• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:32 PM

As it turns out, the fuel pump rebuild kit is not for the K-582 pump. So I just cleaned it up and put it back figuring I'd do it later since I put a shut off valve in the new fuel line.
I looked and could not find a fuel pump rebuild kit for this engine. But I did find new fuel pumps @ 100 or more ?? The K-532 & K-482 are cheaper. What can be the difference ? Arm length maybe ?

I'm pretty sure that I've read that some have done away with the mechanical type pump on the Kohlers. What are my options ? I'll lash a 5 gallon gas can to the hood before I pay 100 bucks for this fuel pump. Lol

It's only a matter of time before I fill this gas tank all the way and forget to shut the inline valve. Then I'll be rite back to a crankcase full of gas.

#47 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ken i have a few of the rebuild kits for the 582 what is the number you need? that also reminds me to i need to rebuild my pump.

#48 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Any chance there is an aftermarket pump available? I'm running one on  one of my K series singles and not had any issues so far. I had a link here somewhere for the electric pump you're looking for if I find it I'll be sure and post it.

#49 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:50 PM

The plastic stens pumps wont fit the 582s. The arm bends the wrong way. It cost me $60 to find that out

Edited by rat88, March 07, 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#50 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Sounds like Bob may have what you're looking for. :thumbs:
If you decide to go with the Aftermarket pump, here is one that has come up before in conversations.
http://mr-gasket.com...pump-42gph.html

As for the shutoff, has anyone ever tried these? http://www.dan-marc....9-afc11112.html
  • IamSherwood, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#51 NJKen ONLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:48 AM

Sounds like Bob may have what you're looking for. :thumbs:
If you decide to go with the Aftermarket pump, here is one that has come up before in conversations.
http://mr-gasket.com...pump-42gph.html

As for the shutoff, has anyone ever tried these? http://www.dan-marc....9-afc11112.html

I pmed Bob

That electric shut off is a great idea, can't say I've ever seen anything like that.

Another option.

Edited by NJKen, March 07, 2013 - 08:50 AM.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#52 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,342 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Really like the electric shut off, no forgeting to do it,I just tore down a HT-20 that had an impulse pump on it, seemed to be working fine if you can't get the right part

#53 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Then and now automotive in Weymouth Massachusetts sells a rebiuld kit for kohler metal body pumps.
They make it themselves. I have never tried it. But that's what I will do if I need one.

Joe

#54 NJKen ONLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Then and now automotive in Weymouth Massachusetts sells a rebiuld kit for kohler metal body pumps.
They make it themselves. I have never tried it. But that's what I will do if I need one.

Joe

Mine is the plastic one, that I just found out from Bob is not rebuildable. Or at least they don't sell a kit to do so.
I'm not sure when it started but it seems that the later years of the K-582 production, they went with a plastic fuel pump. Why ? I guess to save 50 cents in the production cost. Lol

#55 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Mine is the plastic one, that I just found out from Bob is not rebuildable. Or at least they don't sell a kit to do so.
I'm not sure when it started but it seems that the later years of the K-582 production, they went with a plastic fuel pump. Why ? I guess to save 50 cents in the production cost. Lol

Saves them 50 cents...costs you $100....big business at it's best. :wallbanging:

I'd go low pressure electric.  No worry about a bad vac pump diaphragm filling the block, plus when the tractor sits a while, the fuel can evaporate from the carb causing much cranking over to build fuel.  With electric, it fills the carb in a matter of a couple seconds. 

Here's an example, and Facet makes a low pressure model also.

PUMP

• IamSherwood, Bud W, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#56 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 10:16 PM

I found the fuel pump link I was looking for http://www.kirkengin...ctronicFuelPump I've ordered from this guy before he's got some neat stuff and I have been well pleased with the service I received!  :thumbs:

Edited by pigsitter, March 07, 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#57 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:27 AM

I found the fuel pump link I was looking for http://www.kirkengin...ctronicFuelPump I've ordered from this guy before he's got some neat stuff and I have been well pleased with the service I received! :thumbs:

Thanks Brian, I've bought stuff from him before, can't beat the price on them Kohler twin coils that he sells. I've seen used ones go for more then what he sells new ones for.

#58 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,295 Thanks
  • 4,654 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sooo...   Buy another $50 vacuum pump or pony up $30 for a elec pump & shut-off??  I would opt towards the elec!  Are you out using the thing today?  I see it's snowing a lot down your way..  

#59 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Pull the oil stick and check for gas in the oil. I've had an entire cylinder fill to the top with gas from a leaking shut off valve on a zero turn mower. As stated earlier in this thread may be a fuel pump issue.

#60 hatedge ONLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 01:12 PM

As it turns out, the fuel pump rebuild kit is not for the K-582 pump. So I just cleaned it up and put it back figuring I'd do it later since I put a shut off valve in the new fuel line.
I looked and could not find a fuel pump rebuild kit for this engine. But I did find new fuel pumps @ 100 or more ?? The K-532 & K-482 are cheaper. What can be the difference ? Arm length maybe ?

I'm pretty sure that I've read that some have done away with the mechanical type pump on the Kohlers. What are my options ? I'll lash a 5 gallon gas can to the hood before I pay 100 bucks for this fuel pump. Lol

It's only a matter of time before I fill this gas tank all the way and forget to shut the inline valve. Then I'll be rite back to a crankcase full of gas.

Ken I have wanted to change the mecanical pump on my 1886-01 last year and replacements ran in the 200$ range!!! I got mad and installed a mikuni diaphragm  type snowmobile gas pump. The installation called for me to fabricate a little cap to close the original pump hole where I threaded a brake line fitting to hook up the mikuni pump. The pump cost me 0$ as I have a few snomobiles in the barn but they cost around 40$ brand new,  it worked perfectly! I also looked at buying an electric pump but that was too complicated and nearly as costly as the original. I have installed a shut off valve between the pump and the tank for safety.

Edited by hatedge, March 08, 2013 - 01:26 PM.