#1 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 01:10 AM

You just found the perfect GT, everything you wanted if not more. The seller is nice enough but he says his price is firm. You have looked at enough of these tractors to know he is about $900 too high.You don't want to insult the guy, as you really want his mower. On the other hand he is too high and maybe you should keep looking. In frustration you tell him you need to talk to the wife and leave.

In negotiation, there are many tactics that you may meet or use. They can be fair, foul or something in between, depending on the style of the people involved and the seriousness of the outcomes. There are so many variables. If anyone would like to share what they do to get a great deal, I for one, would like to hear about it. I will share but would like to wait until a few have posted.

Thank you in advance.

imagesCAX62K7R.jpg

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi Steve,

why the lie "I have to talk w/ my wife"? We're old enough to advance a view. And in case of need I must live the rest of my life without this GT.

• boyscout862, A.C.T. and larryd have said thanks

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:56 AM

I just tell them what I can give, and if nobody buys it, give me a call and I'll still buy it.
  • boyscout862, twostep, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#4 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:17 AM

Me, I'd never go look at a tractor that was priced $900 over value!
But, I'd tell the guy what is is worth to me and wish him luck.
I'd let him test the market for a while and if it was still listed later I might talk to him again. But, it's not likely!

Joe
  • boyscout862, A.C.T. and larryd have said thanks

#5 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:46 AM

I agree with Amigetic . I'll tell them what I will give and that ends it .

larryd

• boyscout862 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:21 AM

Me, I'd never go look at a tractor that was priced $900 over value!

I'm the same way. I listed my 682 up (at an inflated price) just to see if I got any interest as I had my mind set on another goal. Anyway, a guy calls and wants to see it. He looks at it, checks the steering wheel, I fire it up... offer to let him drive it around the yard... he says no thanks and then offeres me HALF of what I had it listed at... :wtf:  :say_what:

I went back in the house told the wife what he offered and her exact words were "why would even come to look at it if he wasn't willing to offer close to your list price?"

However, to answer your question. If I see soemthing that I'm really set on and it is listed higher than I'm willing to give I call/email and discuss details about it. If I like what I hear I'll either tell them the MOST I would pay for such item... of if there price is close to reasonable already I'll just ask how firm they are on it. The LEAST I'll try to negotiate is fuel costs unless something is already way cheaper than it's worth.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#7 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:29 AM

i personaly dont normaly buy them i trade up to get a tractor in better condition or that better suites my needs. however when i bought the cubs 70 and 123 i was told to look at it(the 123) an make an offer i didnt want to insult him but i didnt want to spend more then it was worth to me, i made a offer of 100 for both he came back with 150 for both i knew it was still a steal for the pair so i took it.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I have two ways to go about it.  First of all, 90% of the time I am looking at something to restore/repair and resell, so I have to think about what its worth after I invest the money into it.

If I can sense that the seller really hates to see his machine go, I usually like to show that I know something about the machine, or older stuff in general by pointing out something while looking at it.  That shows I'm not just a scrapper, and that I love the equipment.

If I can sense that the seller doesn't know diddly squat about the machine, then I also like to show that I know something about it (setting myself up as an expert, in a way) so if I decide that its worth __, then when I say "it's worth __ to me" he might even concede that since I know, my offer might be the best.

If the price is too high, I always make an offer.  The worst they can do is pass out from complete shock at my price!  If that offer is not accepted, I will go up a hair just to see if conceding a bit helps the deal.  If they say no, all I can do is walk away.  I always leave my phone number.  I've had times when I made an offer (even half what they were asking) and later had the seller come back to me in a month and ask if my offer still stands. 

So there you go: a bit of my insanity.

Ben W.

• backwoods and A.C.T. have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hi Steve,

why the lie "I have to talk w/ my wife"? We're old enough to advance a view. And in case of need I must live the rest of my life without this GT.

That is a reasonable question, since both my wife and I use that dodge often.

I Negotiate in my Job often always looking for the Win-Win solution for everyone(Customer and my Employer).

The Cardinal rule of negotiation is to not let the opposition know you are the decision maker (give up the advantage).

I could write a bunch about this but wil only leave one other tip for now.

Never be afraid to walk away!! I can't tell you how many times I have had people call me back before I got to the truck.

I can not tell you how many times I have laid down my money and the better deal came up the next week!!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:23 PM

I have used the wife statement a few times. I do often check with her to make sure she's not going to leave me over it, occasionally it's an excuse. It's usually only when I am sure the seller is inflexible. I never want to walk away, but I am not afraid to.

I usually tell them it's more than I can justify, but I wish him good luck. If there is anything positive about it that they don't know, I tell them so they can mention it to other prospective buyers. I honestly don't use this as a ploy, but I am genuinely interested in helping. This sincerity has caused several of them to call me a week or so later asking what I could justify spending.
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I honestly don't use this as a ploy, but I am genuinely interested in helping.  This sincerity has caused several of them to call me a week or so later asking what I could justify spending. 

I hope that works for me... Last night a guy called me about some rims and turfs that I am selling off of my kubota. We talked about all kinds of things relating to our kubotas and I advised him based on my experience. After all was said and done he decided he didn't want what I had to sell. The guy seemed appreciative for my advice so I feel fine about not making the sell.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Usually I won't even go look at one if it's past my price.  If it's within my range I go get it, no haggling, just pay the man & load it up.  Now if something isn't as it was represented, then the haggling comes in.

• twostep and A.C.T. have said thanks

#13 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:36 PM

When it comes to down to price, everyone wants to feel they got a good deal. Negotiating is hated by some, loved by others. I have found to get the best deal possible leave your emotions at home. Set a price in your mind and stick to it. Be prepared to walk away from it if need be.

When you first make a call on the GT plant the seed, "seems a little high but I would like to take a look." I also will ask "are you firm on price?" But I think the negotiation should take place face to face and not on the phone. Besides you may not like it.

Make an appointment to look at the tractor. Be on time or call. Being polite goes along way. To negotiate finding flaws can reduce price, but do it carefully. Do not nitpick or cut his GT down. Do the silent appraisal, you maybe suprised. Example; if a tire is worn run your hand on it and say nothing. They usually spill the beans!

In regards to price, ask the seller how he arrived at the advertised price and listen. Your offer should be backed up with fact as well.

Good luck with your next purchase!

imagesCAZ4GKQ0.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#14 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 06:55 AM

"Flashing" cash in the amount you are willing to spend will sometimes make a difference.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted March 06, 2013 - 07:19 AM

I have tried twice to buy a DB here in the area, both times I have offered the same amount. The first time the seller called (a woman), and she told me the "attachment" was worth what I offered. Well it didn't sell. The next year she lowered her price by $50 and added OBO to it. I offered the same price, this time no reply. Finally I wrote her again and explained what she has, what it take to fix it, and how much it was worth after restoration, she took the add down and never replied.

I also told her when it didn't sell and she reposted it, my offer would go down.