• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:15 PM

It is greed.  The guys professionally parting tractors are avoiding the liability of selling a complete machine.

Maybe greed for some, but most of these guys are simply scraping by a living just like you & I.  And as far as the liability of a whole machine....that's not their fault but the buyers.  Many of these guys have been talked into selling a tractor whole, and is an "as-is" deal, only to be hounded afterwards because something went wrong and they want their money back, or it to be fixed for free.  So many people just don't get the "as-is where is" with used stuff.  It is way too much headache for them to sell complete tractors, and they should not be blamed for that.

How many of you have sold a car or similar & the buyer come back complaining of this & that, when they accepted the car or whatever "as-is"?

• Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#32 cumminsmannow OFFLINE  

cumminsmannow
  • Member No: 11834
  • 100 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am stuck in the middle. I appreciate the rare ones and would rather take a couple of bad ones to build a good one. But i also see the point of the guys who part a good tractor out who are trying to make some cash to pay for their own hobbies too.
It does blow me away that i cant buy a complete running kubota 3cyl that came out of a 782d but i can buy almost every part i need to build one from one guy on epay.
But like was stated eatlier... Maybe it was listed many times over with no interest so he tore it down and will sell off 75% of it for the same price as he wanted for the whole thing.

#33 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Olcowhand that is what I meant. I've seen the whole spectrum of people complaining about problems with things they bought "as is".  44 years ago I was working in a small engine shop that sold a minibike. The man cmae back and screamed at my boss because it stopped working after only an hour. I found that the fool had put kerosene in the gas tank. He sent his wife to pick it up. I've also seen people buy something that they just want to use for a while and then sabotague it to return it. The liability problem is the greed of customers and lawyers.

How did you edit my words?

• tractorgarden said thank you

#34 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Im sorry that i offended you. I didnt mean to be (way out of line). I apologize if statments have made you mad. But thats the way i feel. I guess everybody can have there own opinon. And thats mine. I just dont see it that way. But it sure did get some interesting responce. Thanks everybody.

Bob, you know that many of us respect what you do and appreciate the used parts when we need them.  You also go way beyond just selling parts, as you give much needed advice to those you sell parts to, and also to many who have never even bought a single nut & bolt from you.  I think some that has been said above is way out of line.  

• KennyP, tractorgarden and boyscout862 have said thanks

#35 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,728 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 06:44 PM

I make my living parting out antique tractors (full size AG tractors not garden), right now i have a Farmall H, runs and drives perfect, sheet metal is perfect, has fenders (rare), spoked rear wheels (rare), paper belt pulley in perfect condition, good paint and all of the tires are in great condition. I have been advertising this tractor complete for $1600 for weeks now and i haven't gotten one call about it yet! but if i part it out i could then get $2200 easy. Yes it does seem like a shame to part out a good decent running tractor but everyone wants a tractor fix up them selves not one that is already fixed up.

by the way if any one wants to buy a farmall H let me know LOL :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, tractorgarden and 1 other said thanks

#36 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:20 PM

I hate to see it butit provides a service keeping multiple other tractors running. Better that tractor than one of my babies.

#37 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Explain how it is greedy to part out a complete running Case 444 for $600 when the best offer I got for it complete was $400. Why shouldn't I call people that won't pay $600 for it complete, CHEAP. If it is so bad to part out a complete tractor you guys should put up adds that you will buy all tractors before they are parted out, for the higher parted out price. That doesn't make sense does it. Just like it doesn't make sense to take less for something just to make some people on the internet happy. This is America, people here have the right to chose what they do with the tractor they own. Sent from my S3

#38 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:52 PM

OK, it's obvious to me that this is getting a little out of hand. The name calling, the finger pointing, etc... It's time to "agree to disagree"

I think we all can agree that we want to sell high and buy low. It's human nature.

If there were a great place to buy just the junk ones to part out and they were easy to find and cheap, I am sure that would be the preference and the runner that has been garage kept could be kept whole... Unfortunately that's not reality.

No one wants to rip a good looker apart, but the parts are where they are and there is a market.

In the interest of keeping the peace, I am locking the thread down before someone gets bruised feelings if it hasn't happened already.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:04 PM

Just for the record, I have not edited anything in this entire thread....but I should have.  

• MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks