#1 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:05 PM

So it doesn't start, runs rough when it does, and the PO thinks an injector is bad- Never messed with one before, but here goes.  If it it turns out OK, I'll keep it.

Won't crank, so I've swapped batteries and ready to install decent cables in hopes it will at least crank. Then replace the fuel with new, check all the fluids then I'll Be screaming for help from you guys, I'm sure-----

Attached Thumbnails

• P3080149.JPG
  • P3080150.JPG
  • P3080151.JPG
  • P3080152.JPG
  • P3080153.JPG

• KennyP, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:11 PM

Awesome ! I had a chance to buy a Ford 1200 for less than scrap value it may be something simple like a Air lock in the fuel system hope all turns out good Also make sure the 3-point lever is in the Lowered position as it will take more power to crank over ..

• Toolpartzman said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:11 PM

WOW! that is a nice tractor. Check the solenoid and the switch. There is probably a couple of safety switches on the clutch and shifters. Take your time. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:30 PM

The clutch has a start interrupter switch that's been bypassed and I did manage to get it the solenoid to  "click" with a hot battery, but the cables were junk and its been sitting over a year.

I thought at first it was Buttugly with those paddle tires, but I'm warming up to it.--16HP 3 -cyl Yanmar 4WD,-hummm, maybe I could get some work out of it---Right front tire needs a new tube before I roll it into the shop.

#5 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Wow that is some wicked deep tread on those tires.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,537 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:37 PM

That tractor is a beauty. Once you've fixed it up, you will never sell it. If worst comes to worst will this fit  https://www.surplusc...sp?Item=28-1818  ?

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:50 PM

That is a nice looking Yanmar!!  My bet is it will be well worth the effort to gt it running right. Based on my experience with my Ford, running well it will be a real workhorse. My Ford is 20HP but since I rarely run it over 1700 rpm it's probably at around 16 hp at that speed. You might wat to check the glow plugs first. At arounf 17 degrees mine wants to run on 1 cly for a few seconds before the 2nd cyl fires(I think I have a weak glow plug).

I almost bought a Yanmar like that the day before I bought my Ford. One thing you might need to check is the front end.

They have a Wedge(with a threaded bolt) that links the steering arm to the kingpin that tends to wear and need replaced. I don't think they are too expensive.  I found that out after I passed on one with wobbly front wheels.

There are many parts suppliers for Yanmar around the country.

Those paddle tires might take some getting used to, but I think you will like them. Remember the Japanese used these to run a tiller in flooded rice paddys. So a little Arkansas mud should be no problem at all.

Look forward to hearing more about this project!! I love the Diesels and am learning myself.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 05:23 PM

You'll like your Yanmar.  Those tires are great in the snow.  I used to drag dead tractors with a Yanmar 2 cylinder diesel 2wd at a dealership. 

Unless there is crud in the pump, my advice would be to take the injectors to a diesel service shop or automotive shop that has an injector tester.  It shouldn't be much to test, and that will rule out one problem. 

Ben W.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 05:46 PM

That looks in pretty nice condition. They are great tractors and I've seen some as large as 35hp locally. I'm thinking that after you get the fuel system cleaned out and the starter/glow plugs working it will start right up. 

#10 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yanmar makes a quality tractor.  Those tires are often called "Rice tires", and will be REALLY good in sloppy mud.

I'm a bit puzzled as why a PO put the front tires on 'backwards' like that.  I could see why if it was a 2-wd, as that would give you better steering. But for a 4-wd, you would want them turned around so you would get better traction while in 4-wd.

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Tires reversed?  Heard for Backing Up in slick spot?!  Good grip in reverse then.  ???  Thought I heard that here, but maybe MTF instead.

#12 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:21 PM

That tractor is a beauty. Once you've fixed it up, you will never sell it. If worst comes to worst will this fit  https://www.surplusc...sp?Item=28-1818  ?

Should fit OK in the Yanmar, but I'd like it better in my Case 446

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#13 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I swapped them--Both fronts were so flat, I had to pull the wheels off , haul the fronts to a bigger compressor just so they'd take air.

Yanmar makes a quality tractor.  Those tires are often called "Rice tires", and will be REALLY good in sloppy mud.

I'm a bit puzzled as why a PO put the front tires on 'backwards' like that.  I could see why if it was a 2-wd, as that would give you better steering. But for a 4-wd, you would want them turned around so you would get better traction while in 4-wd.

I didn't pay attention to which was which because I had to pull 'em again once I got it home. I joked with the PO about the rears. I said they must be driving in Rice Patties. Never guessed I could be right !!!

:rolling:  :rolling:

#14 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:31 PM

That is a nice looking Yanmar!!  My bet is it will be well worth the effort to gt it running right. Based on my experience with my Ford, running well it will be a real workhorse. My Ford is 20HP but since I rarely run it over 1700 rpm it's probably at around 16 hp at that speed. You might wat to check the glow plugs first. At arounf 17 degrees mine wants to run on 1 cly for a few seconds before the 2nd cyl fires(I think I have a weak glow plug).

I almost bought a Yanmar like that the day before I bought my Ford. One thing you might need to check is the front end.

They have a Wedge(with a threaded bolt) that links the steering arm to the kingpin that tends to wear and need replaced. I don't think they are too expensive.  I found that out after I passed on one with wobbly front wheels.

There are many parts suppliers for Yanmar around the country.

Those paddle tires might take some getting used to, but I think you will like them. Remember the Japanese used these to run a tiller in flooded rice paddys. So a little Arkansas mud should be no problem at all.

Look forward to hearing more about this project!! I love the Diesels and am learning myself.

Thats good news----Maybe it can handle the Arkansas gumbo (clay that turns to silly putty with rain) 

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Has the fuel filter been changed lately? That's a cool looking tractor and I hope you get it running good before long!

• Toolpartzman and boyscout862 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar diesel