• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:07 PM

I see your point Ben. I didn't have too much trouble switching to MAC but you do have to figure some things out as you go. My wife still complains about not being able to do things the same way on the MAC as she had learned on a PC.

TRS 80 that brings back memories. AKA the TRASH 80. Other memorable early PC's - Commodore VIC 20,  Commodore 64, There was a Commodore desktop but I can't quite remember the name, PET maybe? The TI 99  And  mini computers in the work environment like the DEC PDP8 and 11, HP 1000 and the Data General Nova 2. we have come a long way from those days!

• superaben said thank you

#17 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 12:24 PM

To get your CD out there is a small hole, usually by the eject button or in the middle front of the drive.  Take a paperclip and straighten it out and poke it in the hole.  You will feel a little resistance, push a little harder and your drive will open up and you can retrieve your CD.  Don't pay someone to do it.  

Apple is not bad and is a heck of alot better than Windows but it is still proprietary hardware and software.  I'll stay with open source where I do have choice and freedom. 

• Amigatec said thank you

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 02:13 PM

To get your CD out there is a small hole, usually by the eject button or in the middle front of the drive.  Take a paperclip and straighten it out and poke it in the hole.  You will feel a little resistance, push a little harder and your drive will open up and you can retrieve your CD.  Don't pay someone to do it.  

Apple is not bad and is a heck of alot better than Windows but it is still proprietary hardware and software.  I'll stay with open source where I do have choice and freedom. 

Mac doesn't have an eject button and there's no hole either.

I'll have to figure it out.

#19 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I see your point Ben. I didn't have too much trouble switching to MAC but you do have to figure some things out as you go. My wife still complains about not being able to do things the same way on the MAC as she had learned on a PC.

TRS 80 that brings back memories. AKA the TRASH 80. Other memorable early PC's - Commodore VIC 20,  Commodore 64, There was a Commodore desktop but I can't quite remember the name, PET maybe? The TI 99  And  mini computers in the work environment like the DEC PDP8 and 11, HP 1000 and the Data General Nova 2. we have come a long way from those days!

Yes PET was the name, Personal Electronic Transactor. I had a couple of those as well.

#20 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 02:26 PM

Well I'm sitting here looking at a new Mac Mini and a new iPad 4.

I just new toys!!!!!

#21 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Brian, I'm just stuck in my ways.  I'm dreading the day when my Windows XP dies.  At that point its a toss up: the new Windows isn't much different than a Mac, and my programs I'm using now will be unusable then.

Ben W.

#22 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:00 AM

You Mac people. 

Do I have anything against Apple?  Nope.  Why do I say what I say, then? 

Because I'm too blooming ignorant to use anything but what I'm used to.  Somebody dragged me kicking and screaming onto Windows XP from 95.  I'm using Office 2003, only after my Corel WordPerfect went down.

I can't try a Mac just because I...I... would have to relearn everything.  I said it.  I'm afraid!

I say what I say because I am stuck in the time period of my tractors: 1950's. 

Ben W.

I'm the guy down the street that everyone calls when they  buy a new computer and don't want to set it up themselves.

I've been introduced to the New and IMPROVED Windows 8... It's even less friendly than the old blinking cursors that was on the computers 20 years ago. I spent about 2 hours with tech support trying to setup a mail account still not happening. Apparently you setup a cloud account using another email account so that you can use the windows mail account.. I can't make stuff like this up !!

If you get a chance to go to a big box store stop  by the computer section and try to get a Win8 machine to do anything.

The unfortunate thing is that it comes installed on all the new machines.

I have to say something positive about Win 8 though it boots up Fast and is quick when it is running. I assume that the version for phones and touch screens is somewhat friendlier.

Learning curve will be high because it is actually 2 separate interfaces in one with no indication of how to navigate. I can't imagine this going over very well in an office environment.  And yes switching to a Mac would be easier than switching to Win8 on a desktop.

Well enough of my rant and off my soap box for now.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and superaben have said thanks

#23 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Brian, I'm just stuck in my ways.  I'm dreading the day when my Windows XP dies.  At that point its a toss up: the new Windows isn't much different than a Mac, and my programs I'm using now will be unusable then.

Ben W.

Ben when the time comes, you can always switch over to Linux and install Zorn.  It has the ability to change the desktop interface to make it look like different OS's and XP is one of them.  Depending on what programs your are currently  using  they may be able to be ported over or Linux may have an equivalent app.  

Learning curve will be high because it is actually 2 separate interfaces in one with no indication of how to navigate. I can't imagine this going over very well in an office environment.  And yes switching to a Mac would be easier than switching to Win8 on a desktop.

Arti, that is a good question.  Since retiring I haven't stayed up with what has been going on in the corporate world.  Some of your issues may be this secure boot they have started.  I'm not real familiar with how it works but I do know you can't install anything without a certified Key and guess who issues the Key?  :mad2:

#24 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'm the guy down the street that everyone calls when they  buy a new computer and don't want to set it up themselves.

Arti, glad to hear you can set those things up.  I'll give you a call when I'm ready to upgrade.  If they only had a carburetor, I'd be able to figure them out.

I can't stand Windows 8.  At that point, its Windows no longer.  I'd say its different enough to warrant buying a Mac!

Ben when the time comes, you can always switch over to Linux and install Zorn.  It has the ability to change the desktop interface to make it look like different OS's and XP is one of them.  Depending on what programs your are currently  using  they may be able to be ported over or Linux may have an equivalent app. 

Bill, I think I might be in the Linux world, then.  Sadly, the programs I am very adept with (and that's unusual!) are proprietary Windows.  Office in particular.  My business runs off an Access database.

Ben W.

#25 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Ben, You can run an Access db off of LibreOffice or Openoffice and you can set it up to save as an office doc by default.  Plus it will save you $$$ on license fees.  If you absolutely need Office you can install it through Wine.  You would also lose the Windows license fee's as well.

#26 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 05:31 AM

Well I have just about everything ready now. Why can't anything be easy??

I got the MM home and found out it was a 2011 model but brand new. I could have have a bought a 2012 model for the same money. The 2012 model has USB3 ports instead of USB2 ports, on well I'll just live with it.

I had problems from the very beginning, I was going to use my debit card to pay for it, and it exceeded my daily limit, so I had to call the bank to get my DL increased. Got home and was planning to use a HDTV I already had, but the TV didn't have enough resolution for the MM so it wouldn't sync. Back to town to buy a Monitor.

Sat down to transfer my data from the Backup drive, and that's when I found my original problem. I have a backup drive and an extra drive to store things on. The HD in my iMac was small so I had bought a 1TB drive to use for extra storage, well I didn't have a backup of the extra drive so about 3 weeks ago I bought a 3TB drive to use for a backup, Mac calls the Backup drive the Time Machine, so I used the TM to backup everything on the iMac and had a recent copy of everything. When I went to transfer my data to the MM that's when I found out my 1TB drive had crashed, and that was what keeping my iMac from booting. After I unhooked the 1TB drive the MM booted just fine. I still have a 500GB drive, and between that and the HD in the MM I had enough space to store everything.

It took some time to transfer the data, Apple makes it easy, they have a Migration Utility to do all the work for you. After that since I had an older model I had to DL all the updates, again Apple makes that easy as well. My iMac was 2 versions down on the OS so some of my programs had to updated as well. I have that done.

Now I am downloading the newest OS Mountain Lion for it. And I'll be going to town later to buy a Superdrive for it. Some of the new Macs don't come with a DVD drive so you have to buy an external for it. Later I will be buying a Firewire 800 Drive for it.

This new MM is so much faster than my old iMac, I really like it so far.

• KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 06:41 AM

Sorry to hear of all the issues, Pat. One of these days when I have time, I want to set up my notebook with the Linux. But, I'll be contacting HDWildBill before I do.

#28 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Well I'm finally done downloading and updating. And I have the iPad 4 setup and ready for use.

I was able to get the iMac to boot finally, and have reinstalled Snow Leopard with a clean install. Runs good now. I plan to use it to run the cameras in the house. 

#29 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:17 AM

What did you do with the old iMac? - oops I missed the earlier post

Edited by Trav1s, March 18, 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#30 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Well I'm finally done downloading and updating. And I have the iPad 4 setup and ready for use.

I was able to get the iMac to boot finally, and have reinstalled Snow Leopard with a clean install. Runs good now. I plan to use it to run the cameras in the house. 

What did you do with the old iMac?

He's running a security system off it.

• Trav1s said thank you