• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,663 Thanks
  • 28,314 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Glad to hear it wasn't more serious. I mean, the tractor could've been damaged... :poke:

Good to hear you're ok.
  • larryd and machinist have said thanks

#17 machinist OFFLINE  

• Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:55 PM

:yeah_that:    Yeah, it seemd like I was thinking 200 MPH, trying to get my hand open to keep from breaking fingers, get my head outa the way, and being amazed that it didn't break my arm.   Meanwhile, being thankful that the rear blade was ALREADY OFF THE TRACTOR!    I'd have hated getting run over by that thing! 

Got a sore pectoral muscle and one knuckle didn't like it much, but that's about it. 

The tractor came nearer being damaged by my temper than by having the wreck...... :shoot2:

Heck, I'm lucky to have lived this long, what with motorbikes, 90 MPH rollover in a hot rod car, go-karts, and such before I was 18 years old, then some other disasters since, like falling off the barn roof (safety rope, but it stretched too far!), and your everyday tornadoes, fighting with horses and cattle, and forest fires.   If I'd have known I'd live this long, I woulda taken better care of myself!

Bottom line is, I should NOT be pushing my luck!

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 08:06 PM.

• MH81, boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

• Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Your last few words where the most important ones-don't push your luck. Your not as young as you once where but your mind doesn't want to accept that. You are one lucky man and be thankful you weren't  hurt worse. We all are glad you injuries weren't to serious.

• olcowhand and machinist have said thanks

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,450 Thanks
  • 7,615 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:49 PM

Sounds like it is a good time to stop and have a beer or 12. Nothing like being a little sick or injured to completely throw you off your game, but you not realize how bad you are until something goes wrong.

• machinist said thank you

#20 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thankfully you aren't hurt any worse. I lost a friend last year to one of those freak matter of seconds issues with a tractor. He'd been around them and large trucks all his life. He was 52. It was his son's graduation weekend and his daughters first prom nite. The family and community took it hard. Thinking about him working with a bad head cold and what happened has kept me off a tractor several times this last year when I didn't feel up to par.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#21 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 6,360 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:37 PM

OK, back up to the Dit Da Jow linament!!   Where or how does one get that stuff?   I've been using lots of diff rubs for aches and pains in joints and nothing is very good. Always thought pain needed to be taken care of by drugs from inside and that outer rub stuff is just a joke and makes people buy it with the promises. Has hot/cld feeling and we think it works??!!   SO, is the stuff any diff?  Wonder if a google search would bring up, or is it so special need to look thru martial arts supply places?  Is there such places?  My old man used Heet linament, was stinky and in brown bottle with dauber. Can't find it anymore in stores. Maybe it was "dangerous" they decided?  Did find Heet on a search, a  little diff type, but was $50 to $60 dollars a bottle, Yike!  Not sure if same stuff or not!

#22 machinist OFFLINE  

• 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Literally translated means "Hit-Fall-Wine".   Ancient Chinese medicine.  Not intended for arthitic joints, but for soft tissue damage, AFAIK.  I have a badly damaged rotator cuff that it goes a long way to keep it functioning.  EXTERNAL USE ONLY! 

Here's one of MANY sources:  http://www.immortalm...CFZE-Mgod-HMAOQ

More info:  http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dit_da_jow

Arnica and witch hazel are both anti inflammatory agents, per WIkipedia, and are used in some Jow reicpes in the US.  .   Arnica has been used for centuries for deep muscle injuries.  (NOT to be taken internally = poison!)   There are literally hundreds of recipes and sources.   A reputable martial arts supplier would probably be my choice.  

My son in law used to be a pro wrestler (yeah, it's fake, and he did a documentary video to that effect),  but they do get injured in the performance.   He is a licensed chiropractor and nutritionist by trade.  He sent me some traditional Chinese herbs in a brown paper bag and told me to put it in a gallon of cheap vodka.   Let it set for at least a month, then dip out only a small amount and refill the jar with vodka.  The older it gets, the better for this variety, since the herbs keep dissolving more into the alcohol.   The commercial Jow products are alcohol extracts of who-knows-what, and have no herbal residue in the bottle, so age is immaterial.   

I apply it like rubbing alcohol and rub it in extensively.   My son in law says the rubbing is as important as the Jow, to disperse blood from bruised areas.   I have used it on discolored bruises and watched the discoloration lighten as I rubbed!   yeah, it hurts some to rub that hard, so don't over do that.   JMHO.   I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on the internet!   So this is not medical advice and it is worth no more than what you paid for it....

Google Dit Da Jow and learn more than you ever wanted to know about it.

A good strong Chondroitin Glucosamine is often reccomended for joint problems.   I hate to say what I use for that, but it comes from the vet section at Tractor Supply.  Definitely non-habit forming, since it tastes like it came out of a horse track in the barnyard. 

Edit to add:   Best I remember about HEET, it was a counter-irritant that worked by bringing extra blood supply to the area.   Dit Da Jow has that tendency, at least the "hot" Jows, is what I've read.

But don't pay much attention to what I say, cuz I'm the guy that ran hisself over with the tractor, right?

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 10:17 PM.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#23 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,294 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Yep, you were lucky, both of my Cases have tried to buck me off more than once, mostly my fault for trying to do more than a small tractor should do, but they don't know any better :D

• marlboro180 said thank you

#24 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 561 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 07:04 PM

For your foot rest you can get some roofing starter strip.Cut it to size . Self sticking has grit on it last depends on how much you like to move your feet around.But with a roll you can change them quit few times.Has pretty good adhesion. 

#25 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,215 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 07:07 PM

I get non slip self stick material at skate board shops.  They cut it to my length off a bulk roll.  I think it's around 6 to 7" wide.

• gopher said thank you

#26 machinist OFFLINE  

• 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:09 PM

:thumbs:   I'll be doing that!   I have barked my shins a time or two slipping off the footrest when climbing aboard.    They don't call me "Grace" for nuthin'!    Seriously, if awkwardness were a virtue, I'd be a saint...  :wallbanging: