36 replies to this topic

#1 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:16 PM

After thinking all winter I decided not to put a single dime more into the Bolens / Iseki H1704 Tractor .

When I found out just for a gas cap the dealer wanted $60.00 that pretty much convinced me. I pulled the wheels off it today and I will start dismantling it in the next couple of weeks to see if I can sell the engine parts , radiator , front and rear axles, etc. Today I pulled my last tractor project in the shop and started the design for the wheel adaptors to put the Bolens wheels on it. This $100.00 tractor runs excellent and has a hydrostatic transmission and a new battery. The Bolens was my worst buy in my whole life and i should not have trusted the seller when he told me the engine was good . It is what it is and I have still had a great 10 months since I bought my first garden tractor project.

Attached Thumbnails

• anewproject.jpg

Edited by Don Campbell, March 05, 2013 - 06:16 PM.

• backwoods and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Sorry to hear that Don. We are all bound to buy the occasional clunker. You should be able to move some of the parts for that and get some of your investment back. 

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:31 PM

I forget....what did you pay for the Iseki?  We all get stung now & then.

#4 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:56 PM

I sure wish we lived closer together as I would love to have that machine. I've just been offered one maybe two more Kubota diesels in the 17 to 22 hp. range. It would be fun to see if I could get one of them in that tractor. Sorry for your frustration and I hope you can recoup some of your investment. 

Good luck.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:53 PM

We all get stung now & then.

Boy that says it all!

#6 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'll sell it cheap and for someone with a little diesel engine it will make a excellent little 4x4 tractor . At least I can use the tires and rims .

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 01:45 PM

That thing must have put a real "sour" taste in your mouth.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 03:30 PM

Sorry to hear that Don.  My Bolens Iseki was a winner from the start.  I knew the owner and knew it was well maintained.  I hope the stinging stops soon.

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,700 Thanks
  • 8,893 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Don there are some parts I would be interested in. I will PM you when I get home on Friday.

#10 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 08:53 AM

I like all the other green tractors in the picture. even though some are not true john deere

#11 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:46 AM

I paid $1,600.00 for the tractor and front blade. The blade should be worth $200.00 , the rear tires are new so the four tires and rims are worth $500.00 to me. I will be able to use the blade on another tractor . So I figure I can subtract $700.00 from the price.

So that leaves me at a $900.00 investment to try to get back for parts.

The engine has a lot of good parts minus the block . It shows 900 hours on the tractor . The reason it was parked was it had a broken rocker arm and the old guy never fixed it and just left it sitting outside for four years with no cover on the exhaust . Many people saw it sitting beside his barn and tried to buy it but he would never sell it. It would have been so easy to replace one broken rocker arm. Now it needs a new block or another engine. I'm going to put the whole tractor on craigslist with no wheels for $600.00 to see if someone wants to buy it all assembled first .

Then if it doesn't sell I will start taking it apart in a couple more weeks and you can let me know about the parts you might want.

#12 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted March 07, 2013 - 11:49 AM

That is pretty reasonable. It just needs a repower. Someone out there has a diesel just looking for a tractor to put it in!

Geno

#13 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yes, I know nothing about diesels or repowering but someone really could have a nice little heavy duty 4x4 compact tractor cheap if they have a little spare engine and some wheels. I got the wheels now mounted on my 14 hp Onan hydrostatic tractor and they look great.

#14 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:44 AM

i cant wait to see pictures of your latest project and how it turns out. color doesnt matter to me you are an amazing fabricator and make awesome mini tractors. keep up the good work Don.

#15 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 10, 2013 - 10:16 AM

I got the fenders cut out , bent and installed on the new project tractor , even mounted two lights on the rear of the fenders as I like lights, ha,ha. I am going to be more careful not to affend anyone here by not posting much . I ordered EIGHT  30 "  x 8 x 12 ag tires for another upcoming project . They should arrive next week. Everyone needs a 4x4 articulating garden tractor with duels on the front and rear.

Unfortunately the jd 5 bottom plow did not happen this winter. Mostly because I have absolutely no room in the shop for that large project and I did not want the tractors to have to sit outside under huge snowbanks. Be sure to stop by my webpage once in a while as i will post progress pics there and no one can comment on my webpage.