skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 04:54 AM

White smoke is a lean condition on a diesel, it doesn't have either enough fuel yet OR it is low on compression , this could be from sitting so long. To get through this you need to CRANK THAT BAD BOY AS FAST AS IT IS POSSIBLE !! Pulling it if its a standard shift would work. Once started it needs to run and get hot , then it should come back to life , if it doesn't a few more trys with an oil change to a good thin oil may help.

Also Don't  think it will start on the compression release.... only use it as a cranking aid , get it cranking, while cranking ,close the release so the engine is back to full compression and keep cranking!

It may need you to crank through it trying to start the first time.

Fuel at the injectors during cranking should just be little squirts if only looseened, if removed completely will be dribbles. Also have this thing at at least half throttle to full . My little booger Yanny did the same ething as yours when I first got it , I towed the little stinker down the driveway (over 300' long) a few times and finally got it to go, let it warm up and it has never failed since. :thumbs:

• Alc and Toolpartzman have said thanks

#62 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:57 AM

Maybe one more thing to check would be the fuel shut-off opening all the way . I've only had this happen once  Had a  binding/sticking linkage , it opened enough that  ( truck that was sitting a long time   F800) started hard and wouldn't run much over 1000 rpm WOT .  By dumb luck I messed with the shut off and it moved just  a little further and started running better , like I said just a long shot but you never know , Al

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#63 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 07:58 AM

MAKING PROGRESS !!

After much bleeding and cranking, I finally got it to run--white smoke--but only idling--throttle won't respond. It finally died

period.

Climbing off the tractor, I noticed the filter bowl was down to half -full.  That just CAN"T BE RIGHT. Gravity flow from the tank

HAS to outrun the injector pump?? So, I called it a day.  After much head scratching, I decided yesterday to clean the dickens

out of everything from the tank cap to the injectors again and found a couple of interesting candidates.

1) tank-to-filter line had a crack under the hose clamp.

2) Disassembling the filter housing etc. the inlet and outlet (to the injector pump) is at the same level so NO WAY the pump sees   fuel when the level drops??? After a thorough cleaning, I discovered the housing air bleed line (1/8th inch) contained the remnants of a mud-dobber nest--BLOCKED. So when I "thought" I was bleeding the filter head, I actually wasn't.

I suspect, I created an old fashioned "Vapor Lock"-This may account for low RPMs and the fact that it finally dies from starvation.

I'm headed to pick-up oil for an oil change, charging the TM battery, then I'll give it a go. If this fails, I'm at wits end.   :wallbanging:

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#64 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,482 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 09:18 AM

If this fails, I'm at wits end.    :wallbanging:

Don't give up yet. That thing hasn't got any brains so it can't out smart you. It would seem that every time you dig into it you find something else and so far nothing major. Just keep plugging away and you  will conquer the beast. We are here rooting for you. :D

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#65 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:26 AM

From what you just posted, it sounds like you may have gotten to the root of the problem.  Keep digging and fixing, sooner or later it will run.

From what you posted, I can't tell if you ALSO found something restricting the fuel flow from the tank to the filter.  You are right, that HAS to stay full.  If it isn't, keep digging and find out where the restriction is.

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 15, 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#66 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 10:30 AM

Good to hear you seem to have found the problem :thumbs:

#67 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 01:57 PM

Check every single opening for them little boogers, even the vent tube for the crankcase.

#68 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have found even worn out diesels will still run. I had a very worn out 5.7 Olds, it would roll LOTS and LOTS of white smoke when it was cold, but after to warmed up it would run all day long with just a little smoke.. It had a top end of 82 MPH, and you had to pedal awful hard to get there. I had a push button on the glow plugs and above 80* the plugs weren't needed, it would start just fine.

One thing about a Diesel, don't baby it, but don't abuse it either. You have to work a Diesel to make last, warm it up good and get after it. I have never seen a babied Diesel last very long.

#69 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Check every single opening for them little boogers, even the vent tube for the crankcase.

Keith the only vent I've found thus far is the valve cover breather. It's not a check like a PCV valve, only some filter material. I cleaned and blew it out also.--Is there possily another crankcase vent?

#70 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Good to hear you seem to have found the problem :thumbs:

Found "some" possibly, but not "The" one yet. Still no luck today. BTW, the meter has only  3-digits, not 4, so I have no clue to hours. Just don't think there's many.

#71 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Keith the only vent I've found thus far is the valve cover breather. It's not a check like a PCV valve, only some filter material. I cleaned and blew it out also.--Is there possily another crankcase vent?

Diesels won't have a PCV vent, no vacuum, also the crankcase vent won't be connected back the intake. Diesels are dumb when it comes to fuel, if it burns thy will run on it, if the vent was piped back the intake, there's a good chance the motor can run on the Oil vapor. Then you have no throttle control.

#72 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:29 PM

Thank goodness for your support guys, because crankin' this 'ol girl is MAKIN ME CRANKY!!

STILL NOTHING.

#73 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Diesels won't have a PCV vent, no vacuum, also the crankcase vent won't be connected back the intake. Diesels are dumb when it comes to fuel, if it burns thy will run on it, if the vent was piped back the intake, there's a good chance the motor can run on the Oil vapor. Then you have no throttle control.

Thanks Pat. Are you saying that there's no relief or vent to atmosphere (to anywhere I guess) for crankcase pressure?

#74 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:34 PM

I have never seen one on a Diesel, they normally just have a draft tube.

#75 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 15, 2013 - 05:47 PM

I have a couple of nagging issues--one is  the throttle arrangement, even the PO was no help. Maybe Keith could answer. in the pic below---The hand-lever throttle is sprung to near center position. The

book says left is idle (toward driver) right forward is fast idle. Forward is the only position where I've managed to get it to run. I wondering if its possibly backwards? A possibly governor somewhere?                                  

Attached Thumbnails

• P3150158.JPG
  • P3150159.JPG
  • P3150160.JPG
  • P3150161.JPG
  • P3150162.JPG

• boyscout862 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar diesel