John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:30 PM

The 5-7 years is just a bench mark,  life expectancy has so many factors, but in your case, keeping the unit maintained, sharp blades, oil changes, good storage, fix the little things, who knows the limits. I also think the rear end is a non-issue in your case, besides there are things that can be done to them, to extend there life too, drain and refill with synthetic oil comes to mind. 

I have a JD LA120 that was used real hard before I got into the old stuff, still going with about 225 hours on it.

#17 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 05:52 PM

I would highly recommend an older cub cadet (1200, 1450, 1650...ect.) or an older Sears Suburban. I have a few of each and it is unbelievable what they are capable of doing. One of my favorites is my Minneapolis Moline 108, that thing will pull anything but it would be tough finding one. and I agree about the comments of the tractors made today, most are made small and are made very cheap. my aunt has a 2004 John deere GX 335 with almost every option and its amazing how cheap that was made. The motor runs crappy and most of the body and shields are plastic. :(  IMO, I would stay away from anything newer than 2000.

Edited by Matt O, March 04, 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#18 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 06:51 PM

I would avoid the 1250-1450-1650, they have rubber mounted engines that cause all kinds of head aches.  Look for the 149, 129, 125, 105, ect, those are hydro drive cubs, the 149 has factory hyd lift as well.  Those have solid mounted engines and run Kohler K series cast iron single cylinder engines.  You might try putting a wanted post on CL, many times the better examples sell long before they put up an ad.  Also check the Cub Cadet(Or JD) forums like ihcubcadet dot com, cubcadetcollectors or for the green stuff weekendfreedommachines dot org.  Not knocking this forum but some guys dont post or watch them all. When your hunting, you need to look everywhere!   I just swapped my WH for a nice IH Cub Cadet 105 that runs like a top.  For green stuff, look for 140h1, 140h3, 318, 332 diesel ect.  I prefer the IH built Cubs myself, grew up using them.  I have owned pretty much all the brands, and always come back to Cubs.   Mike

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 06:58 PM

That brings me to your #3 (3. A 1500.00 new disposable tractor will gave you 5-7 years maybe more of use with a little TLC.) A tractor rated at 1-2 acres of mowing that is considered a 5-7 year tractor in theory on the low end of mowing 1/4 acre and using 5 years and 1 acre as the magic numbers could last 20+ years if maintained right?

I don't know of any LT made today that can possibly last 20 years simply because the metal is so thin they rot away, even when cared for.  The decks will do good to last 5 to 7 years.  The metal sheets they use to form the LT's is thin to start with.  Then when they press it over a die, the metal gets stretched even thinner.  Now the higher priced GT's of today are much better than LT's, but still no match to old iron.

#20 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 07:35 PM

just for the record, our 1970's 1450 has been in my family since it was new and we have never had a problem with it. in fact, almost everyone in my family owns one of those three I mentioned and never has a problem with them. they are built to last. IDK whats wrong with the motor mounts, the tractors run real smooth. Almost no shake! 

#21 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 09:06 PM

jimmyj,

Instead of looking on ebay or craigslist, start looking through you local paper for public auction listings. I know for a fact, that there is a sale coming up in two weeks, down by your way, where the seller has a decent amount of older garden tractors listed on the sale bill, and most of them have been repainted and look great. In my honest opinion, I think in most cases, you tend to make out better at public auctions than you do searching the internet.

As stated above, stay away from the new stuff. Yes, even though I'm a big John Deere nut, the new box store John Deere's aren't worth the hard earned dollar you'll spend for them.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Troy

• A.C.T. said thank you

#22 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 05, 2013 - 09:46 AM

All this advice may be to much to process at once. I'll just say, take your time. What you need may just drop into your lap. When you get something get all the manuals that cover it. You can download manuals for free here but you are limited on number per week. Start off by getting the Briggs and Straton manual, the Kohler manual, and an old GT catalog of your choice. If you get a freebie LT use the troubleshooting guide for fixing it. Take your time and Good Luck, Rick

IF you get a push mower, remember to pull the spark plug before working near the blade!

#23 jimmyj OFFLINE  

jimmyj
  • Member No: 29547
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Well the damage is done, Friday night I picked up my new Husqvarna YTH24K48!! Its still to cold here on the east coast to use it but I couldnt resist a few laps around the yard to try it out and so far my first impression is WOW!! Very impressive power and speed and in my opinion the turning radius is crazy, I can make a nice tight turn around my trees and would still be able to turn tighter if I needed to. The free dump cart it came with leaves alot to be desired but hey it was free and will serve me well. Here is a pic of the proud new owner (wonder if Ill ever get to use it??)  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0487.JPG

#24 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 08:59 AM

congrats on the new tractor how long before you get another one?

#25 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted March 18, 2013 - 09:11 AM

good luck with that tractor. seen a lot in the shop with issues, hopefully urs will be one of the rare ones

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, husqvarna, john deere