• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyj OFFLINE  

jimmyj
  • Member No: 29547
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:26 AM

I need a little advice from the pro's here please, I recently purchased my first home and after a year of push mowing my lawn I want/need a tractor. I only have a 1/4 acre with not many obstacles and other than a slight grade its flat. I know a 42" deck is all I need the problem is I also have a 6x10 utility trailer that comes in a little over 1000 lbs with the tool box and sides I added to it. Currently I park the trailer in my garage but would like to free up some space and park it in the back yard out of the way but its just to heavy for me to pull it up to the driveway even with a tow dolly and with my sprinkler system I dont want to drive my suv back to hook it up. Now you can see where the tractor comes into play. The tractor will be used for weekly mowing and maybe once or twice a month towing the trailer up to the driveway. I originally decided on a JD D130 knowing its the right tool for the job of mowing but not so much when it comes to the trailer. I also took a close look at the Husqvarna YTH24K48 and really like this mower but Im just not sure how well it will stand up to the abuse of moving my trailer. I do not plan on ever towing the trailer with a load on it, I know a yard tractor is not designed for that at all. I have read through the other posts but couldnt find any with my situation, I have a small yard but need something big enough to do some ocasional towing. Does anyone use a yard tractor to tow or any advice on a tractor in the  yard class because I cant afford anything in the garden class right now? My head is just spinning being a rookie at this with so many options out there?

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 10:41 AM

To start with Welcome to GTTalk, to me it sounds like you are in the need of a Garden tractor vs. a Lawn tractor, as for which one I am not sure, you will get plenty of suggestion. I find myself using older models with a good transaxle and I enjoy the repairs to get them goling and keeping them going. which says you have to be kind of knowledge about the tractor and don't mind getting your hands dirty at times. I am particial to JD.

Good luck

Dick

• larryd said thank you

#3 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Tongue weight would be the biggest concern.  Too much weight on the aluminum TX will wear out the bushings and crack the case. I have picked up several LTs for scrap that had busted axles from pulling trailers. I have seen axle housings worn through just from a lot of mowing.

Box store mowers are only designed to last 5-7 years, even less if you use them on big yards. By then the steering will be so sloppy you cant hardly drive them anyway. I worked on a guys 2009 White a last year and couldnt believe the poor engineering on it. MTD... made to die. No heim joints on the tie rods, just steel to steel with no bushings. 

• larryd said thank you

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:18 AM

:welcometogttalk:  You sound like you need a GT(Garden Tractor). You sound like you have been looking at newer ones. If you were to go with an 80's-90's GT I am sure you could find one in your price range.Your local Craigslist is a great spot to find older GT's. You should be able to find a good one with a deck and plenty of pulling power and traction for ,say, $500-$600. I would personally go with a Cub Cadet but I am rather biased toward them as many people will tell you. :rolling:

• larryd said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Jimmy welcome to GTTalk!! Can you give us a little more information on the layout of you new lawn?

I ask because the terrain you going to be pulling that trailer can have a lot of bearing on what you need. If the ground is sloping a 1000 lb trailer can jack knife a GT that weighs less very easily if conditions are not ideal.  I have a 4X8 utility trailer that I have pulled with my 318 but loaded it can be a handfull since the 318 weighs around 800 lbs.

On the Surface my first reccomendation is not to buy a new LT, but instead look for a good used GT.

But more info would help make a better reccomedation.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 04, 2013 - 11:25 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#6 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:26 AM

the huski uses the same hydro (K57R) in the RERs. I am not sure if they over built the RERs or under built the LTs

The axle is only rated for 650 pounds static weight. That includes 1/2 of tractor weight + driver weight + trailer tongue weight.

Edited by rat88, March 04, 2013 - 11:33 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 11:55 AM

If you want to stay with a JD product I'd look at a used GT or GX tractor from the 90's or early 2000's. The more you pay the more strength and features you get.

• larryd said thank you

#8 jimmyj OFFLINE  

jimmyj
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone, its this kind of help that brought me to this forum and I'm really glad I found it. rat88 thats exactly what I am worried about with the tranny, as far as a RER I dont know why I just dont like them. I dont know if its the look or what. JD DANNELS my property like everything here in Delaware is really flat other than a slight grade off of the house for normal rain run off. I know tongue weight could be a problem and as far as jack knifing fingers crossed I plan on only moving the trailer empty and at a very slow speed. I figured I would need to step up to a GT over a YT, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else. LTD I have searched Craigslist and ebay but couldnt find anything worth looking at but trust me I would never knock a Cub I just dont have any dealers close other than a BB store and I would like to stay away from the BB stores if I can. Anyone have any experience with the Husqvarna locking rear diff?

• larryd said thank you

#9 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:19 PM

My personal opinion is find you a nice allis charmers b10 with a 42 inch deck. I think it would move the trailer fine as I have moved trailers with mine, and it is a great little garden tractor that you could buy more attachments for as you needed them. They run between 400-700 dependant upon condition, and the guys on here will tell you I am an allis lover myself so I have to put in my 2 cent about the allis!
  • larryd said thank you

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:34 PM

Wecome to GTT. Bargain Hunting on CL requires patience and a lot of luck. Do you have mechanical abilities for working on the tractor? This is a question that you have to really answer for your self. If you can and are willing you are then opening up a lot more opportunities.

I'd start off with a push rotary mower. A 1/4 acre should take less than an hour to cut. I sometimes do mine just for the walking and neater job. This would buy you more time to find what you want. Yoou will find a lot of tractors and mowers coming available after the first mowing in your area in the spring. People will buy new ones when the old won't start. Then I usually pick up several LTs for free. Get it to turn over(usually battery or safety switch), check the ignition system, clean the fuel system and they will usually run. There was an nice LT on CL last Saturday for only $150. It didn't run. The first person pointed out that the oil was low and it had a low oil safety sensor. They added oil and it ran. Then the owner wanted alot more.

Often repairs are simple. See if you can pick up a few freebies to play with. All the while looking for your dream GT. I like Bolens and Allis Chalmers B series. Good Luck, Rick

• larryd said thank you

#11 Ron White OFFLINE  

Ron White

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 267
  • 123 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:48 PM

the huski uses the same hydro (K57R) in the RERs. I am not sure if they over built the RERs or under built the LTs

The axle is only rated for 650 pounds static weight. That includes 1/2 of tractor weight + driver weight + trailer tongue weight.

So with me being 6'7" tall and 325lbs, I would have to load the trailer to the rear of the axle so the tongue would be negative,  if I wanted to hook it to this tractor you speak of :D

• larryd said thank you

#12 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 04, 2013 - 01:17 PM

So with me being 6'7" tall and 325lbs, I would have to load the trailer to the rear of the axle so the tongue would be negative,  if I wanted to hook it to this tractor you speak of :D

Yep. LTs are just barely made tough enough for the average people to mow the grass. Using most of the factory "add ons" on a MTD will kill it even quicker

• larryd said thank you

#13 Kurtee ONLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 02:14 PM

Try this to search craigslist. It searches more than the local craigslist. It can also be narrowed down to regions. Just need to find something within striking distance and go get it. Striking distance is the miles you are willing to drive to get it. You will want to be specific as to what you are searching for or have lots of pages to scan. Like maybe search Cub cadet or John Deere garden tractor. 

http://www.adhuntr.com/

• larryd said thank you

#14 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Jimmy. Welcome to GTt,

While I too I'm a big fan of older tractor's and know they are better than new stuff, I have to say .......... But :D

You need to ask yourself a few questions, because what you ask is real straight forward,

Will the D130 or Husky do what you want, I say yes to either. Mow 1/4 acre and move a a empty trailer twice a month, 

no need for old iron for these tasks in my eye's, but (always a but)

1. Are you sure that's all you want to do?, no mulching, no leaves, no snow removal

2. Are you able and willing to work on an older tractor?, (no cup holders or cruise control on them)

if you answered #1 yes and #2 no move on to #3  :thumbs:

3. A 1500.00 new disposable tractor will gave you 5-7 years maybe more of use with a little TLC.

• larryd said thank you

#15 jimmyj OFFLINE  

jimmyj
  • 6 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 03:49 PM

John you bring up some good points... All the trees around me are evergreens so no leaves to deal with and living in Delaware snow is rare, I was raised in western PA so to purchase a plow or snow blower here may be a joke and I dont mind holding a shovel now and then.. That brings me to your #3 (3. A 1500.00 new disposable tractor will gave you 5-7 years maybe more of use with a little TLC.) A tractor rated at 1-2 acres of mowing that is considered a 5-7 year tractor in theory on the low end of mowing 1/4 acre and using 5 years and 1 acre as the magic numbers could last 20+ years if maintained right?

Also I have been toying with the idea of taking the trailer dolly I have (harbor freight special) and adapting it to be towed behind my future tractor so the tongue weight will rest on the dolly not the frame of the tractor. I do realize the two issues I will have are obviously no backing up and the possibility of the weight of the trailer pushing on the dolly causing it to jack knife. I know theres a way around the jack knife issue but until I buy the tractor and lay it all out in front of me I cant really come up with anything. Maybe somebody else tried this or something like it???

rat88 that is just sad that companys put out products of that quality these days, I have heard horror stories of factory add on's causing problems with equiptment. That brings me back to my original post, all I want is a decent tractor that can cut grass and do a little towing around the yard but Im leary to purchase anything with my hard earned money that in all reality can be expected to break under normal use. I have been searching local ads for some older used equiptment based on the advise I got here because they were just made better. I am going to keep an eye out for the free or cheap "problem mowers" too, I love to work on stuff so maybe Ill find a cheap one that wont make me cry when I break it.

• larryd said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, husqvarna, john deere