• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:16 AM

So I've got a 1254 with a 12 horse wisconsion and a zenith carb. I had to rebuild the carb, and I'm having a couple problems getting it adjusted. I set it to where the book says to set the 2 to jets as a starting point, but here's my issue:

No matter where I have the choke and throttle set, it won't start unless I give it a shot of ether. Once I give it a quick blast, I turn off the choke, and it runs great. I can rev, idle, whatever I want to do. What adjustment do I make to help starting?

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Is the choke actually closing? The linkage may need adjustment.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:57 AM

When you rebuilt the carburetor did you pull the welch plugs and clean behind them?  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Is that a cast iron or aluminum Zenith?  Post your carburetor number so I can see what you have.

Somethings wrong with your choking system.  When the linkage is pulled out completely, does the choke plate seal in the carburetor?  It sounds like your Wisconsin is cold-natured, and it needs a drink of fuel to start.  If your choke plate doesn't seal 100% the engine will have trouble siphoning out enough gas to start.

Zeniths also don't siphon well if there are air leaks in the system.  I'm assuming you repacked the throttle shaft.  Do you have good gaskets on the intake manifold?

You can also try enriching the fuel mixture slightly.  Be careful, since it sounds like it runs well once it gets going. 

Ben W.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:25 AM

Choke problem , Air leak or vacuum problem could the cause..  Are you sure the float is set correctly?  If the fuel bowl level is too low this could affect the fuel draw @ start up..  Just a few thoughts..

• bhts, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Chucknbob OFFLINE  

Chucknbob
  • Member No: 22241
  • 90 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:50 AM

I know it's not a linkage issue, I disconnected the cable and moved it by hand at the carb. I have to shut the choke as soon as it starts or it dies. It does sputter for the first minute or so until it warms up, I just chalked that up to the engine being cold natured and the cold air.

No, I didn't pull the welch plugs. I soaked it for a couple days in Berryman carb dip and used cans of carb cleaner afterwards.

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 11:45 AM

A plugged idle jet or passage will make things like this happen..  A small wire or torch tip cleaner helps determine the passages are clear

• superaben said thank you