• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clark3251 OFFLINE  

clark3251

• Member No: 1240
  • 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 04:20 PM

I have a "new" 1969 MF10. It has the lift arm from the deck adjustment on back. I was wondering if you could use after market (category 0) three point hitch or had to find the original. I also would like to know if a "Haban Sickle-Mo"wer would work without much ,if any, fabricating?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted September 27, 2010 - 10:23 PM

Welcome to GTTALK, If you have a camera, a few pics might be a good starting point. Is the haban set up for cat 0 or sleeve? Does your 10 have the sleeve hitch on it, or are you starting from scratch? We'll all try to help, let's go one at a time starting with a few pics.:wave:

#3 clark3251 OFFLINE  

clark3251

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 03:27 PM

Rear+MF-12.jpg This is what mine is like. Dont have pics of mine available. I believe it is a complete sleeve hitch after viewing about 100 pics on google.From what i have seen I think I have a brinley draft plate adaptor for the hitch also.The haban sickle-mo was on a cub cadet 122 and was belly mounted. I could not get a photo sent to this post but I saw several when I googled Haban Sickle bar mower images.

Edited by clark3251, September 28, 2010 - 04:01 PM.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted September 28, 2010 - 06:43 PM

First for the lift you will either have a brinly style lift or a 3pt style lift. A 3pt could be made to fit the Masseys and there may even be a kit out there already. For the size of the Massey MF10 and 12 you are probably better off with a Brinly hitch just like in the pic you posted.

Haban made attachments for almost all gt brands. I'm not saying adapting the sickle mower to the Massey can't be done as I am sure it could be. The attachment is going to be the hard part as the sickle mower itself is probably the same one they used on almost all of them. The Cub 122 would have the pto at the front of the engine at the nose of the tractor, I don't know if the sickle mower used the mule drive to get the belt under the tractor or if the sickle mower has its own shaft that runs to the front of the tractor. The Massey 10 and 12 the pto is on the right side so you would have to make up a different arrangement for the belt also.

#5 clark3251 OFFLINE  

clark3251

• 0 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted September 29, 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the info. I am new to this and not familiar with a mule drive. I have seen pics on ebay but did not know its function.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 13, 2010 - 10:54 AM

I had a Haban sickle bar on my model 86 Cub Cadet for years. The drive shaft for it ran to the front of the tractor and connected to the PTO pulley there. I don't have any experience (yet) with the MF garden tractors so I am not sure how easily this could be adapated from a IH Cub...

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 05:45 PM

Well, even though I would LOVE to own this machine... it's not mine and I do not remember who owns it.

I see components of what appears to be the original sleeve hitch parts as well as an extra hydraulic piston. (Maybe a boost? It looks like the rod is still in place. As you can see, a big down side is how far it sticks out with the smaller 12" wheels.

Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, October 15, 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:22 PM

http://groups.yahoo....866169/pic/list

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Mike you gotta be a member on yahoo groups to see the pic.

#10 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted October 15, 2010 - 08:57 PM

its a whole album... easy to join

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 16, 2010 - 10:38 AM

Plus it is WELL WORTH joining to see all the photos! I have a bunch of stuff up there to, I need to make some updates one of these days.

#12 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 08:49 AM

Posted Image

There is no way to adjust the lower arms side to side that I can see.... How do you hook onto the lower pins?

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 09:49 AM

Well, a Cat-O hitch set up has a pre-determined width (between those eye ends on the lower arms) and it also has a pre-determined height for the top link. You can adjust the right arm to angle the hitch a bit on this set up. Most can adjust both left and right, but for the limited use of a garden tractor and a 3ph, this works just fine. On a 3ph, there should be those revolving eye ends on both ends of the lower arms, this allows you to move the arms to the side to attach a hitch to it, as well as allow for some sway. In fact, if you notice there is a welded tab on the back of the left arm and the front of the right, this is for a sway chain or rod to keep it from moving as much.

This hitch is VERY well thought out and seems to even use some of the original sleeve hitch parts. It also appears that the sleeve hitch can be simply bolted back on for use.

BTW, the top link is not on the hitch in the above photo...

#14 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted October 18, 2010 - 10:45 AM

A Cat-1 is supposed to have a pre-determined width as well but not every implement manufacturer got the memo I guess! Even so, if the pins on a Cat-0 are pre-determined, how do you get the arms to go around the pins if they don't move? The arms need to come to rest at the "base" of the pins if you will so you can lock them on with a "bejeezus pin" (that's a pin with the round ring on it that raps the bejeezus out of your knuckle when it snaps shut on it inadvertantly...)

It looks like a cool hitch but I question the usefulness of it without the ability to swing the lower arms wider or closer...? KnowhatImean?

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted October 19, 2010 - 05:05 PM

If that design does not have the pivoting ends like the hitch end at the tractor, I would assume it has enough movement built into it to slip the attachment into it. You only need maybe an inch total to get the hitch on, by the time you are all the way to the ends of the hitch, that could be a fraction a movement at the frame. They are not made to be adjustable, that is why they have the standard categories.