• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • Member No: 29663
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:12 PM

I tried out the rear blade on the 448 3 point hitch today and it was a disaster of no small proportions.

The frame measures 24 3/4" over the lift arm pins--at the shoulder. So, the lift arms almost rub the rear tires. It went together, so I thought, whatever, let's try it. It dug in on one side, I overreacted and hit the lift. Still moving forward in low, lift arm caught the R1 lugs and up it came. The 3 pt. frame hit the PTO valve and dead headed the pump, killing the engine. That was a good thing, because it prevented any real damage. I shut the key off and got things untangled.

I figured maybe I could fix this with the sway chains, and proceeded to bolt them to the center tow hitch, knowing that would limit how high I could lift the thing. I resolved to be careful for the duration of my test run and continued, proceeding to dig gouges and ditches in the gravel driveway, making an unholy mess of things. Piles of gravel and slushy snow here, there, and everywhere, between the gouges. So, I crept along, getting a better feel for this thing.

I tried it in float, and before going 3 feet forward, it dug halfway to China, leaving me a huge pile of gravel with a hole behind it. Okay. That didn't work. Got going again and knocked down some of that pile, only to learn that I was on a bit of a side slope and the blade was level. I dug another gouge on the uphill side. Not liking this process, I resolved to put it away and try it some warm day when I have fully recovered from the flu.

Drove toward the garage and stopped, unhooked the blade after much ado, and drove off slowly toward the garage door. I had been feeling something ratchet-like in the steering, but had not figured that out yet. That turned out to be the steering sector gear having come loose, allowing the sector gear to fall down almost out of engagement with the pinion. My first indication of this was when the front wheels, hit a rough place as I started a turn. The front wheels, disengaged from the steering now, suddenly turned to the stop in one direction, throwing me off the tractor. My shoes were wet and the footrest is newly painted and SLICK.

Not wanting a broken leg, I dived forward to get my leg away from the rear tires. I made it, but lande on my side with one arm under the oncoming rear wheel. It ran over me, one arm and one side of my chest being under the rear wheel. I kept my head out of the way, but barely. The tractor proceeded on, just above idle until it hit the retaining wall by the garage, where the Ag tires dug some impressive holes before I got up and got it shut down.

I am more or less okay. Got some sore ribs, but nothing broken. A heavy winter coat kept me from getting skinned up too badly.

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 06:18 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#2 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I have several thoughts about what I should do to prevent any recurrence like this. First and foremost, before I turn a key in either tractor again, they will both have added sheet metal between the rear fenders and footrests. That would have prevented my foot from landing too near the wheel. Those big R1 lugs have scared me for a while now, and it is time to fix that.

Next, I'll bite the bullet and do what someone said about the sway problem. Extend the lift arm pivot rod on both ends to allow for adding a sway bar there. It will take some development to get them to allow opening enough for attaching an implement, but worth doing, IMHO.

The rear blade will have to have the frame cut down narrower so the lift arms are not out next to the tires. It will probably be relegated to dirt work, and I'll continue to use the snow plow to back-drag the gravel driveway.

I LOVE MY 446 SLEEVE HITCH! None of the above problems with it, and it seems to be about bulletproof, so far. I don't know why peple are so enthralled with 3 points. My experience has always been less than stellar with them, whether it was cat. 0, cat. 1, or cat. 2. They are always a major pain to hook stuff up, and the bigger the tractor, the worse that is. This little stuff I can manhandle, so it is less of a problem, but it still has all the above issues.

That steering bolt that came loose had Loctite on it when I took it apart for repairs. That seems like a fine idea to me now.

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 06:18 PM.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Wow, what an experiance you had. I am guessing you will be a bit sore from it. Hopefully better days ahead.

• larryd and machinist have said thanks

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Wow, you've had a bad, and nearly disastrous day!  Sounds like you have a plan to prevent this happening again.  

#5 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:23 PM

It WAS a bad day. :( Hope tomorrow is better!

I'm 66 years old and have been driving tractors since I was 10. Never fell off a tractor before. There is a first time for everything, so BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!
  • larryd said thank you

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:30 PM

I've never fell off a moving tractor, but snagged clothing on tractors & payloaders before when getting off, and I don't bounce like I used to!  Used to I would laugh it off..... not now!  :(

• boyscout862, larryd and machinist have said thanks

#7 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 565 Thanks
  • 628 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:31 PM

Glad  to hear your all right.That is the only thing I do't like a bought case.If you don't hit the brake to through it in neutral the brutes just keep going. 

• boyscout862, larryd and machinist have said thanks

#8 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Well, most tractors will keep going if you fall off, even the ones with a kill switch on the seat can go quite a distance.

Safety is the reason I spent $$ on a good weed eater last year, to avoid mowing some really steep places. Our lot is steep enough to be dangerous.

Yes about the soreness. Tonight I'll get out the Dit Da Jow (martial arts liniment) and slather it on and rub it in deep. That takes care of a lot of stuff for me.

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 06:37 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. I hope that you heal fast. good Luck, Rick

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Well, most tractors will keep going if you fall off, even the ones with a kill switch on the seat can go quite a distance.

Safety is the reason I spent $$ on a good weed eater last year, to avoid mowing some really steep places. Our lot is steep enough to be dangerous.

Yes about the soreness. Tonight I'll get out the Dit Da Jow (martial arts liniment) and slather it on and rub it in deep. That takes care of a lot of stuff for me.

You escaped a real disaster. Seat switches are a pain....A tether switch mounted high on seat back,clipped high on your coat would maybe allow a person to shift there weight.Just ranting,
I hope your soreness leaves soon!
  • larryd, tractorgarden'sbabe and machinist have said thanks

#11 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:17 PM

You shoulda stayed in bed! :beer: :beer:

#12 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Glad you weren't seriously hurt . We all have to be careful even on the safest tractors . Hope tractor wasn't hurt to bad .

larryd

• machinist said thank you

#13 machinist OFFLINE  

machinist
  • 78 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM

The tractor is fine. I think it is nearly indestructible. That's what I liked about it in the first place, being the toughest little tractor I have seen. Yeah, there are a lot of good ones out there and no shame on them, either, but the 2 I have are 33 years old and went right to work for me. But I still have some things to learn about them, too!

Edited by machinist, March 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM.

• larryd said thank you

#14 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Man, what a rough day.  I feel for you and stuff like this can happen to anyone.  A couple of years ago on my 2008 JD I ran under a low fruit tree limb and almost got yanked off (or suffered a broken back from the limb trying to pull me off).  Fortunatley just a concusoion but that was on a modern "safe" tractor.  Yes the limbs are way high now! :hitting_self_roller:

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:45 PM

The weird thing when things like this happens is how fast it happens, but how much can flash through your mind in just a few seconds.  But in other ways, it can seem like slow motion.  Like I said...weird.