#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 03:29 PM

Seeing J-buckets mentioned, had to go look. Their site is kinda goofy and hard to see pix and specs of product. I see they have pix with diff brands of tractors, was looking at wheelhorse one. Don't seem to be too cheap, specially when you add a few options!  Anyone ever try to make one? Thinking I want a loader, yet maybe this type set-up is all I really need. Can buy or build a loader tho for price of these things new. Like the idea of also making it into plow mount. Snow plow that is. Anyone here have one or info? How do the REALLY work? 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:31 PM

They work pretty well from what I've seen. A few years back when I hung out on another tractor forum there was a lot of interest in them. I remember one guy had the senior model on a JD 585 which is 4wd. He had the tooth bar on it and he dug a huge hole in his back yard with it. I thought the pics were on the JB site. The tooth bar is a great addition if you want to dig at all. For loading from a pile or shallow digging they work fine. A full size loader is much more versatile of course. It would be pretty easy to weld one up. The biggest problem is coming up with the right geometry for the dump hydraulics and getting it all to fit in a compact space. The JB is well thought out and has been on the market for quite a while now. 

I'm not familiar with a WH frame and attachment mount. The JD's have a reenforced front section with a hanger for attaching a front hitch. This is what the JB attaches to on a JD tractor. If your tractor doesn't have this type of mount you would have to figure out some sort of sub frame or perhaps make use of a front blade mount. 

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:36 PM

I saw one at sears. It may be handy for a little bit of work but you really need a tractor with a hydraulic lift. It only lifts about 8". I think the Bolens group had a write up and pictures a couple of years ago.

Someone made a setup with a simple frame and an electric winch for lift that seemed better. I think that it was on here about a year ago.

Edited by boyscout862, March 02, 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#4 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:46 PM

The Johnny Bucket is very handy, but it won't lift high like a loader.  I haven't found a job it won't do, except for loading a pickup truck.  It is incredibly well made.  The fit and finish are great.  I was lucky enough to find one used right after I got my JD 317.  I brought home the JB Sr. and in 10 minutes it was hooked up and I was turning the compost pile.  I hardly ever use my trailers anymore.

Boyscout, was the one you saw at Sears a real Johnny Bucket or the Craftsman tractor scoop?  Comparing them is like comparing apples and battleships.

Edited by ggsteve, March 02, 2013 - 04:48 PM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I know that there is another scoop out there called the superior scoop if I'm not mistaken. JD used to have that available as an option for the large GT's. It uses the 54" blade as the back wall of the scoop.  They also have a smaller scoop that looks like the Sears one but I'm not sure who makes it. The JD Sr is a strong, well designed product and I was considering one for my X475 when I had it. At the time the Canadian dollar was low and along with the high shipping cost it would have cost me 2500 or more to get one. I ended up trading up to a larger tractor but now I'm considering down sizing again as I am running out of space and really don't need something as big as the 2320 for most stuff I do. 

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 05:32 PM

GGSTEVE: the one I saw was Craftsman I think. It did not impress me.
The one that someone built with an electric winch was interesting.

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:03 PM

I've have a JB jr. on my GX335 for several years now and I LOVE IT.  From the time the snow removal attachments come off until they're needed again in the Fall the JB receiver stays on the tractor.  These things are VERY well made, well thought out, excellent welding and materials and easy to install with the included USA made fasteners.  The electrical componants including wiring and connectors are top quality.  I never once considered that foolish "blade scoop" thing once I watched the JB videos... and I was right, you just can't work a blade scoop like a JB.

They will:

Strip grass/sod right off the ground. (Toothbar helps with any digging.)  I removed several mature forsythia root clumps with mine as a first test.  You just have to learn where the limits are for digging. (Actuator override clutches will give you an audible sound when overloading.)

Mine moves firewood splits from the truckload dump pile over to the stacks self loading.

It will hold safely way more weight (hand loaded) than the actuator can lift.  In other words I have moved wood stacked by hand in the bucket as high as the "Bucket Extender" with no problem either for the bucket or tractor. 

Turns and stacks compost piles in a hurry!

Moves piled topsoil/gravel/mulch faster than a shovel/wheelbarrow.  Mine moved and spread 7yd of topsoil last summer easily and backbladed it all smooth for seeding.

Once the receiver is mounted it takes less than 1 minute to attach or detach the bucket.

If necessary you can mow with JB jr in place.

They will not:

DIG LIKE AN FEL!  Don't expect JBjr's 12v actuators to operate like a hydraulic FEL, they don't have the breakout strength or curl strength. 

If you need an FEL get one instead of trying to exceed the JB's capacity or height limit.

I ordered the 4 way "joystick" controller with mine, but I didn't hook it up originally.  I used the 2 spring loaded toggle switches mounted in an outdoor switchbox recepticle.  I promised myself the joystick will be installed for this season's operations!:D

• boyscout862 and twostep have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have the write up of the winch/snowblade/bucket in the implement section. Mine has no down pressure, but it will dig into soft ground or pile.

I like the JB, but as stated it does not lift very high.

If you are researching, do a goodle search for Bufort bucket, he is in Indiana, but maybe only builds for John deeres, not sure.

Also google Or Bilt loaders.

http://www.or-bilt.com/

Here is another one that just popped on the scene, similar to the Or Bilt.

http://littlebuckloader.blogspot.com/

If you can cut and weld, then you can build your own for cheaper, but unless your tractor already has hyrdaulics, that will rack up the price tag.

I will be building a Bufort type bucket for my MF1855 someday, I don't need a full fledge loader and as long as I am high enough to dump over side of my trailer, than I'm good.

• twostep said thank you

#9 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I have a Johnny Bucket junoir with electric actuators on dump as well as lift. It is great for what I do and I used it the first month I had it to move gravel (crushed limestone) under some temporary buildings at school where it was too tight for any other means other than wheelbarrow. It literally paid for itself within a week.
2AE92B90-F8D8-4ADE-ADFA-B6AE0D39B238-160

Nice thing about mine is you can throw it on the tractor and use it with the mower still attached.
ea56137f.jpg
  • boyscout862, twostep and TAHOE have said thanks

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 03, 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'm in love with that Allis, very nice tractor!!!

#11 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted March 04, 2013 - 12:39 AM

One more suggestion for potential buyers, go for the "Turbo Dump" actuator on the bucket.  It gives the bucket a better response time dumping and resetting to horizontal which speeds up cycle time on the job.

#12 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 12:07 AM

One more suggestion for potential buyers, go for the "Turbo Dump" actuator on the bucket. It gives the bucket a better response time dumping and resetting to horizontal which speeds up cycle time on the job.

I agree, that option was not available when I got mine.

BTW: Thanks, Tahoe, actually it is a Simplicity 3414. Sorry for the deception.
74f9613a45fc8df6eba0d8e92c897ace_zps27f4

Edited by skunkhome, March 08, 2013 - 12:12 AM.

• TAHOE said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 08, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I agree, that option was not available when I got mine.

BTW: Thanks, Tahoe, actually it is a Simplicity 3414. Sorry for the deception.
74f9613a45fc8df6eba0d8e92c897ace_zps27f4

That's okay, I'm still in love  :D

I have a HB212 in the barn with blown motor, I so want to get it restored someday, it was my dad's