• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted March 31, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I think for general use it does not really matter what you have as long as it holds air and is round! Even if your front end is out of whack, it will take a while to wear out. I had the originals on mine and I think they were small 5 ribs. Worked fine for mowing the field, lawn and trucking firewood and light snow plowing in the winter. When I started "logging" on a lot next door, they had a hard time staying on the trail in the mud. Really bad on a slope. They were old and cracked, started to come apart. I replaced both fronts with a pretty aggressive tire from Tractor supply. Nice little tire. Still did not matter on the lawns but made a huge difference logging. I am in the proccess of building my Jake GT14 for my all purpose work tractor. Firewood, logging, plowing, lugging the trailer and dragging the small york rake around my shop. Im going to put ag's on it front and back. Leave the others with turfs for mowing. Hope this helps!

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,413 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Buck, how about pics/info on those tires. Might be another option for folks to consider!

#18 Buck OFFLINE  

Buck

• Member No: 5225
  • 36 Thanks
  • 116 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:52 PM

I can give you the part number-sku0303165. This is the tire style I bought for the front. Of course you will need to size your own tire for your tractor but this will lead you to what treads my fronts have. This is at Tractor Supply. Its a hi-run turf tire. For some reason my computer will not save the pic.

• KennyP said thank you

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted April 01, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm with Doug & vote for the 5rib Verdestein. Don't plow in tight turns on turf, but still give plenty of traction bite.
  • KennyP said thank you

#20 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 01:57 PM

I have the 5-rib tires on a Moline. Personally, I like the look. They are a better deal for the money in my book. I think it would be difficult to notice that one out-performs the other, and I would also say that a turf tire would grip better on snow and ice if that's mostly what you're after. Look at all-season car tires...