38 replies to this topic

#16 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Most people dont scrap running tractors. I can see parting out incomplete tractors that are to far to be restored. But not running or complete tractors.

Still better than scrapping them for $50

• boyscout862 said thank you

#17 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I had to fight off scrappers for a LGT100 on LSfreecycle and the only thing it needed was a battery and a carb clean.

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:45 PM

It is greed. The funny thing to me is that so often very greedy people are very short sighted. They may get more money from the parts but they will spend more time and comissions to epay. The guys professionally parting tractors are avoiding the liability of selling a complete machine.

A good condition tractor cleanned, tuned, and sold on CL can actually give a better return.

I fix the good ones and strip the ones that can't be fixed.

#19 A.C.T. ONLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:52 AM

I agree greed is the motivation. However parting out is much better than scraping it. Kind of like a organ donor, a part can give new life to a dead GT.

untitled greed.png

#20 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:51 AM

If someone didn't sell the parts from that "nice old tractor" YOU would not have the abililty to purchase that said nice part for YOUR

tractor . So it's a double edged sword , what would you rather see: that nice tractor rotting in a field somewhere un touchable because "its rare and I won't sell it" or get that elucive part you've been missing for a reasonble $$ ??  I't a nessesary evil that we our selves drive . :wallbanging:  :(  :poke: 

• NUTNDUN, tractorgarden, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#21 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Explain GREED to me.

#22 superaben ONLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:01 AM

If someone didn't sell the parts from that "nice old tractor" YOU would not have the abililty to purchase that said nice part for YOUR

tractor . So it's a double edged sword , what would you rather see: that nice tractor rotting in a field somewhere un touchable because "its rare and I won't sell it" or get that elucive part you've been missing for a reasonble $$ ??  I't a nessesary evil that we our selves drive . :wallbanging:  :(  :poke: 

Keith's got a good point.  I know for one that as much as it makes me ticked seeing a tractor listed in pieces on ebay, and knowing it was running, I would still buy the parts I need from it.  I hate to do it, but I'd rather see my tractor running perfect. 

Once its gone into three million pieces scattered from here to kingdom come, it'll be a lot more fun to buy the piece I need to get my tractor going than to try and buy up everything and rebuild it!

Another point, whats the difference between parting out a tractor versus buying a second model and cannibalizing it for parts, and later selling what you don't want to your GTTalk buddies?

Ben W.

• tractorgarden, skyrydr2, Amigatec and 1 other said thanks

#23 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'd much rather see tractors parted than scrapped. Not real happy to see a running tractor parted, but we can't save them all!

• chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks

#24 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Often the part or parts you need for a resto or just to keep something running is the same thing that is bad on a parts tractor.

So until someone makes resto parts out the wazoo, like muscle cars parts, your going to have to get whats needed from better quality doners which means a running tractor.

Gt talk is promoting a hobby, but it's also feeding a beast, Take notice; when someone posts that they need this or that for a tractor, it doesn't go long before it shows up on ebay

#25 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:24 PM

I hate to see it too but if one good running tractor is parted out and gets 10 other partially complete tractors going again then it is worth it to me.

• Texas Deere and Horse, tractorgarden, skyrydr2 and 1 other said thanks

#26 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well, It takes a subject like this to bring me out of my GTtalk fast. I would not say that it is greed,that people are parting good complete machines. You,I and everyone here has the opportunity to buy the complete machine. I have a lot of friends in the salvage

business. Like me and you they need to support their family,whether or not it is their primary income or not ,that is their way to put food on the table. For the most part the people who part tractors,muscle cars,trucks etc. do not part the historically important models, very early serial# etc. They will offer them complete. The average good complete tractor offers parts to save the masses.  

Would you rather buy a gear with stripped teeth to repair your tractor that is out of service for a stripped gear?

Wahoo 1000 posts someone buy me a beer! :beer: :dancingbanana:  Shawn

• olcowhand, MH81, bhts and 6 others have said thanks

#27 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Well i suppose if someone had a untouched tractor i probably wouldnt part it out. And genrally if im gona buy somthing to restore its gona be complete. Thats the whole thing im getting at! Why part out complete tractors?

#28 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wow I never knew myself and others were hated so much because i part out a tractor running or not.

Somthing i have noticed more and more is people parting out whole tractors. Both garden tractors and big tractors. They take apart a complete running driving tractor, just to make a few more dollars! Seriously i mean if they were incomplete i could see it. I mean these people will even take the motor clear apart to try and make more.   I just dont understand that.  Seems like greed to me but i could be wrong. Whats your opinion? Thanks.

Well if feeding my family and giving them as good a life that i can and enjoy doing it then yes i am VERY greedy. Now as for parting out a running tractor i have on severl times tried to sell a nice complete tractor but after months sitting here what should i do. It was bought and fixed to sell so should it just set here for ever or should i part it out and give a few guys a chance to get thiers going? And yes i will part a engine out as 99.9% of the people out there needs parts to fix thiers and hide from the cost to ship a complete motor because they only need a certian part for thiers. 

Now if you want to bring cash and a big trailer i will sell them all to you.

Yeah what he said ^.     I think they have no respect for vintage tractors or anything else.  Makes me wanna kick thier ^$$

I am sorry that you think i have no respect for anything and you are welcome to come here and try that last part of your post. But i will tell you i have alot of respect for the tractors out there that is why i do this. I collect some myself because i enjoy them.

Well said thank you

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#29 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 03:58 PM

I have parted a few myself over the years. I hate to see a good tractor get parted, but I have also bought parts from nice tractor that were being worked right before they were parted. It is a necessary thing to keep all of our favorite tractors running so we can enjoy them. I would rather guys like Bob, Rick, Joe and the other salvage parts guys make a descent living providing us with a good used or new part at a good price. I hate to see them heading down the road to the scrap yard, I have even chased them down to save one or two.

It's part of our hobby and I am glad to have these resources available to us.

THANKS Guys for all you do. :thumbs:

• bhts, KennyP, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#30 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 04:07 PM

Bob, you know that many of us respect what you do and appreciate the used parts when we need them.  You also go way beyond just selling parts, as you give much needed advice to those you sell parts to, and also to many who have never even bought a single nut & bolt from you.  I think some that has been said above is way out of line.  

• bhts, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks