• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Its an opportunity for you to stockpile wood for the next several years. I prefer cutting in cold weather, no bugs. I burn less than 3 cords a year. I plan to take down all the trees near the house and the power lines this year. That should give me a couple of years. Good Luck, Rick

What does your town do with the wood? When I was a town engineer in the 80s one of my Foremen used to cut the wood to stove lengths and deliver a truck load to each of the elderly that needed it. I thought that it was a great idea. Then we got young politicians and more lawyers and had to stop. I still think that the towns should sell the wood. Big stuff for lumber.

Edited by boyscout862, March 08, 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#17 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Its an opportunity for you to stockpile wood for the next several years. I prefer cutting in cold weather, no bugs. I burn less than 3 cords a year. I plan to take down all the trees near the house and the power lines this year. That should give me a couple of years. Good Luck, Rick

What does your town do with the wood? When I was a town engineer in the 80s one of my Foremen used to cut the wood to stove lengths and deliver a truck load to each of the elderly that needed it. I thought that it was a great idea. Then we got young politicians and more lawyers and had to stop. I still think that the towns should sell the wood. Big stuff for lumber.

Good question, my guess is town workers won't be buying any wood for a while :D :thumbs:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yeah, so much for burning brush this weekend.  I was down to about 6-8" of snow pack and I was going to have a nice fire.  Now we have more snow pack than anytime this season.  My Christmas Tractor is just about buried and the pile in the center of our circle is taller than me.

0308031622_zps9b43671a.jpg

The house still looks good covered in snow though.

0308031623_zps5aaba1ae.jpg

• boyscout862 and oldtimer have said thanks

#19 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:55 PM

We burn in the garden plot. Might not be able to this year. Sould be starting peas and other Spring stuff soon.  I may have to run the Husqy and snowblower over  the garden  NOT  lol 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Actually did get snow again here.  5+" clumpy and wet and just right for a plow.  2 pine limbs down, one on the house with no damage so all in all a decent couple hours on the tractor.  I have to get all my brush and storm damage stuff burned by the 16th because NYS sez "no burning" between then and May 14th (even during or after a 2" rainfall). 

#21 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,756 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:19 PM

I ended up with about 8" of heavy wet snow. I spent an hour pushing enough to be able to get out. I'll finish tomorrow when its 47 degrees and sunny.

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 04:24 PM

Ohhhh... oh my....  The realization just hit me that this... might be.... the very last snow of the season...!  Whaaa... whaaaaaaaaaaa (sniff).:D

#23 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 08:47 PM

Ohhhh... oh my....  The realization just hit me that this... might be.... the very last snow of the season...!  Whaaa... whaaaaaaaaaaa (sniff). :D

Nah, you'll get the mandatory 6 or 8 inches the night/morning before a certain upcoming delivery, thus delaying said delivery.

#24 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Nah, you'll get the mandatory 6 or 8 inches the night/morning before a certain upcoming delivery, thus delaying said delivery.

Oh man you're right, I never gave that a thought!  Just as sure as the new dishwasher came with a fork lift fork hole clean through it!:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snow, seat time