38 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Somthing i have noticed more and more is people parting out whole tractors. Both garden tractors and big tractors. They take apart a complete running driving tractor, just to make a few more dollars! Seriously i mean if they were incomplete i could see it. I mean these people will even take the motor clear apart to try and make more.   I just dont understand that.  Seems like greed to me but i could be wrong. Whats your opinion? Thanks.

• boyscout862, Jack and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Shhhh! Bob is gonna hear you. Supply and demand. Guys restoring old GTs are looking for parts. If nobody bought them, no one would be selling them.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Yes, very much! I have wanted to buy MM's at shows, didn't have enough money then, but fella says he will take home and Part it out if not sold at show. MINE was the one to part out, halfmissing and worn, his was better than mine! AND, now I buy a lot of stuff from Joe's Outdoor Power and he always shows the nice looking rig in his postings at bottom and it is sad to see it break up. They say none more made, so some have to be used for parts now, yet lots are better shape than the junkers I'm Really working on at time. BUT, if YOU don't buy the parts, someone else will. There is always a Want to fulfill out there. I DO hate when they tear everylast thing down to the bolts pile even and never sell an assembly when you need the whole group, not just the case or one shaft or spring in it or such. I always try to sell a complete system or group of parts at shows when I go. Would think you end up with a lot of unwanted, unusable stuff that way that must end up in scrap pile???
  • boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bob IN ONLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:00 PM

Thats what im saying. Do you really make more money in the end? Half the stuff isnt worth anything after you get it torn that far apart!

Yes, very much! I have wanted to buy MM's at shows, didn't have enough money then, but fella says he will take home and Part it out if not sold at show. MINE was the one to part out, halfmissing and worn, his was better than mine! AND, now I buy a lot of stuff from Joe's Outdoor Power and he always shows the nice looking rig in his postings at bottom and it is sad to see it break up. They say none more made, so some have to be used for parts now, yet lots are better shape than the junkers I'm Really working on at time. BUT, if YOU don't buy the parts, someone else will. There is always a Want to fulfill out there. I DO hate when they tear everylast thing down to the bolts pile even and never sell an assembly when you need the whole group, not just the case or one shaft or spring in it or such. I always try to sell a complete system or group of parts at shows when I go. Would think you end up with a lot of unwanted, unusable stuff that way that must end up in scrap pile???

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:07 PM

The guys on here usually comment on CL adds saying the power steering, or the 3point, or the wheel weights, or whatever is worth more than the asking price. Maybe that is driving the junkyard/ ebay thing?

• crittersf1 said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:15 PM

It is a tough call sometimes. There are two tractor salvage yards within 12 miles of me.
One had a Ford 1710 with a rebuilt motor in it he was asking $3200 for. I passed because all the wheels were rotted out from useing fluid. I passed on it because it would cost so much for tires and rims. It was over a year ago I first looked at it and it is still sitting there. My guess is he will part it out when he sells the motor for most of his asking price and everything after that will be gravy.

#7 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I am not trolling trying to PO anyone, I am just stating that if there were no buyers, there would be no sellers.

The junkers are buying from the same ads you see on CL. Some of the bigger ones have people coming to them because they know they buy GTs.

Edited by rat88, March 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#8 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,200 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Have the stuff listed is not worth half the price.

#9 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:19 PM

Somthing i have noticed more and more is people parting out whole tractors. Both garden tractors and big tractors. They take apart a complete running driving tractor, just to make a few more dollars! Seriously i mean if they were incomplete i could see it. I mean these people will even take the motor clear apart to try and make more.   I just dont understand that.  Seems like greed to me but i could be wrong. Whats your opinion? Thanks.

Yeah what he said ^.     I think they have no respect for vintage tractors or anything else.  Makes me wanna kick thier ^$$

Edited by Jack, March 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Bob IN have said thanks

#10 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Found out the same thing with Allis Chalmers WCs. Was at a show where one was for sale for a good price. I wasn't interested but my son was. Couldn't strike a deal so we left it. Same tractor showed up on Ebay in pieces and he got more for the wheels and tires (4) than he paid for the whole thing. It ran well. Oh well parts are needed also. JM2CW.

#11 EconChuck ONLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:24 PM

We may not like it but the individual parts are worth more than the complete item. Hence people buying "good running tractors"and selling them as pieces. If they are making money and making a living, providing jobs and being productive members of society I say more power to them.
Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, March 07, 2013 - 09:26 PM.

• bhts, tractorgarden, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I hear you.  I saw this guy on eBay strip a running, restored Farmall ag tractor and sell it piece by piece.   New paint and everything.  It was gross villainy. 

However, I have parted out a few machines, but only when they are beyond repair.  I never part out anything that can be rebuilt!

Ben W.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Bob IN have said thanks

#13 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:29 PM

I agree in a way. But why are parts of of a none running tractor any diffrent. If your going to take it that far apart you would still know what shape the parts are in, and wouldnt you make more money buying and parting a none running tractor. Since genrally none running tractors are cheaper? Just a question.

We may not like it but the individual parts are worth more than the complete item. Hence people buying "good running tractors"and selling them as pieces. If they are making money and making a living, providing jobs and being productive members of society I say more power to them.
Chuck

#14 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:32 PM

I think that is very true. People just dont respect vintage tractors for what they are. All they see is $$$$$$$$$$$$. Its nothing but greed. 

Yeah what he said ^.     I think they have no respect for vintage tractors or anything else.  Makes me wanna kick thier ^$$

#15 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 07, 2013 - 09:32 PM

Still better than scrapping them for $50

• chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks