#76 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:05 PM

Sorry-I couldn't comment on each pic directly--If you look closely at the very bottom of the first pic--at the corner of the foot plate, there is a secondary foot throttle--pushing it down-also brings the throttle lever rearward (towards driver) so the tractor is backwards from the "Book"?

I'm cranking her with a 650 cranking amp Marine battery. it spins it like a '63 plymouth. When I release the compression release, its apparent that compression is present because cranking slows considerably. After much trying it "seems" to try to fire because this cranking momentarily quickens--as if engine and starter are both working--for just a second or 2, thats all.***

I had 2 sessions today about 45 minutes this AM and about an hour this afternoon--the above repeats. I bled the fitting at the injectors twice this PM and in order to reach #2 cylinder, I pull the intake tube and white smoke-even flame is present in the intake.

Air in the injectors themselves? Darn thing almost acts flooded. The air cleaner may be dirty-haven't replaced it, but I've tried it with it removed-no difference.

I hung on to the starter switch and got it to go maybe 4 seconds--like its trying harder , then nothing.

My other issue is, Im really jumpy about cranking the starter-under compression, for more than about 15 seconds, for fear of frying the starter---------SO between cooling the starter,  and re-charging the battery, its wearing me slick ... :wallbanging:

#77 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Is it possible the pedal is a de-accelerator? Designed to bring the motor back to idle. I know Cat Dozers are like this.
  • Toolpartzman said thank you

#78 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Let me ask this, how is the motor shut off? Does it have a knob you pull, or do you move he throttle all the way to one end?

#79 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Let me ask this, how is the motor shut off? Does it have a knob you pull, or do you move he throttle all the way to one end?

"1) Stop Tractor, and shift trans to neutral. 2)  Set Parking brake by depressing pedals and engage lock. 3) Pull throttle back to slow idle and allow to idle for 2 minutes. 4) Pull throttle "fully rearward to stop engine"  .    5) Turn key off and remove key

6) Lower implement to ground.   Important: do not use de-compression lever to stop engine"

There may be a clue here ??

Edited by Toolpartzman, March 15, 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#80 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:43 PM

On my YM165D the engine speed increases with the lever pushed forward and shuts the engine off when pulled fully rearward. But, on the other hand, a friend of mine has a gray market YM13D and the throttle works opposite of mine. I know this is no help but I thought you should be aware that both systems were used.  

#81 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:44 PM

Is it possible the pedal is a de-accelerator? Designed to bring the motor back to idle. I know Cat Dozers are like this.

You know, it well could be because the device is NOT std on this model tractor and as so not mentioned in the manual. You may be on to something. It may be that I was trying to start the beast in Idle postion!!

#82 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 06:50 PM

On my YM165D the engine speed increases with the lever pushed forward and shuts the engine off when pulled fully rearward. But, on the other hand, a friend of mine has a gray market YM13D and the throttle works opposite of mine. I know this is no help but I thought you should be aware that both systems were used.  

I was concerned because I read that somewhere and the PO was absolutley NO Help. This is a Grey tractor 1400D with a 3T72 engine, but has similarities to a YM169D.     Would you examine the pics above--one shows the pump linkage-full "rear" and 'centered'-spring assisted---You may have my solution in your TM  165D :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

#83 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:01 PM

I think you guys are on to something ---In the 5 pics posted a few minutes ago the top right photo is made with EITHER

the hand lever REARward OR the foot pedal Pressed ( this action rotates the Pump shaft CW)

Here they are--The right photo is spring "return'--(no operator input) Link is verticle.

Attached Thumbnails

• P3150160.JPG
  • P3150159.JPG

#84 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Pat you and Enginerod may save the day       If the pumps are similar ,  shaft rotation may match and the diffierence is in

the hand linkage-----That means operator error on my part---Dang thing wants to start and I won't let it !!

:tapping_fingers:

#85 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I would move the lever and see if there is a detent anywhere when you move the lever, just before the detent should be idle, after that is should be off.  I have seen Diesels shut off like this before. As far as a de-accelerator, after you start the motor you pull the throttle to full power, Cat uses it to idle the motor so you can shift from forward to reverse. 

#86 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:29 PM

What's odd to me is that there is a limiter at the top, but nothing mates to it.

#87 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:29 PM

I'll disconnect the horizontal link and work the shaft bracket to see if I can feel the detent. The linkage from hand to shaft is too sloppy to feel anything. I have seen pics of some of these small tractors with the shaft bracket pointing to 6 o'clock instead of 12 and that would account for $%$#@^&% being backwards.

I just went to the shop to try a start with the throttle reversed--battery pretty low now, but it made a better  effort to light up !!!!

#88 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:31 PM

What's odd to me is that there is a limiter at the top, but nothing mates to it.

I noticed that as well.

#89 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yes Daniel, that sort of puzzeled me too. but with incorrect manual and precious little info on the little bugger, it makes for tractor forensics.   

#90 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:33 PM

AHA!  Someone has been messing with the pump & put the bracket on wrong.  Look close at this pic.

yanmar.jpg

• Amigatec and Toolpartzman have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar diesel