• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:02 PM

My best and favorite large frame is my newest HT-23 with power steering. I bought it a few years ago and paid good $$ for it, cause it was in VERY good shape. It has always started almost instantly when needed.

A few weeks ago I went to use it and it would not turn over, I assumed it was a dead battery from sitting. I jumped it with my Jump Box and it started, but it took a bit longer then normal and the positive battery terminal got hot and smoked a little. I paid not attention to it, just thought since it was cold it too more amperage to turn it over. Ok a week after that it was in the garage all nice and toasty, when I tried to start it, it was turning over ok, but it took a long time with a few times to start. Used it for 5 mins and then parked it and I let it fast idle so the battery would charge up. After a few mins I heard it running like crap !! Then it starting blowing fairly heavy smoke out the exhaust and then shut off, not weird or loud noises. I left it off and it's been sitting for a week maybe.

Calling for snow tonight & tomorrow, I went to put it in the garage, and the battery seemed dead, tried the fully charged jump box and it would not spin, it tried but not even a full revolution. Then the battery cable started smoking.

That's where I am now.

Any suggestions ?? What should I check first ? I'm thinking its something wrong inside the engine.

Seizing maybe ? I'll cry like a 3 YO girl I'd so. : (

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like you might have a couple of issues going on Ken. Did you try turning the engine over by hand yet to see how smoothly it rotates and if you can get a full revolution out of it?

If I am not mistaken your's is a diesel?

• tractorgarden said thank you

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Have you tried swamping batteries yet? It may be as simple as the battery is just toast?

But like George said check to see how it turns over by hand 1st.

If that is ok then I would check all connections and swap out the battery.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:20 PM

If its a gasser, the smoke would be really bad, if its a diesel, is it possible the injectors or pump are malfunctioning and it's getting a lot of excess fuel? How is the Oil level Ken, any signs of it going up or down?

Are you sure the starter isn't just giving up?

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Can we have more info ... Was the smoke Black ? White -Blue .. Does it sound Funny cranking ... For what you say i want to say There is a Bad connection At the battery terminal and the float/pintle is getting Stuck Dumping fuel Directly into the intake .. then when you shut it off it dumps what over flowed in the bowl into the intake then cylinders Could you Pull the spark plugs and get a picture of them ... the condition of a spark plug can explane Alot about whats going on in a engine  

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 07:46 PM

With the starting issues you cited, I'd look at the starter first, see if it got engaged somehow and jammed up against the flywheel.  Also sounds like you should clean the connections to your battery, in fact pull that sucker out of there and take it to a nearby autoparts store, lots of them will check your battery for free.  

My .02

#7 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Ken have you tried to turn it over by hand to see if it is draging. As for the rough running then smoke it is possiable it broke the rings on a piston.

#8 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think I'd pull the plugs to see if it will turn over with them removed as the first thing.

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:35 PM

Wow !! Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to push into the garage tomorrow and check the few things out you've all suggested.

I'm sure it's not the battery. And it's a gas engine, not Diesel
It was oil smoke I'm petty sure, smelt like burning oil sadly.
It did always since I've owned it have a slight amount of smoke in the exhaust. So I'm guessing that Bob and and the others that said rings or maybe a piston are rite. I hope not, but I'm leaning that way. This is my first Kohler twin with internal issues.

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:41 PM

My hillbilly rule of thumb has always been that when electrical parts to a starter get hot, something's putting a resistance into the system. For me, 90% of the time it was been cable connections. 

I just finished a John Deere M project.  It had the exact same problem you had.  The tractor had a good battery, six volt system.  The problem there was a bad connection at the battery plus too small cables.  Make sure you have the right cable rating!  I also had a dirty commutator on the starter.  I brightened up the connections and everything spun like it should!

Ben W.

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Doesn't sound good. I'd pull the plugs and see if it will turn over by hand. If it don't feel right then off with the heads for a better look at the cylinders etc. I'd also make sure that the hydro is turning freely and not loading it down.

#12 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:49 PM

I had a leaking fuel pump on a briggs twin do this kind of thing. It dumped gas in the crankcase and it started blowing by the rings when it got too full. 

I have also had problems with ATV floats leaking while sitting for a while, filling the combustion chamber and hydro locked the engine.

Both problems could be fuel related.

#13 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:56 PM

I had a leaking fuel pump on a briggs twin do this kind of thing. It dumped gas in the crankcase and it started blowing by the rings when it got too full. 

I have also had problems with ATV floats leaking while sitting for a while, filling the combustion chamber and hydro locked the engine.

Both problems could be fuel related.

I think we might have a Winner ..

#14 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I think I would remove and replace that positive battery cable. Remove and clean the negative battery cable. Then check electrical connections from the positive terminal on through.

You didn't mention, but, I assume you jumped the battery, not direct to the starter?

What you describe is not inconsistent with losing spark due to bad electrical connections somewhere.

Good luck with it!

Joe

#15 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:30 PM

Could be the electrical Gremlin just happened about the same time.  Know anyone that can deal with electrical issues Ken?   :smilewink:

I too would first check your oil level.  If abnormally high, fuel has filled your crankcase.  It'll make em smoke like no tomorrow, and it'll be blue from oil thinned out getting past the rings, and sucked from your crankcase breather.  Happened to many of us, including myself.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you