Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:47 AM

OK from your picture I understand better how the injection works. It doesn't a pump as such, it has individual pumps for each cylinder. If you look close you should see a rod with teeth that rotates a gear on the pumps. It's like a rack and pinion system. When the rod is moved back and forth it rotates the barrels in the pumps. There should be a small camshaft below the pumps that push up on the pumps. There should also be some flyweights to control the speed.

I have seen this before on a 2 cyl Lister Diesel. This is very similar he a Detroit Diesel works except they combine the pump and inj together..
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#107 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:39 PM

The throttle lever and the foot pedal both push the pump lever to its stop so  something is bent or mis-adjusted. From the looks of your pic, your throttle works opposite of mine, yours pulls back to increase engine RPM. I would say that the spring you see inside the pump is connected to the governor and controls engine speed not returns the lever to idle, the throttle lever should be stiff to move and keep the RPMs at whatever level you set it at.

#108 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Also I forgot to add, the thermal start will actually start a flame in the intake, there is a youtube video of it, I had a hard time believing it also!

#109 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 12:55 PM

I forgot about the thermal thing, mine had glow plugs.

My little Kubota diesel is being cranked from a 950cc amp Delco battery and it too still struggles at times. I put better cables on it and that made a big difference.
I'd tow it if you have a buddy that can give ya a tug. Put it in hi range and give'r a tug . It will save your battery and starter too. Just don't go too fast!!

#110 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:20 PM

I forgot about the thermal thing, mine had glow plugs.

My little Kubota diesel is being cranked from a 950cc amp Delco battery and it too still struggles at times. I put better cables on it and that made a big difference.
I'd tow it if you have a buddy that can give ya a tug. Put it in hi range and give'r a tug . It will save your battery and starter too. Just don't go too fast!!

'fraid I'll have to Keith. Thats a brand New bbattery and installed new cables also. I guess that means it doesn't lack for compression. Not likely to skid the rears  with those big rice-masher tires.

#111 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:40 PM

OK from your picture I understand better how the injection works. It doesn't a pump as such, it has individual pumps for each cylinder. If you look close you should see a rod with teeth that rotates a gear on the pumps. It's like a rack and pinion system. When the rod is moved back and forth it rotates the barrels in the pumps. There should be a small camshaft below the pumps that push up on the pumps. There should also be some flyweights to control the speed.

I have seen this before on a 2 cyl Lister Diesel. This is very similar he a Detroit Diesel works except they combine the pump and inj together..

I have it buttoned back up now Pat. I expected just tapped holes in the casting, but somewhat curious why that assembly didn't have some lube. Would that be where pump timing is changed, ?

#112 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Just learned grandson's in town so gramps needs to make an appearance. As Bill says that throttle linkage needs to be tight and its as loose as a goose. I'd better fix that before the tow. I hope I can get it done before noon tomorrow-leaving on another trip into Kenny's neck -of- the- woods and won't be back 'til thurs.

I guess I could've picked an easier way to get my Diesel education. Can't have better instructors though  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: Heck,Keith if we get 'er running, I might just make a Puller out of it  :rolling:

#113 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 02:49 PM

I'm not sure how its adjusted.

#114 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Just learned grandson's in town so gramps needs to make an appearance. As Bill says that throttle linkage needs to be tight and its as loose as a goose. I'd better fix that before the tow. I hope I can get it done before noon tomorrow-leaving on another trip into Kenny's neck -of- the- woods and won't be back 'til thurs.

I guess I could've picked an easier way to get my Diesel education. Can't have better instructors though  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1: Heck,Keith if we get 'er running, I might just make a Puller out of it  :rolling:

Where you headed this time, Lee? There's a Farm Show in Claremore the 22nd thru the 24th. NEOGTA will be there.

#115 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Where you headed this time, Lee? There's a Farm Show in Claremore the 22nd thru the 24th. NEOGTA will be there.

We're doubling-up this week Kenny--2 jobs. Springfield and Lamar, Mo.  My brother was in Tulsa yesterday to depart for 9 days in China with a school group- I instructed him to bring me back something "Made in America". :rolling:

Nothing the 22-24th, I'd like to be there------

#116 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 17, 2013 - 08:46 AM

I will have the DB there and maybe the MF10.

#117 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 04:44 AM

After a week of travel and rain:

Tried to pull-start it today. The big rice tires have such a small footprint, that all they do is skid. After "plowing" my gravel driveway and skidding down the street, I'm longing for engines that START WITH ONLY FUEL AND FIRE  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: 

After calming down some I've pulled the injectors and will try to clean 'em tomorrow.

#118 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 10:04 AM

What gear did you have it when you were pulling it?  Was the pavement dry?

#119 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Was it in the highest gear ? Like hi- 3rd ? It will skidd in lower gears.

#120 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 27, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Was it in the highest gear ? Like hi- 3rd ? It will skidd in lower gears.

Yes guys--the highest gear 3-Hi The height of the tire knobs doesn't leave much for ground contact. I plowed 2 very nice furrows in my gravel drive and various black marks in the dry asphalt street--about 3/4 mile all together.

I cleaned the injectors (pintle type)  and filled them with diesel before assembly. Since install, if cranked the battery down now-still no start and am charging the battery again. I cracked the banjo fittings atop the injectors and I'm getting fuel out the return lines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar diesel