• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 09:09 PM

How is the reverse suppose to work?

Larry, Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the Edko but I'll take a stab at reverse. Is that a friction drive wheel ahead of the bare pulley next to the drive chain? Do the big pulleys pivot? On a lot of walkers, reverse is accomplished by a friction drive in a pulley and that's what looks lke what's happening here. Just not real sure what's actually moving there.

• Larry S said thank you

#17 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 09:33 PM

welcome.png

My name is Steve and I'm a tractorholic. It has been 6 days since my last purchase(JD 212).

Larry good job with the pics. Glad you found us!

Edited by anderson classic tractors, March 04, 2013 - 09:36 PM.

• Larry S said thank you

#18 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hi larry and welcome! :wave: Thanks for the pics really enjoy them hope you can stick around lots of great people here :thumbs:

• Larry S said thank you

#19 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Hi Larry, Welcome to the forum. I agree with what Doug T said. The original engine was also a gear reduction correct? I think your engine pulley is on backwards. Shawn

Edited by tractorgarden, March 04, 2013 - 10:41 PM.

• tractorgarden'sbabe and Larry S have said thanks

#20 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Larry , turn your engine pulley around. in your last picture you can see that there is a small groove and a large groove. the small groove is for your reverse; large is for forward.... you need two separate belts.

#21 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Welcome Larry you will enjoy the people and their expertise here. All very helpful. If you are talking about Pontiac, MI. I grew up North of you in Lake Orion, Oxford area. Been gone from there a couple of years now, since 1980. " Gradiated" in 1967 about,.......well lets just say a few years ago.  Nice tractor looks like a good worker and a lot of fun to work on. ENJOY !

• Larry S said thank you

#22 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:14 AM

Well it good to see you got the pictures posted. Larry had been talking to me though pm's about this and told him to post the pic's, when it came up the tractor is a Wizard branded one.

Some history first. This tractor was built by Edko in Des Monies Iowa from 74 thur early 78, when the company was bought out by Areins, who took one of the 3 models and sold it under their own brand name. Edko was the orginal builder of the Plow-Hoss one wheeler, (which is still being built in MS, someplace), The Walking Tractor, which is the two wheeled one in Larry's pictures,. The last model was a  tiller machine was built that could be converted to a 2 wheel tractor also, but i cant recall the name right now. Wizard was the brand name of Western Auto for who Edko built Larry's machine. Some place in this site are pictures of my Edko Walking Tractor, with its 5hp 6to1 gear drive. The patented part of this tractor is the reversable, adjustable hubs. the tractor goes into reverse by moving the clutch lever the oppasite direction from forward travel. I'm missing the R parts from my  tractor, but basically you just have an A belt that runs between two pulleys and as you move the lever forwards it causes the rubber pully to rub the outside of a pully. As you slack one belt the other one turns the other  pully group The 5/8 belt is the main drive one for going forwards. Looks like the pullys is on the shaft backwards in the pictures.  See clear as mud,,,right. Trust me this type of reverser has been used since at least the thirty's. All my big Handiman units use it.

Since you have all the parts short the belt it should be easy to get a measurement of the one missing.  I havent played with mine for a while, as the last time i looked, one of the patented spring inside the hubs was broken, so mine only drives good one side. the adjustable part is simply a C clip, on the axils,  that let you widen the wheels or narrow them up, with out having to change any linkages. Most reversing hubs have some fixed point mounted to the tractor frame that cause the motion to flop from forwards to back, this tractor has it built inside the hub completely.

I have tried before to get some answers about the company without having to drive over to Des Monies, but i think maybe there was some hard feelings involved in the breakup and no one wants to talk about it. I did see at one time the Trade Marks for the Walking Tractor and the tiller unit were for sale.

Good to see something new pop up, as there cant be many of them built and probally fewer left running. I also called these the last of the line, as far as walk-behind tractor went. Most other lines got out in the 60's, but these guys started one up in the late 70's. I also find it interesting that most of the ones i know about are down south.

• hamman, tractorgarden, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:25 AM

Thanks for the history. Buy the looks of that tractor you'd swear it was from the 50s not the 70s.

Welcome Larry S !  Thanks for the pics :thumbs:

Almost looks like you'll have to move the engine over a bit to get the pulleys to line up.

• Larry S said thank you

#24 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 02:27 AM

i'll try to clafiy how the pully system works. first off if you turn it around and get the proper B grooves line up you will see tha the tractor has 2 forward speeds, depending on which pully set you use. The reversing part come from the wide spot between the A and B groove rubbing against the rubber face of the idler pully. You only have to get a belt that fits in the A groove and it has to be fairly a tight fit, since these 2 pullys only move forwards and down, but dont get closer to together. I figured out how all this would havew worked a few yrs back by looking at the photos in the sale flyer and how the machine was liaded out here, even though i was missing the main idler shaft and reverser pully.

• tractorgarden and Larry S have said thanks

#25 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 03:43 AM

lil' late, but: welcome 2 gtt :thumbs:

• Larry S said thank you

#26 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 08:22 AM

i'll try to clafiy how the pully system works. first off if you turn it around and get the proper B grooves line up you will see tha the tractor has 2 forward speeds, depending on which pully set you use. The reversing part come from the wide spot between the A and B groove rubbing against the rubber face of the idler pully. You only have to get a belt that fits in the A groove and it has to be fairly a tight fit, since these 2 pullys only move forwards and down, but dont get closer to together. I figured out how all this would havew worked a few yrs back by looking at the photos in the sale flyer and how the machine was liaded out here, even though i was missing the main idler shaft and reverser pully.

Which shaft actually pivots here? From the picture it looks like the shaft with the chain is going to pivot. The reverser pulley bracket looks fixed. It looks to me like the rear shaft would pivot forward and the reverser wheel will run in the bare pulley groove. It looks like the engine wil have to go sideways to get the belts to line up. The engine pulley does need to be flipped.

• Larry S said thank you

#27 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 12:13 PM

there main shadft moves forwards, slacks the belt, and the rubber reverser part hits one of the main shaft pullys. There is a spring that pulls the main shaft back, like a safety thing. Hard to get it all explained when you only have half the parts.

• Larry S said thank you

#28 Larry S OFFLINE  

Larry S
  • Member No: 29517
  • 14 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Steve and group, thanks for the advice. I am going down now to turn the engine pulley around. I may make a mini- movie to post on what the handle does, so I can get the reverse going. Waiting on the wife to get home, so one can shoot and one move the mechanism. Thanks again to all. Larry

Edited by Larry S, March 05, 2013 - 05:02 PM.

• hamman and tractorgarden have said thanks

#29 Larry S OFFLINE  

Larry S
  • Member No: 29517
  • 14 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Ok I took the engine pulley off to turn it around, should there be a washer on the shaft between the gear reduction housing and the pulley?

Edited by Larry S, March 05, 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#30 tractorgarden ONLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:25 PM

I do not think so....... The shaft is keyed correct? Your pulley should have a set screw of some sorts on it.

To lock it on the shaft, hope this helps. Shawn