OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Could be the electrical Gremlin just happened about the same time. ...

I'm thinking that there is something mechanical that is putting the extra load on the starter/electrical system, and makes it LOOK like an electrical problem.

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Could be the electrical Gremlin just happened about the same time.  Know anyone that can deal with electrical issues Ken?   :smilewink:

I too would first check your oil level.  If abnormally high, fuel has filled your crankcase.  It'll make em smoke like no tomorrow, and it'll be blue from oil thinned out getting past the rings, and sucked from your crankcase breather.  Happened to many of us, including myself.

Yeah-  Check the oil and pull the plug, inspect & crank the thing by hand..  Who knows-  It may be a bunch of mice built a condo in your breather cover!!

As far as the electrical try hooking 30 A of 277 V single phase up to it and see what gives!! :smilewink:

#18 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Since i bought the ht20d from you I thought you were going to put the ht23 inside... Sounds like u could have a huge problem on ur hands I hope its a easy fix an you start keeping your nice tractors inside.. good luck

#19 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Wow !! Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to push into the garage tomorrow and check the few things out you've all suggested.

I'm sure it's not the battery. And it's a gas engine, not Diesel
It was oil smoke I'm petty sure, smelt like burning oil sadly.
It did always since I've owned it have a slight amount of smoke in the exhaust. So I'm guessing that Bob and and the others that said rings or maybe a piston are rite. I hope not, but I'm leaning that way. This is my first Kohler twin with internal issues.

Ken pull the dip stick and see if it’s over full and smells like gas….

Also if it broke a piston or ring most of the time its on the drivers side. You can check by doing a compression test to.

The electrical sounds like bad points to me that could make it run bad. Have you charged the battery then tryed to start it? A low battery will make them run bad aswell you need power to run the coil and it may no longer be charging to, running the battery dry….

#20 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:16 PM

Since i bought the ht20d from you I thought you were going to put the ht23 inside... Sounds like u could have a huge problem on ur hands I hope its a easy fix an you start keeping your nice tractors inside.. good luck

It has been in the garage Sam, until I started rebuilding my trailer. Take a look around the site, more here then just Bolens stuff. Lol. Check my thread about the trailer in the Mechanical forum.

I'm about to make some room and get the HT in the garage rite now, I'm going to check a few things before bed.

Edited by NJKen, March 05, 2013 - 11:17 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#21 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Ok Guys, again, thanks for all your ideals and suggestions.

She's in the garage, battery disconnected and charging.
Checked the oil and guess what ? It's way over full on the dipstick, it's very thinned out, and it smells like stale gas. Then I flicked my bic on the dip stick and it burst into flames immediately. Sorta like it was gas and not oil.

So I guess that's it. I'm going to go back and read what was said about that and what may have caused it.
I've got the heat turned up to 70 so the oil/gas mix can be drained easier in the am when it warms up.

Funny thing is, I just bought a case of 10-30 oil at Sears Hardware last week when it was on sale. So I've got new oil and a few filters around too.

I'm headed to bed shortly, snows a coming over night they say.

Thanks again everyone.
  • MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#22 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 12:03 AM

Pictures of the plugs, I just pulled them and they are soaked.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-1844319874.jpg
  • image-2890052651.jpg

#23 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 05:50 AM

I think it is very cheap insurance and good practice to install a manual shutoff valve in the fuel line of any engine with a gas tank high enough that fuel could flow past the carburetor and into the engine. 

When you are done for the day, shut the fuel off and let it run until it dies. No worries about crap alcohol in the fuel working its magic inside the carburetor that way, too. 

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:21 AM

The manual shut off Lee mentioned is a good idea especially for a quick fix but who knows how much extra gas is getting through even while it is running so you might want to get a rebuild kit for the carb or at least take the fuel bowl off and check the float and needle.

For some reason I was thinking it was a diesel. Leave the spark plugs out of the head as long as you can so the gas will evaporate as much as possible before trying to start it again.

Have you turned it over by hand yet while the plugs are out? Would be the best way because then you will be able to feel and hear any signs of damage although it still isn't a guarantee. 

• tractorgarden said thank you

#25 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:41 AM

You may be in the need of a new fuel pump it may have gone bad and is letting gas go by well sitting.

#26 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:32 AM

They don't look harmful Bad ... how ever it looks like the right side was burning more oil... (probably the lower Cylinder i don't know much about the k ser twin's) it was probably vaporizing from the Crank case breather and into the intake Flooding the engine If its So full it may of been hydro locking the engine ... causing the hard crank situation ..

#27 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Flicked your bic on a gas filled engine?!?!?!    :biting_nails:

I'm surprised the thing didn't blow up buster!!  You found your trouble!!  The thing probably has the highest compression it ever had being it's compressing gas & oil!   :wallbanging:

Swap it out and fix the leaky float and install the shut-off..   :yeah_that:

• IamSherwood said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,475 Thanks
  • 39,715 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:53 AM

You've got a bad float, needle & seat, or fuel pump letting that gas in there. Had that challenge on my LT mower. I just put an inline cutoff for now since it only gets used to mow with.

#29 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:53 AM

If it has been sitting out side, check the float good. It maybe cracked or crushed from water in the bowl freezing.

#30 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Flicked your bic on a gas filled engine?!?!?!    :biting_nails:

That's what I read at first too.

When I re-read it, I realized, that only the DIPSTICK got the Bic lighter test. Whew.