Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens 1556 Engine Swap

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Husky 
#1 ·
How hard of a job to put a wis. motor in a 1556 ????

Would it be a direct swap or are other issues involved

Driveshaft

room for gas tank

electrical

bolt down to frame

intake and exhaust

Anyone done this or is there a better motor choise for the swap I have a chance to get a 1556 with no motor for $100.00

Any opinions on this topic ???? Thanks sodi

#2 ·
If the 1556 is in good shape but no engine that is a good price. But you have to wonder if the transaxle is bad and thats why the engine was pulled. Are there any attachments? are the tires good? is the drive shaft missing? There are a lot of variables to consider. Take some pictures and list what is missing. Your list above seemed to be asking about these variables so I'm not sure how to address them except to say that you are correct to consider them. There is a good chance that the tractor is worth the $100 for the parts on it. Good Luck, Rick

#3 ·
For 100 Grab it ! the wisconsin Should be a direct bolt in (I think) The only thing is the pulley has a different off set (be twine the groves) so you might have to find a pulley Basically you would be making a 1256 ... every thing Besides electrical Should be the same I have Done MANY engine swaps Judging that the engine is the same size every thing will fall into place ...

#4 ·
don't take this the wrong way because i own several wisconsons but newer can be better newer Vtwins are more fuel efficient are smoother running and can be found used for a reasonable price plus parts can be had at any local small engine supply place , you also get the advantage of pressure lube and a low oil shutoff if you wire it in . you will want to go up a couple hp to get the torque number of the wiscon but lack of vibration will be a plus you can live with . just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
If you can find an engine great. Any old tech hh or oh series will bolt right in. If you are interested in a newer engine as bolex said pm me and I can send you some info on what I did to my 1456. Here's a video of it for you to see that it can be done with some work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.