• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:01 PM

today my uncle told me I could have the old Ariens Manorway that has been in the woods for over 20 years. So I went to look at it and instantly noticed it needs an extreme amount of work. It's buried under leaves and junk so I dont know what the underneath looks like but there is alot of rott. the aircleaner is all rotted and the carb. looks pretty bad. It was so bad that I forgot to check if the motor spins, but I did  see that it has the single blade mower deck on it. I also noticed a hole rotted in the top of the deck. All I know for sure is the hood is in perfect shape along with the fenders. My question is would it be worth restoring and putting money in? From what I can see, it will take over a year to complete and i'm busy as it is with a different restoration. :loosing_it: Are they a rare tractor and can I find parts for it? Also, what model Tecumseh does it have? Thanks  Posted are actual pics of it and one of what I think it is.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2549.JPG
  • IMG_2550.JPG
  • IMG_2551.JPG
  • IMG_2552.JPG
  • IMG_2553.JPG
  • 1970-April.jpg

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,225 Thanks
  • 29,691 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:13 PM

VH70 Tecumseh.... 7HP.n  Likely easy enough to find a complete used engine if needed.  Not sure how many parts still available, but Tecumseh doesn't support it any more.  You can get some aftermarket parts.  The deck looks to be history.  Neat little tractor, and would likely be sharp fixed up, but you won't ever be able to sell it to recoup your investment.  Do it for the sake of doing it & you'll be fine.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well, if he said you could have it, I don't think the initial investment will hurt you too much!  How are the tires, beyond being flat from sitting?

Think about it this way: what are your goals for it?  Make it run and put it to work?  Restore to show room condition? 

I've rescued some that look about that bad, but ended up to be decent machines. 

Ben W.

#4 scotsman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2281
  • 31 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:30 PM

Cool find!  :D

its a 1969 or a 1970 Manorway..

(The tecumseh engine code, 9099, Says the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on "the 99th day of a year ending in 9"..

in this case, we can be sure that means 1969..

So the engine was assembled at Tecumseh on April 9, 1969..

Thats a bit late for the 1969 mower season (Its likely lawnmowers for the 1969 season were already assembled months before) Its possibly the engine went on a 1969 tractor, but IMO its more likely it went on a 1970 machine, that was assembled in the winter of 1969/1970, and went on sale in the spring of 1970..But it could be either year..the date code is inconclusive..IMO its most likely a 1970)

I would love to find an old Manorway! I love Ariens snowblowers..(in fact, the Manorway ad came from my webpage! ;)

Here is the thing, in my opinion, (and based on my research and reading) about Manorways..

They are very rare, quite unusual, and I have never even seen one restored! very few people have them..

but.."rare and unusual" unfortunately does not always mean "valuable" as well! :(

because you can have something rare and unusual, and it not really worth anything, simply because no one cares about it! ;) IMO, the Manorway falls in this category..

Ariens fans think they are cool, but in the overall scheme of the "Garden Tractor collecting and restoring hobby" they don't rate much interest..So yeah, you could restore it, and it would be a really cool piece to have!

but it wont be worth much..

In its current condition, its worth maybe $50, if that..

Restored? hard to say..but probably no more than $400..if you could even find an interested buyer.

So if you want to restore it, do it for yourself! :thumbs:

dont even think about the potential future value.

personally, I would love to find one! :)

(especially a 1969 Manorway! since that is the year I was born)

but there arent a lot of us who have even heard of them, let alone "want one"..

demand just isnt there IMO..

As for classification, its a "light duty" lawn tractor..(notice the vertical shaft engine)

Im not sure who made them! Its possible Ariens made these themselves, but im not sure about that..

(I dont think later Ariens tractors were actually made by Ariens)

Rare, cool, and unusual! :D

just not really valuable..

but sometimes, does that even matter?

In a case like this, the only thing that really matters is your personal interest in the machine.

(If you do restore it, please let me know! I would love to add it to the webpage!) :thumbs:

Edited by scotsman, March 02, 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#5 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,691 Thanks
  • 2,217 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's a pretty cool machine! I mean it's free to you, go get it. If you don't want to put that amount of work into it, which looks like it's going to need it, let me know and I'll give it a loving home and get her back in running order and likely restored.