• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:22 PM

I have an electric bike that I really like. I upgraded from my first one two years ago which was an A2B Velocity, 36 V that did really well. Bulletproof electronics wise, and always ran and still does though I sold it to a friend last spring. That is when I ponied up for a heck of a bike, and it really replaced my car for all intents and purposes.

From last spring to this day, put nearly 7,000 miles on it. Commuting, mostly, but had some great off road miles on it as well. Pulls like a freight train, can run faster than is legal on most streets, and is fun as all git out.

72 V Lipo4 pack, 18 AH, 4,500 W motor.... 

Yep, goes like forever....

Attached Thumbnails

• facelift.jpg
  • 4130 pickup (2).jpg
  • IMG_20120531_095430.jpg
  • IMG_20120607_150922.jpg
  • IMG_20120617_134111.jpg

• olcowhand, DH1, daytime dave and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:32 PM

Very COOL !! how far and how fast will it go?

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Well, just like a car, if you drive it to 100% of it's hp potential , it's range ( mpg) goes down. My 7 series BMW gets about 30 on the highway at near normal highway speeds , but step into the 292 hp and run her up to a hundred +  or better, and I look at maybe 14 MPG.... at 140 that thing gets 8 MPG, or less....

That said:

This bike can go well over 50 MPH for some time , or 50 miles in one charge, but not both. I've had it to 60+ , off road in full gear. But I digress, my docile riding of 25 MPH or less commute is 40 + miles, and I can do that easily on one charge  with some grocery running too, if I pedal along some too. With some reserve left even, most I have ever done is 55 miles, but that was riding real gingerly, and pedaling a fair amount too.

Edited by marlboro180, March 04, 2013 - 11:21 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for posting this. That's an awesome e bike. My wife has been looking at electric bikes for running errands since we have only one car. Most of the ones she is looking at are 500w motors and have much less battery than what you are riding. A range of about 20miles round trip would be all she would need.

• marlboro180 said thank you

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:07 AM

That is pretty sweet. I had heard about them a little bit but never really questioned or asked about them. Definitely something to check in to. Do you mind me asking what the prices average for bikes like that?

• daytime dave and tractorgarden have said thanks

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:43 AM

This bike can go well over 50 MPH for some time , or 50 miles in one charge, but not both. I've had it to 60+ , off road in full gear. But I digress, my docile riding of 25 MPH or less commute is 40 + miles, and I can do that easily on one charge  with some grocery running too, if I pedal along some too. With some reserve left even, most I have ever done is 55 miles, but that was riding real gingerly, and pedaling a fair amount too.

Well, it won't get me to work on a charge. I drive 55Mi. on the interstate each way. Very cool.

#7 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Do you mind me asking what the prices average for bikes like that?

I was wondering too.

That is a really cool bike.

#8 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 01:24 PM

JD Brian, most of the mid- range e-bikes ( or pedalecs as they are sometimes referred to ) are going to be in that 300- 500 Watt area, and the range is really dependent on the battery fitted to the bike. The A2B I had last year was very similar, and had an effective range of 25 miles or so. The amp hour rating of the battery is real important for your wife to be looking into as she researches e-bikes.The " assisted"  range the makers seems to be getting better, though more range generally = more money. The Pedago City bike or an e-Motion  might be worth looking at for her.

I was lucky enough to attend Interbike 2012 in Vegas , and rode tons of electrics at the outdoor demo. My top pics were:  Easy Motion ( e-motion), Pedago, Stromer, and of course the Stealth Bomber .

The pricing for a decently made commuterish/ standard bike starts right around 2 thousand, all the way up and past 14 grand  (for an Optibike made in Boulder, CO)  Some of the industry guys were telling me that the ~ two thousand dollar pricepoint is where they need to be for average consumer acceptance and the ablility to make something reliable.  Many , many cheap-o asian e-bikes have shown up here in the states, ( for a lot less money)  and unforunately get unloaded on the backs of unwary consumers, largely through big box stores and the like. Parts and support for the cheapo bikes are not great, at best, and a lot are left to gather dust in the garage with disappointed consumers holding the bag. 

George and Dave- ummmmm , the Stealth Bomber is kinda spendy, all told the MSRP on a new one is just about 10 grand. The battery alone is a huge chunk of that, then the Suntour V-Boxx 9 speed gearbox, then the beast of a motor.... It's got some nice components on/ in it .

Before I had decided to get it, I went around and rode every electric motorcycle I could , from Brammo's to Zero's offerings. KTM now has a nice one out, BTW. After putting down a deposit on an electric motorcycle  and letting it stew a bit, I kept thinking back to the Stealth Bomber and how fun it would be to ride just about anywhere in near silence and not be on a " Motorcycle" but on a bicycle instead.  I ended up with the Bomber and could not be happier with that decision, other than my now superlight wallet. :D

• daytime dave, sacsr, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#9 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:29 PM

Trouble in toyland, I let some magic smoke out.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 10:37 PM

OH CRAP!  

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 06:06 AM

This doesn't sound good!

#12 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 06:47 AM

OH CRAP!  

This doesn't sound good!

Oh Oh, that smoke is usually let out through a one way valve and there is not much chance of putting it back without $$ being involved.

Any details of what happened?  This was an interesting thread till the last few posts, then it became scary.

#13 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for posting marlboro180,I guess I've had my head in the sand as I don't think I've seen one before.  You mention pedaling,does it take much effort to pedal when needed? and how much time does it take to recharge?

Good luck on recapturing the magic smoke,I hate it when some escapes!

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Smoke from the motor, controller, or the battery pack????   I know you're out there....let us know something!

#15 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted March 09, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Pigsitter,

Recharge time on this bike is about 2 1/2 hrs, from what I call "dead dead" . That means that if I draw the battery all the way down to it's lowest voltage allowed, and still yet be able to run at all but at limited speed and power. Think of a throttle rollback, or a rev- limiter....

This bike has two " computers"  in it that regulate the voltage and the like.   The first ( Cycle - Analyst)  one has  user  variable amp- draw, voltage limits at the low end, power ramps, etc. Essentially one can tune it to ride like a docile cruiser, or a rocket ship. 

The second " computer"  is  a Battery Management System. The BMS monitors each one of the 24 series wired cells, and serves to balance the pack during charging and dischaging, balance the cells at steady- state,  as well as shutting the pack down if a low voltage event occurs. Too low  a voltage serves as a death knell to these cells, as well as too high a voltage come to think of it. :D   It also has a high temperature sensor  limit built into it.

This second system, the BMS, is what got hurt.... I had the battery on the bench, soldering up some better quality connections ( Super-Deans,  gold plated stuff from the R/C world) on the "charging " side of the battery.  I was just making an adjustment, and l carelessly let the soldering iron tip stray onto the other lead at the new connection.... "Poof" went that soldering iron tip, and all I could see for a minute were green spots.... :toilethead:  I guess my thoughts  that one can weld with a  pack of this power are indeed very true.

There is no real visible damage to the BMS, or any other component, but the symptoms it is now showing (while re-connected ) all point to BMS damage.It will not allow the charger to kick in, and without some serious prodding the CA and controller will not come to life.

While awaiting some responses from the guys here at Stealth USA who I hope will help me source  a new BMS, I am working on some driveline improvements on the bike.

Edited by marlboro180, March 09, 2013 - 10:16 AM.

• sacsr, Michiganmobileman and pigsitter have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: e-bike, ebike, electric, stealth