which machine makes all the racket in the neighborhood, as he was thinking his nearby neighbor was getting goofy by using a leaf blower to remove heavy snow! :rolling:

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#10 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,466 Thanks
  • 1,412 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yea, would be nice to quiet some these machine's down, a  few towns here have banned the use of gas powered weed wackers, leaf blowers and hedge trimmers, chains saws must be excluded cause those are a neccesity i guess....Not sure how much restriction and power loss you would get from a better muffler ......

• larryd said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:17 AM

The easiest way to quiet them down is to drop an Ipod in your pocket nd put earphones in.
  • Toolpartzman and larryd have said thanks

#12 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Validating
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,689 Thanks
  • 1,148 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think a greater percentage of the population whines more. Feed 'em cheese.

Mike

• olcowhand, twostep and larryd have said thanks

#13 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,195 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think a greater percentage of the population whines more. Feed 'em cheese.

Mike

Exactly!

Yea, would be nice to quiet some these machine's down, a  few towns here have banned the use of gas powered weed wackers, leaf blowers and hedge trimmers, chains saws must be excluded cause those are a neccesity i guess....Not sure how much restriction and power loss you would get from a better muffler ......

You've got to be kidding!?

• twostep and larryd have said thanks

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,489 Thanks
  • 7,843 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Think the V-twin Vanguards I've had are big progress to quiet!  Even twin k's in opposed lay-out are quieter than singles. I really think most mufflers are cheap and have short life before rusting out. Then a guy won't pay the big bucks for right one and gets generic tin can that is OK for awhile, then goes bad, OR is never quiet like stock one was.  Back in 80's IH and Ford and others all had sides with insulation on hoods to quiet things down. Think bigger muffs too on those and K engines were QS Quiet versions then. Think that is why one-piece hoods came on as the way to go too. Wonder what that new Hybrid mower at the Lumber Yard sounds like? You guys mention Electracs, but this one is gass engine too, so must make some noise??

• larryd said thank you

#15 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 703 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 04:06 PM

The first time a guy in this neighborhood 75 miles north of "The Big Apple" complains about my motor equipment... either he goes or I go and before I do it's going to get hypermessy (and noisy-er!:D) before either happens.  My unpleasant noise producing stuff has always been available my entire life with me to run it any time anybody has needed motorized help. 

The whiney city mentality bred folks moving out "to the country" expect their apartment dwelling right on top of each other society to prevail over established practices in use out here since the first gas engines?  If you can't stand the noise of my "stuff" go back to the city or find a nice gated community and leave us country boys alone.  We'll all die off soon enough and take our values with us... then you can change anything you want any way you want to after that!

If it's your own equipment causing you grief, it's very simple to find effective, comfortable and even entertaining hearing protection today at minimal cost.  If you worry about the neighbors, don't.  I let him find his own solutions... I have to listen to all manner of "neighbor noise pollution" 89% of the year none of which I can remediate and still remain outside or even at home...  I just have to endure because, thank God, it's still the U.S.A here where I live and I respect a neighbor's right to be alive.  Mowers, chainsaws, trimmers, etc. is welcome entertainment compared to the rest of the **** I have to listen to.:D 

If I've offended anyone.... Well, darn it, did I do that again! :dancingbanana: :D

• caseguy, jimbobbillyray, twostep and 2 others have said thanks