#91 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:39 PM

AHA!  Someone has been messing with the pump & put the bracket on wrong.  Look close at this pic.

attachicon.gifyanmar.jpg

Well rats, I cant' see it well enough. Wonder if there's a way to enlarge it.? I just went to the shop and it does look like either the limiter or the shaft bracket could easily be flip-flopped.

OK I see it now. turned 90 degrees. If you notice my pics, the area within the 4 bolts is unpainted-thought that was odd. I'll bet if I pull it off, the back is painted.   

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 15, 2013 - 07:53 PM.

#92 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:39 PM

Now I wonder what else they messed with.

Look real close to see if any other things have been "worked on". I just hope they haven't tried to rotate the pump.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#93 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I would move the lever and see if there is a detent anywhere when you move the lever, just before the detent should be idle, after that is should be off.  I have seen Diesels shut off like this before. As far as a de-accelerator, after you start the motor you pull the throttle to full power, Cat uses it to idle the motor so you can shift from forward to reverse. 

By moving that shaft bracket by hand, I can't detect a detent. But there is an internal force that returns the bracket to 12 o'clock. It may be a spring, but maybe hydraulic pressure--? Really Slow and smooth

#94 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I spent weeks working on a 2.5L BMW Diesel in an 1981 Lincoln, (yes they made them, only about 2000 made), just to find out it ad a bad o-ring. Somebody before me tried to rotate the inj pump and had it out of time.

I had to drive 60 miles to get copies of the manual for it.

#95 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:46 PM

By moving that shaft bracket by hand, I can't detect a detent. But there is an internal force that returns the bracket to 12 o'clock. It may be a spring, but maybe hydraulic pressure--? Really Slow and smooth

I'll bet that is the shutoff position, and with the other bracket bolted on wrong that may be the problem.

#96 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Lets see if I improved anything to see.

There, that's better!

yanny2.jpg

#97 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:59 PM

There, that's better!

attachicon.gifyanny2.jpg

Oh yeah--Wish I knew the owner , I'd give him a call----- :rolling:

#98 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 05:47 AM

There, that's better!

attachicon.gifyanny2.jpg

Thanks for the pic Daniel-Its rare to find one with the side panels removed.

#99 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 06:09 AM

You guys have given me some hope in a fog of confusion. There's a boat dealer about a mile from here that uses an Old Yanmar for dragging boats around and I'm headed there at first light. Hopefully I can get a comparison about the pump, and a more clear idea on stopping/starting squence as this manual I'm using is junk.

The more I think about it Pat's (Amigatec) info about the de-cell pedal would explain a bunch. I've studied more pics and lots of these tractors had them.       :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:  :worshippy1:

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 16, 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#100 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:31 AM

Thanks for the pic Daniel-Its rare to find one with the side panels removed.

You can thank Google for the pics, and me for cropping & resizing it.  The hunt is part of the reward when helping others.

#101 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I just went out to the garage to look at my pump and linkage, mine is different because it is a 2 cyl but the idea is the same. The pump arm hits the stop at max engine RPM not at shut off. Also I wanted to note that mine  has the throttle pedal, its a throttle pedal not a decel pedal. I think OLCOWHAND has your answer in the pic he posted, the stop bracket needs to be turned 90 degrees, this would also tell you which way is accel and decel knowing the stop is the max RPM stop. As a note, my throttle lever doesnt have a "spring to center" or return, it has to maintain a throttle setting when set there, but the throttle pedal does have a return. Hope this helps.. Bill. 

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#102 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,407 Thanks
  • 3,157 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 09:14 AM

Well , should not see flame in the intake !!! You could have a sticking valve, or something else like a broken rocker or spring!! Pop off the valve cover and look !!
Another easy check is remove the intake tube and put your gloved hand over it while cranking, if it blows back on your hand it has an issue that needs attention asap.

Edited by skyrydr2, March 16, 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#103 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well , should not see flame in the intake !!! You could have a sticking valve, or something else like a broken rocker or spring!! Pop off the valve cover and look !!
Another easy check is remove the intake tube and put your gloved hand over it while cranking, if it blows back on your hand it has an issue that needs attention asap.

Keith, I covered it with both my hand and the block of wood--it wants to suck both into the hole, not blow back. You can see in the latest pics, the thermal start coil and fuel line is attached to the left and below the inlet. The interior is so thick with grease it may be possible that the TS coil could have ignited the oil. ---?

#104 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:21 AM

Here are the pics of the change--the bracket acts as an inspection plate as well, and I can see the return spring attached to the throttle shaft inside the case. After mounting the linkage comes up short of full stroke (if the screw is set right). When you depress the foot control it stops when it contacts the plate, however you can over-ride that with the hand control.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3150163.JPG
  • P3150164.JPG
  • P3150165.JPG
  • P3150166.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

#105 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 16, 2013 - 11:27 AM

I just went out to the garage to look at my pump and linkage, mine is different because it is a 2 cyl but the idea is the same. The pump arm hits the stop at max engine RPM not at shut off. Also I wanted to note that mine  has the throttle pedal, its a throttle pedal not a decel pedal. I think OLCOWHAND has your answer in the pic he posted, the stop bracket needs to be turned 90 degrees, this would also tell you which way is accel and decel knowing the stop is the max RPM stop. As a note, my throttle lever doesnt have a "spring to center" or return, it has to maintain a throttle setting when set there, but the throttle pedal does have a return. Hope this helps.. Bill. 

Thankx a bunch Bill--thats a big help.  Does your pedal control--when depressed---stop against the foot plate? Mine does and I'm uncertain whether its bent or supposed to stop there. The hand control can over-ride it, but when you have one hand on compression release, one on the starter switch, one scratching something, there's not enuff hands left for the throttle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar diesel