• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • Member No: 26808
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 01, 2013 - 09:16 PM

could anyone help me find an engine rebuild kit for a 8hp Tecumseh? i have a Massey Ferguson 8 with its origional factory engine in it still and it runs okay (might need some carb work) but it has had a pretty nasty knock ever since I've owned it and i would like to re-build it and if that works out i would like to restore the Massey. i figured it would be worth it since it still has the original motor on it which I'm pretty sure is a hard find. the paint is pretty rough but most of it is surface rust. thanks for your time and effort! i really would appreciate it if someone could help me! :wave:

Edited by oliver2655, March 01, 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 12:12 AM

I would try either our Site. Sponsors or if they can't help directly, maybe they have a good lead for you.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 06:38 AM

You might want to try finding another used engine. The 8hp Tec HM80 was used in a lot of stuff. I know from experience that a modern Tec HM80 from a snow blower will not work as a replacement in a electric start 8. The crank and flywheel are different and I can't exchange the flywheel to get a coil for battery charging. 

#4 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Do you have a parts manual for that engine? I have a massey 8 also and have a parts manual. You might need to just tear into it and see what you need. Then check sources for the parts needed. I needed several parts, engine and otherwise for mine when I got it going again after sitting 25+years and found them on ebay and others. Might take a bit of searching but sometime thats part of the fun. only after you have searched and turned up nothing would I search for a different engine. Something having the original engine is a big thing to me. Let me know if you need help finding parts.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 08:55 AM

I'll have in a pile of Tecumseh and Clinton parts in a few days.  No rebuild kits as far as I know, but I did see quite a few H80 parts internal parts. 

Are you planning to bore it oversize?

Ben W.

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:26 AM

I am pretty sure there will not be a complete rebuild kit for the engine. I have alot of NOS tecumseh parts here and if you have the model and spec number with what you need i can send you a cost for it.

#7 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:30 AM

I do have the parts book for it. I know for sure  i will need a connecting rod and the connecting rod barrings. I know i will need rings and a gasket set. and while im already in there i might as well replace the crank and Piston too. so basically all of the main internal parts. haha. the model number for my engine is HM80. i will get you the spec number when i go outside later today. thanks for the help guys! i will upload pics later

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I just did a look and do have a new rod, piston and a good used crank here. As for the piston there was 2 different bore sizes used and you will need to see if you have the 3 1/16 or the 3 1/8 bore.

#9 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 09:07 PM

hey im sorry i havent had time today to take a look at it. ill look at her 2morrow!

#10 oliver2655 OFFLINE  

oliver2655
  • 37 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted March 02, 2013 - 10:11 PM

photos of my Massey: http://gardentractor...sey-ferguson-8/