• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 02, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info, I heavily greased the chain when I reassembled it today and will finish it off  by pumping the cavity full fomorrow. I think the bearings were origional and been in there a long time but I don't think the tiller saw a lot of use as there was almost no wear on the sprockets.

#17 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 04, 2013 - 08:39 PM

I wouldn't pump it all the way full.   Too much grease will get HOT in an enclosed space like that.  I've seen it cause overheating in bearings, but those were running pretty fast.   You might get by with it, but I'd feel safer if it was maybe 1/4 full.    The stuff is tenacious about sticking to the chain, so don't worry too much about it staying lubed.   I think that the most important thing is to seal up the cover really well to keep the dirt out.   Dirt will kill a chain faster than anything.

My sprockets were in good shape, too.   I checked and they are hardened, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it.  Other people tell me that wear on the tines is the best indicator of how much use it's had.

Edited by machinist, April 04, 2013 - 08:47 PM.